Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Flights in Australia

Options
  • 13-01-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I'm flying into Melbourne and travelling the whole East Coast as far as Cairns at which point I will fly from Cairns back down to Melbourne. Has anybody taken this route? Prices look expensive, €200ish. I know it's a long distance but was wondering if I wait until closer the date might I get a better last minute deal?

By the way, anyone else doing East Coast Oz around mid March - Late April?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Anybody got suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tawnie

Hey there, i flew the same route back in 2002. i remember it was quite dear alright. I walked into the local flight centre in cairns and booked it a week before i flew down. It was with qantas which was dearer than virgin blue. if you are flexible enough with times id wait and see, virgon blue are by far cheaper if i can remember but the flight times form cairns were a bit awkward. maybe different now. Try out Virgin Blue & Jet Star and maybe flighcentre.com.au. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Flights in Australia tend to more expensive than in Europe. It's also about a 3hr flight from Cairns to Mel, whereas a 3hr flight from Ireland would get to Poland. A quick search on a random date (20th March) shows you can get flights as cheap as $169 (about 110euro) with jetstar. Try webjet.com or the airlines direct - virginblue.com.au, qantas.com.au and jetstar.com.au.

Also flying during school holiday times & long weekends will make it more expensive. It's generally not cheaper to book at last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

What about Tiger Airways www.tigerairways.com/au . I am going to Oz next month and i have booked flights from Sydney - Gold Coast - Melbourne - Alice Springs with them. They have some pretty good deals.

They dont fly from Cairns but they do fly from nearby Mackay to Melbourne at prices starting from 78 AUD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

gazzer wrote: »
    What about Tiger Airways www.tigerairways.com/au . I am going to Oz next month and i have booked flights from Sydney - Gold Coast - Melbourne - Alice Springs with them. They have some pretty good deals.

They dont fly from Cairns but they do fly from nearby Mackay to Melbourne at prices starting from 78 AUD

LOL gazzer - sounds like you are too used to the Ryanair description of locations of airports. Mackay is hardly 'nearby' Cairns - it's a good 700km away - about a 9hr drive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Comordha wrote: »
    I'm flying into Melbourne and travelling the whole East Coast as far as Cairns at which point I will fly from Cairns back down to Melbourne. Has anybody taken this route? Prices look expensive, €200ish. I know it's a long distance but was wondering if I wait until closer the date might I get a better last minute deal?

By the way, anyone else doing East Coast Oz around mid March - Late April?

Ya I should be there by then.....come on exhange rate.....play flookin balllllllll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

mel.b wrote: »
    LOL gazzer - sounds like you are too used to the Ryanair description of locations of airports. Mackay is hardly 'nearby' Cairns - it's a good 700km away - about a 9hr drive!!

Is it that far away :eek: Sorry I didnt realise. I thought it was much nearer. I will take my coat and leave :D

Advertisement