Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GP2

• 13-01-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have really wanted to get into GP2 for the last several years, but one thing kept putting me off, and its this.

I understand that GP2 is supposed to be a spec series, with all cars equal. So why is it that the year after years the same teams are at the top ? It seems to be that all the cars are not equal, so its therefore very difficult to evaluate the drivers. Is this true ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Pretty much what I thought, but surely this couldn't count for more than maybe half a second ?

Some of the gaps, for drivers at this level is alot more that that. Why would anyone back a driver who is 2 seconds off the pace in a spec formula ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

thegoth wrote: »
    Some of the gaps, for drivers at this level is alot more that that. Why would anyone back a driver who is 2 seconds off the pace in a spec formula ?
    Because they have lots of money :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pretty much what I thought, but surely this couldn't count for more than maybe half a second ?

If you look at NASCAR there's very little they can change on the cars compared to GP2 and yet it's fairly consistent who'll be at the top at most tracks. IndyCar as well, there can be well over a second a lap from first to last.

Do drivers like that have no shame. I couldn't walk down a pit lane if I knew I was 2 seconds a lap slower in the same car as them and that this was just a play thing for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do drivers like that have no shame. I couldn't walk down a pit lane if I knew I was 2 seconds a lap slower in the same car as them and that this was just a play thing for you.

do you not bother to do your job because there are people better then you at it?

2 sec is not all that much, F1 regulary has bigger gaps than that even when teammates have the same car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

2 sec is not all that much, F1 regulary has bigger gaps than that even when teammates have the same car!

Not so much in recent years.

Unless you're Luca Badoer of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Not so much in recent years.

Unless you're Luca Badoer of course
    Or Kazuki Nakajima... Ah lay off Badoer, he's Ferrari's longest serving tester, surely something to be proud of. The phrase "always the bridesmaid" comes to mind..

On that subject, a bit of a pisser that Fisichella probably won't be racing this year or ever again, Ferrari have Gene and Badoer two drivers that were never going to amount to anything other than testers so why they signed fisi as a tester for this year is just baffling....

do you not bother to do your job because there are people better then you at it?

I dont think so. Rarely a gap of .5 second per lap is allowed to exisit for more than half a season. A season at most.

Can you give examples of where they are gaps on a regular basis of 2 secs per lap or over and back that up with official timing data from www.formula1.com

I doubt there is much

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

anyone know if GP2 is on any free-to-air channels? i have a basic sky setup at home but i'd love to get into gp2 for this year if possible, pity the bbc doesnt show the races like they do with 125 and 250 class for motogp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Setanta used to show it last year didn't they, maybe will again

• Advertisement
Advertisement