Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

display/graphics problem

• 13-01-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We had a power trip on Sunday due to a burst water pipe.
    When I powered my desktop bacj on the next day , windows boots up as I can hear it but the monitor is not displaying anything?
    I tried taking out the radeon pci-e card that was in it and replaced it with an old ati card that i had lying around.
    I am not 100% sure that the ati card still works.
    The monitor has a green light on it and I can see a slight flicker when it boots up first, kind if like I can see the screen for a split second but very lightly.
    Has anybody got any ideas what else it could be or how I can know for sure that it is the graphics.
    I tried pressing f8 on bootup and also tried holding down the power on the pc while plugged out ( I read that on some forum)
    And advice greatly appreciated as its been a very rough week in the house.
    Cheers.
    Sham.

The pc is a self build (not by me) lan party 4 sli running windows xp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

If you don't have a spare monitor then bring it over to a mates and test it on theirs. Easiest thing to do tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I have another pc so I suppose i could test it against the monitor.
    Its wierd coz now and again I can see very faint display.
    Cheers for the reply.

Its wierd coz now and again I can see very faint display.

Can you see a faint display when testing both graphic cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

see if you can bring up the monitor menu by pressing one of the buttons on the monitor itself and if you can see the menu dialog box, it means your monitor works but something else is screwed.... if thats the case, try and do a factory reset.

can't see anything on the monitor, so can't access anything.
    Green light is on and when I plug the vga cable out I can see the signal test colours going across the screen but barely visible.

• Advertisement

I'm betting the monitor is gone.

Cheers for the replies all.
    I will check after my dinner, instantly thought it was the graphics card.
    I didnt think it was the monitor as the green light was on but I guess that means nothing.
    Will report back within the hour.
    Thanks again.

Just hooked up a different pc to the monitor and it looks like the monitor is indeed knackered.
    It was only a dell 15" flat so not the end of the world.
    Will keep an eye out for a cheap one on adverts or might be able to scab one from work tomorrow..
    Cheers for all the replies.

Advertisement