Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are estate agents living in a world of their own?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

First off, apologies if this isn't allowed, mods, I just really feel it necessary to name and shame.

This afternoon I had an appointment to view a rental property at 4pm. According to the clock on my mobile, I got there at 16.02. The outside of the property was a bit dilapidated, I noticed the front door was ajar (i.e. v poor security) but decided I'd give the place a look anyway. By ten past 4 there was no sign of the estate agent. I called their office, to be told she was gone out to an appointment. I suggested the appointment was meant tobe with me, but nobody was here yet. The girl I spoke to said she would call the agent, Mary, and tell her I was waiting. I subsequently waited another 15 minutes, until 16.25, when I called again. I was then told Mary was on a call and would I hold. I did so and then spoke to Mary, asking where she was and why she hadn't come to meet me. She told me she had waited for me and couldn't wait any longer. I told her I had been on time. She said she had waited until 7 minutes past 4 and then had to leave. Now, either my clock on my mobile is slow - and it happens to match my laptop - or her watch was fast. Either way, I asked could she not have called me and either asked where I was or told me she couldn't wait (if indeed I was a whole 7 minutes late). She said No, and I wasn't the right sort of candidate anyway. Now, at this stage all Mary knew about me was my name and phone number, and an expressed wish to view a rental property which, frankly, looks grotty, run-down and damp. Mary became quite rude with me on the phone, raised her voice with me etc. I'll admit I was quite annoyed, but I'd been left standing in the cold for almost half an hour by her, and she didn't even see the point in calling me! (She had my mobile number, I had only her office number - will not make that mistake again)

I assume this woman, like most EAs, must be under pressure at the moment to close deals in a difficult market. I would suggest to her that she treat her potential clients with a little more courtesy and respect in the future.

I will not be giving her or her agency any business.

[Moderator note: Name of Estate agent and employee removed- please use common sense......]

[Mods, as I mentioned, if it's not ok to name and shame her please feel free to delete, but I've not said anything here which is untrue or unfair, and I think it's in the public interest to know which EAs will treat people in this manner. It was the "not the right sort of candidate" comment which really go to me. How dare she?!?! I would not have wasted an hour of my time on this grotty looking property if I knew I would be treated with such disdain by a woman who stands to make money out of me. /end rant ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

How can you tar all estate agents with the one brush because you had a bad experience with one person??:confused:

I'm not denying it was a bad experience, she should have called you if she had your mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

True, I don't mean to cast generalisations - title should perhaps read "Are these estate agents" or "Is this estate agent living in a world of her own?"

I just can't get over that, in a market where I would have thought she'd be bending over backwards to close a deal, I get 'stood up' on an icy winter's day, and then she had the audacity to give me attitude!

Apologies to other estate agents who wouldn't treat a potential client like that - I look forward to meeting you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

I think they've lost all motivation or something. Same thing happened. I was stood up outside in the cold. I complained to the office and I think othersshould to. Eventually they'll have to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Camilla, the world is full of unreasonable, miserable people. Surely your experience on boards.ie has taught you that already. :)

Don't let her ruin your day. If she was a happy, decent person she wouldn't talk to you like that. So forget about her!

Advertisement