Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Fascinated by water?!

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I always thought that cats hate water. For the last few days, one of my 2 cats (Balu) has been hopping up beside me while I do the washing up and peering at the water. When he gets he really brave he starts to Paw at the water...immediately takes it out when he realises what it is...then continues to tr it again.

I actually caught him yesterday in sink with an expression of "where the hell is the stuff that was in here yesterday gone?!" Is this normal? Or is the whole water thing just a myth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our cat used to do that! We had to start closing the bathroom door at night to stop him from turning the taps on to play with the water!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

Mine is too. He peers into the toilet, sinks and bath. He has jumped into the bath while I've been in it more than once. He then frantically scratches at my back and the side of the bath until he manages to scramble out again. Little brat can open all the doors so I have to watch out for him and flick him with water if he barges in on me just so he won't jump in.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

My two love water, they sit on the edge of the bath when I shower, spend hours peering into the toilet and lick at the taps to get the water out. When I turn on the taps (they haven't figured out how to do this yet thankfully!!!) they come running and try to catch the water with their teeth and pat it with their paws!!! They are always sticking their paws into their water bowls and spraying the water all over the place. Not too keen on being washed though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Maine Coon's apparently are besotted with water .
    Here's two funny vids of them enjoying the water :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQut54Y-rI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAVvdAMheg&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Ha ha that video is brill.

My cat also hops up on the side of the bath when I'm in it. She peers down and starts to paw at the bubbles. When she gets foam on her paw then she fratically shakes it off as if to say "ah get this stuff off me!", and then repeats the action 5 seconds later :D. It's funny to watch.

I think cat's are definitely facinated by water. I came accross this strange website ages ago http://catsinsinks.com/ which is basically just pictures of cats in sinks :confused: - bizarre!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

My cat has the same fascination with water. His favourite toy is a big dish of water that I use to float candles and flowers. He had great fun dipping his paws in the water and fishing for flowers. He also loves to drink the water- I mostly put out the dish to get him to drink more...
    He is also fascinated with the sink, plays with the drips of water. Often, when he thinks I've left for work but I have to turn back I find him sitting in the sink with an innocent expression on his face. "What's the problem, woman, I'm only doing the dishes!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I think it depends on the cat and the quantity of water involved. I know our cat is curious about the water coming out of the taps into the sink, but he absolutely hates being held near it. I think it's something to do with wanting to look at it on his own terms rather than being 'made' look at it where he feels vulnerable.

I've also heard that even though cats may not like large quantites of water and will avoid jumping into it, they can actually swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

Cats can swim if they really have to! Most will avoid it though!

This is mad I thought I was the only one with a weird cat :D

My 6 month old kitten is obsessed with water! He will sit for ages by the dog bowl and stare into the water. Then he will start patting the water, sometimes he goes totally mad and its like he is trying to dig a hole in the water! Ends up all out on the floor which drives me mad! Caught him one time lying aroung the bowl and putting the tip of his tail into the water. When it touched the water he would jump but kept doing it! So funny. Lately he sits in the sink too! MAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There are breeds known for their affinity to water. The Turkish Van will happily play and swim in water.

Ours just sits in the sink with the water flowing around his paws..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We had a cat that would only drink running water usually as it pooled in the sink. Apparently some cats are like that. Or maybe they still know that water=fish=food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

My OH's parents used to have a cat who liked to take a dip in their pond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

Everytime my Cat hear's the tap being turned on she jumps on the sink and sticks her head under it! i thought it was weird at the start but its quite amusing now :D

Advertisement