Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken ankle, how soon can I walk after surgery

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

broken ankle, how soon can I walk after surgery?, leg is in half leg cast, anyone any experiance of this? some people say 4 weeks, others say, 6 to 8 weeks

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its really down to your doctors and physiotherapist. Some people will heal faster / slower than others. Some people have also been injured more less than others. My brother had his leg broken during the year and is still on crutches, having previously been in a wheelchair (shoulder also broken). After 4 months he was able to cross the room without crutches, but would still use it when out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

you'd need an x-ray to check it's heeled..i worked in ortho in the NHS..and it depended on how quickly it healed/ what type of fracture it was..whether itwas external or an internal fixation..

it was 6 weeks for a standard internally fixed ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Thanks snorlax.

I had the cast removed on Thursday (11th Feb), x-rays looked good and the doctor said I can now put full weight on the ankle... ye right, I wasnt ready for the pain from that one..:D.. anyway, I went for my first hour long session with the physio therapist and all went well, I hobbled out on one crutch.

I had broken both bones in the ankle, the bigger one had internal fixation (screws & pins, the outer bone could not get surgery due to the big blisters caused by the displacement).

I am starting to feel better and despite the docs and the physio saying I can start to walk.. I am going to take it easy for a short while longer, I don't want to over do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

wait till you try and do stairs!

snorlax wrote: »
    wait till you try and do stairs!

thanks for the reminder!!.. stairs.. not been up them for 7 weeks now :eek:

• Advertisement

nearly 9 weeks on.. and I can manage 20 to 30 minute walks using both crutches, using the one crutch I still get discomfort and I give up to start using the 2 again (soft or what)........

Advertisement