Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASRPC competition calander

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

whoooo hooo new calander starting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Greenacre

This is great news, we really need as many people as possible to compete, if only for the fun and experience.

The new format to award national discipline champions is very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

Greenacre wrote: »
    This is great news, we really need as many people as possible to compete, if only for the fun and experience.

The new format to award national discipline champions is very interesting.

absolutly wanna see loads a new faces there too
    even if it,s just to have a look at what other disciplines there are to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

xesse & greenacre - thanks for pointing us all in the right direction!:D

Re: the NASRPC competition in Rathdrum on the 23rd, I would like to make it if possible and my own "time-constraints" allow it:rolleyes:.

A couple of quick questions you may be able to answer for me:

- Is this an Open? (i.e. open to non-NASRPC members)
    - Also, what are the rules for 25yd Sporting (Prone) Rifle - e.g. what rifles/calibres/equipment (e.g. scopes, slings, etc.?) are allowed be used?

Thanks in advance:)

dC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dCorbus wrote: »
    xesse & greenacre - thanks for pointing us all in the right direction!:D

+1 on that. Would like to know about the shoots myself (as in, can non-NASRPC members shoot).

What would be involved with joining as an individual, if my range is not affiliated. I'm not the greatest shot but would enjoy watching some competitions but more importantly would love to start taking part in more competitions.

Also what calibres at what competitions, info like that. Where can i find a copy of the calender. PM if you like.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

you would want to ask the committee about the joining and stuff and as for the questions on calibre in each competition. well the best place for that discussion is on the range maybe on the 23rd in rathdrum:):):)
    ezridax wrote: »
    +1 on that. Would like to know about the shoots myself (as in, can non-NASRPC members shoot).

What would be involved with joining as an individual, if my range is not affiliated. I'm not the greatest shot but would enjoy watching some competitions but more importantly would love to start taking part in more competitions.

Also what calibres at what competitions, info like that. Where can i find a copy of the calender. PM if you like.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Would like to know about the shoots myself (as in, can non-NASRPC members shoot).

All NASRPC Competitions are open to individuals who are not members of affiliated clubs - obviously, as with all competitions, they would need to meet the legislative requirements for taking part.

They are at a disadvantage in some ways - obviously - if you are not a member of an affiliated club then you cannot qualify for the awards of
    'NASRPC National Champion' in each Discipline or the award of
    'NASRPC Overall National Champion'.

Obviously the Range Operator who is hosting the competition has final discretion as to who uses their range. If there are local rules then comply with them.
    What would be involved with joining as an individual, if my range is not affiliated.

NASRPC does not accept individual affiliations - remember is it is the National Association of Sporting Rifle and Pistol Clubs.

Following the last AGM they accept affiliations from Clubs and/or Ranges.

If there are a few of you from your club then you could ask your club to affiliate so ye have a shot at lifting the cup - perhaps then your club could look at hosting an NASRPC National Competition themselves.
    - Also, what are the rules for 25yd Sporting (Prone) Rifle - e.g. what rifles/calibres/equipment (e.g. scopes, slings, etc.?) are allowed be used?
    Also what calibres at what competitions, info like that.

The NASRPC Website is being overhauled at the moment and will contain the outline and rules of each discipline. Many of them are already covered there.

Sporting Rifle - 22lr rifle. - 40 shots on the NSRA 25 yard target (in RRPC that is an electronic target - 59mm aiming mark). 20 minutes per detail.
    Where can i find a copy of the calender. PM if you like.

The Calendar has not been finalised yet.
    When it is published it will be announced here - won't be long now.
    As each competition is coming close they will also be announced here.

If you have specific questions w.r.t the calendar you can contact the NASRPC.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

That's great info, b'man - thanks for that.:)

Just one quick question though as I'm still a bit unclear!:confused:
    Sporting Rifle - 22lr rifle. - 40 shots on the NSRA 25 yard target (in RRPC that is an electronic target - 59mm aiming mark). 20 minutes per detail.

Fine with the calibre, but is this discipline shot with iron or aperture sights or with a riflescope?

Are shooting slings and jackets allowed or is this shot from the bench?

Thanks.

dC

(Actually, sorry, that was two quick questions!;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Fine with the calibre, but is this discipline shot with iron or aperture sights or with a riflescope?

In truth I actually do not know as I do not take part in this discipline.

I tried to shoot it once but I actually cannot get into the prone position and look over the sights - something wrong with my neck.

It is 25 yard on an indoor range with electronic targets so a scope sounds like overkill to me but I seem to recollect people using them.

There are 50 yard and 100 yard disciplines also - just not at the Rathdrum Range
    Are shooting slings and jackets allowed or is this shot from the bench?

It is shot prone - lying down.

I have seen many people in full ISSF Thunderbird suits with the straps, gloves and gimp helmet shooting this and I have seen lads throw down their jacket, lie down on it and beat them. (Actually the gimp helmet may have been at a party, not a competition :D )

So I suppose in answer to your question - as far as I know - you can get all strapped up for this.

However, I will defer to the wisdom of those who actually shoot it.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

This has usually followed the NASRPC rules for prone "any sight" competitions. This means that you can use any sight you want including open and aperture iron sights. Most people use scopes, any power allowed. Jackets and single point slings are allowed. Rifle must be a standard, factory, sporting rifle such as an Anchutz, 1422,1717, 1712, CZ, Unique Ruger etc. Heavy barrel models are not allowed. The sling attachment point should be the original sling swivel and not one that has been moved back. Trigger weight used to be set at a 2 pound minimum. .22LR low velocity ammo only. However, I have not seen some of these rules being policed in the last while and have observed liberties creeping in so perhaps it is time to restate the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Any sights? No wonder B'man saw ISSF lads getting beaten :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Any sights? No wonder B'man saw ISSF lads getting beaten :D
    I would respectfully (as a past winner of the any sights competition in Bisley using open sights :D) that it makes no difference.

What Bananaman saw was two or three lads shooting the competition not knowing that they only had 20 minutes for forty shots :eek:! A little disgruntled they were too but got over it in the end, after it was pointed out to them that they had been told twenty minutes but heard something else. ;)

It was a bit silly tbh because they really shouldn't have been taking part (vis a vis fourtycoats comment) but had turned up in the mistaken belief that it was prone rifle rather than prone sporting rifle.

You really don't find it easier to shoot on a scope rrpc?

hmm. I'm starting to think I need to step that eyetest up, my shooting lens prescription might be out more than I think it is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    You really don't find it easier to shoot on a scope rrpc?

hmm. I'm starting to think I need to step that eyetest up, my shooting lens prescription might be out more than I think it is :(
    It's maybe a bit easier but it also can lead you into bad habits. I don't honestly believe it is an advantage, as that time I won the 50m, the 100 yard and the aggregate all with open sights as I'd forgotten to bring my scope.

I think you're less inclined to follow your shot routine when you have a scope and can clearly see the target; tempting you to take the shot when perhaps you should take a little more time.

It was proof enough for me anyway :)

yep i only shot this discipline a couple of times with open sights and scope and i had a better score with open sights ,
    this prone rifle stuff is too tough for me anyway
    i,ll stick to pistol
    rrpc wrote: »
    It's maybe a bit easier but it also can lead you into bad habits. I don't honestly believe it is an advantage, as that time I won the 50m, the 100 yard and the aggregate all with open sights as I'd forgotten to bring my scope.

I think you're less inclined to follow your shot routine when you have a scope and can clearly see the target; tempting you to take the shot when perhaps you should take a little more time.

It was proof enough for me anyway :)

Hm. I've noticed I found the sight picture a lot easier on a scope than with arpeture sights, so I guess that eye test just went up a place or two on the to-do list :(

Advertisement