Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barn Owl

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure I saw a Barn Owl on Monday evening. Couldn't believe it. I've seen a few in the UK so know what they look like in the dark.

I won't give location publicly as I believe its on the rare list.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I seen one once. Always imagined them bigger than it was. Maybe it was a young one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wonderful bird to see! They are about the same in length as a Jackdaw and, as you say, smaller than most people imagine.

Just for the record: Young birds, once fledged, are usually not perceptively smaller than adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I regularly see one in a spot I go fishing at during the summer evenings.
    I always get a fright as he does his nightly rounds as he flies so close to the bank. Beautiful bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

there is three barn owls resident in my hayshed which is the old timber type round corrugated sheeted structure which they really like,they dont like the modern steel framed "A" type sheds which are standard on most farms now,very happy to have them here in kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

large bird flew over me in north dublin this evening.
    white under - light brown top.
    it glided more than flapped wings.
    Might this be barn owl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

If near dunes, bull island etc. Possibly short eared owl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fabhcungorm

Probably a Buzzard resevoirdubdub - quite common in Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Probably a Buzzard resevoirdubdub - quite common in Dublin now

Short Ear Owls are common sight in the evenings hunting around the dunes around Bull Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Im pretty sure I saw a barn owl about a week or so ago. It was just before 9pm and obviously pitch black as it was late January. I was at the golf driving range and what I presume was a barn owl (same colour as one anyway) flew overhead and was clearly visable due to the whole place being lit up. Ive seen a barn owl in captivity before so I know their size, and even though this thing wasnt very big, im pretty sure no species of bat could reach that size. It certainly wasnt gliding either as one previous poster suggested. This fella was flapping away like mad. Only got to see him for a couple of seconds unfortunatly as he was gone in no time. Its amazing too how, given their predominatly white feathers, they are very well hidden in the darkness of the night sky. Once he was past the range of the lights I couldnt see anything of him. Lovely Bird. The sighting was a few miles outside Portmarnock by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Saw a dead one on the motorway earlier in the week in the UK :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We have some older outbuilding on the farm which are not in regular use, storage mainly. I was thinking about putting up a few barn owl boxes, what are the chances of getting barn owls into them??

I know the barn owl is rare and I don't know of any sighting close to us, what could we do to increase our chances of getting them??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

seen only a few owls in my day. i accompanied a friend out calling foxes one night and he had an eletric caller that made a rabbit squeel. we were there for a few minutes and a barn owl flew right down over our heads and i couldnt beleive it.

seen another owl the other night whilst driving through a wooded area but i dont know what type of owl it was. also i seen a big large barn owl whilst out at dawn duck shooting last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Tipp Man wrote: »
    We have some older outbuilding on the farm which are not in regular use, storage mainly. I was thinking about putting up a few barn owl boxes, what are the chances of getting barn owls into them??
    Worth a shot. Boxes should increase your chances.
    Tipp Man wrote: »
    I know the barn owl is rare and I don't know of any sighting close to us, what could we do to increase our chances of getting them??

I know they are very vulnerable to disturbance, so remoter from people/activity the better. Apparently the further the nest from a road the less likelyhood of (newly fledged young unes) being killed by traffic.

In terms of encouraging them, I guess best way is to encourage their food in the locality. Unimproved cover/wilderness for mice, pygmy shrews, ...

Advertisement