Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.260 rem

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever come across a rifle chamebered in .260??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there was a lot of noise about it a few years ago ,some makers have dropped it from production now.
    its another pup out of the 308 kennel .a 6.5-08 another wildcat for some one that has more money than brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

newby.204 wrote: »

you can't beat the standard 60 year old .308win , a lot of these new cartridges were invented more to drum up sales than to fulfill any actual need .and you can buy .308 ammo anywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

last one i saw was in mick duggans gunshop in killarney so they are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

newby.204 wrote: »

I reserched this round myself in a bid to find a suitable round for a rebuild project i intend to do(some day)

The real plus point of the .260 rem is that you can have a decent 6.5 built on a short action, and i my opinion it strikes a happy balance between .243 and .308.
    Projectile weights falls between 120 and 140gr which in hunting terms is more than capable for sika and fallow.

In terms of target use this round became very popular in the mid 90's in the US and is used extensively for tactical competitions. It has a flatter tajectory and lighter recoil than .308 and shoots very well out to 600yards.

Ammo would be a bit of an issue but i'm sure most dealers would get it for you. I do know that John Greene stocks it.

If your planning to have a accurate rifle built and want something a little bit different, i would said its a definite option, but if you are just buying a stock unit i would go outta my way to find one. There are plenty of standard calibers which will do anything you would require them to do.

I've used a Rem700 chambered for .260 in Nevanda and can attest to its ability

Hezz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

cant agree there there 7mm08 is a far better round .the 260 is a dead duck. the 243 is big in the tactical matches you talk about the have a few extra twists using a 105 gr head .

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    cant agree there there 7mm08 is a far better round .the 260 is a dead duck. the 243 is big in the tactical matches you talk about the have a few extra twists using a 105 gr head .

I did say that there are plenty of standard calibers available which would cover his needs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

jwshooter wrote: »
    there was a lot of noise about it a few years ago ,some makers have dropped it from production now.
    its another pup out of the 308 kennel .a 6.5-08 another wildcat for some one that has more money than brains.
    I`ve two barrels/uppers for one rifle .260Rem and .308Win the down side to the 6.5mm is the cost of them if we could make are own ammunition i`d use it all the time! the up side to the 7.62mm cheaper ammunition! + if you use a .223Rem with just a barrel change you could go up to 6.5mm Grendel bullet, Any how the .260 is a better bullet Thats my two cents

what are you going to be using the rifle for newby .204 ? i believe that the 6.5x47 lapua beats the .260 rem in nearly every way and is supposed to be extremely accurate , thats if you want it for target shooting .
    another problem is to get the best out of these rounds you'd want to be handloading , and in this dead-loss country i don't see that happening anytime soon .

I thought that the .260 retained more fps out beyond 500yards than the 6.5x47?

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I thought that the .260 retained more fps out beyond 500yards than the 6.5x47?

you are right hezz , but i think the advantages of these cartridges is barrel life , its supposed to be 4,000+ rounds , which is good compared to some others ,
    http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=3

• Advertisement

Prices From Gun Shop in the north east, Box of twenty 120GR. Remington premier accutip boat tail (PRA260RA) 58.00 euro
    Box of twenty 140GR. Core-lokt PSP (R260R1) 50.00 euro
    Rip off Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ammo isn't cheap here, but depending on what you shoot at least, it's no cheaper in the north. Certainly for .25-06 it isn't.

Tricky1127 wrote: »
    Prices From Gun Shop in the north east, Box of twenty 120GR. Remington premier accutip boat tail (PRA260RA) 58.00 euro
    Box of twenty 140GR. Core-lokt PSP (R260R1) 50.00 euro
    Rip off Eire

thats absolutely crazy money :mad:

rowa wrote: »
    thats absolutely crazy money :mad:
    I`ve in the work shop Reloading kit -Case lube kit-digital scales, i`m going to stop now as i cann`t see the keybord with the tears in my eyes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

.308 it is then, i was probably always going to go with that anyway but you know yourselves!!

Advertisement