Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knor Stock Pots

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed a few people here raving about Knor Stock Pots.
    Now, I haven't tried them but having looked at the ingredients, they don't seem much different from knor stock cubes (ie main ingredient is salt).
    While I do like to make my own stock, I do sometimes use stock cubes but are these pots really any different from cubes or are they just a way of getting us to spend more money and produce more waste packaging at the same time?
    The fact that Marco endorses them does nothing to convince me - I have more faith in my fellow posters here.

So what's the verdict and has anyone made up both pot and cube and tasted the difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I tried these a little while back and found them way saltier than the cubes, which can be salty. I haven't tried them since and have gone back to the cubes when I need them.

And you're right, the flavour is the exact same as the cubes IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've started using them recently. I never used the Knorr Stock Cubes, so can't compare.

But.

The two times I've used I had the tastiest sauce I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've used the chicken ones and my first impression was that they were way tastier than the cubes. Can't really comment on the saltiness as I'm pretty liberal with the seasoning myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

I've used both the stock-pots and the cubes, and the stock-pots win hands down.

I think the flavour is more intense, and there is none of the saltiness that I always found when using a stock-cube.

I've used both the chicken (to make gravy from the juices of my roast chicken) and beef (used in the sauce for a beef casserole recipe) pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭molliesassy

I have used the beef stock pots a few times and found them to be very salty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

are these the best option we have for stocks short of doing it properly with bones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I used a veg one in someone's house the other day - SALTY - very salty!!

When I make stock, there is no salt in it - I season the dish that the stock goes into. Why can't manufacturers do the same??
    I wonder what would be left if they took the salt out??

Don't get me wrong, I use salt all the time - I just like to have control over how much I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

are these the ones that are jellified...."like all good stocks"?

How would you go about jellifying home made stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ay.adrian

stock will often naturally be gelatinous. depends on the parts of the animal used as the how jelly like it will be.
    generally though a cooled stock thats been made using a decent quantity of bones will 'jellify' to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The less water in the stockpot the better. That way the flavour is concentrated and the stock turns to jelly when it cools. It also depends on how long you cook the bones for along with the type of bones & meat.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

being a vegetarian i have only used the vegetable ones and i found them to be really nice, have to say i didnt notice a salty taste but they are much nicer in soups then a stock cube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

They're *way* nicer than the cubes IMO. Tried beef chicken and veg ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I bought the chicken flavour and used one to cook some veg. There is a flavour to the stock reminiscent of the tinned chicken noodle soups, and there is always a red fleck in the stock. At first I thought it was sweet peppers, but a quick scan of the ingredients says no. Whatever the ingredients, there is always a flavour with cubes or these new jellies that is not there with a home made stock. Maybe it's added chicken fat or the chicken powder:confused:

What do you have to do to a chicken before it's powder?

Advertisement