Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Cat!!

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,049 ✭✭✭✭

Over time we have discovered that one of our cats will eat the strangest things - mostly discovered by what he pulls out of the compost bin!

They are fed exclusively on dry food but here's some of the strange things that the ginger boy likes:

Hot Bombay Mix
    Green beans
    Baked potatoes
    Avocados

Anyone else with cats with strange tastes??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

When I was growing up I had a cat, Ginger, who would eat the weirdest things like Pineapple, Carrots, Broccoli and Jam amoung other strange stuff. One year we came home to her helping the dog eat the Christmas Cake! Crazy felines - I miss having them!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yesterday I saw a youtube video where a dog and a cat was eating watermelon :D
    Growing up our cat liked cucumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,049 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Magnus wrote: »
    Yesterday I saw a youtube video where a dog and a cat was eating watermelon :D
    Growing up our cat liked cucumber.

Ooo must try him on some cucumber!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

One of ours likes salad greens, she actually stole a bag of rocket once, and helped herself. Strange girl. Another steals pizza crusts, he chews the softer bready part, and leaves the rest, much like his owner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Just be careful OP avocados are poisonous to cats along with a good few other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

My two cats will eat almost anything you put in front of them, including chinese, pasta, chocolate, ice cream, anythin really.
    But there all time favourite is cold tea, they could drink it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

My parents' cat eats peppers with a preference for green ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Mine will eat anything and everything if we allowed them. They love crisps, cheese and onion and Meanies! Green olives with pimento peppers, hoummus, ketchup. They're a weird pair. The OH freaked out the other day because the younger one ate a feather off my dream catcher, he could understand why I was laughing at him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

My parents had a cat years ago who love curries - and the hotter the better

• Registered Users Posts: 17,049 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

anniehoo wrote: »
    Just be careful OP avocados are poisonous to cats along with a good few other things.

Didn't know that, thanks.

All he ever does is lick the skins, though.

Oh, I forgot, he like hummus too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

The resident cat eats cat food and cat food only. The previous one had a weakness for mince meat: meatballs, lasagna, shepherd's pie. He also loved Chinese barbequed spare ribs and chicken stock, mind you, the stock only not the boiled chicken! He would scream the house down and bang pots and pans if you didn't give him any!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Mine loves raw potatoes, but won't go near cooked ones.
    Taytos are his big treat, though (stolen from us, of course - wouldn't willingly give them to him). But he turns his nose up at Walkers crisps.

We only feed him pellets, so maybe it's a deficiency in them (better not be, though, he's fussy and only eats the most expensive brand!).
    Strange animal, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My cat has eaten: vicks (ya the stuff you put n when your sick!) ice cream (she loves it) coke she ADORES pasta. She LOVES cheese. Oh and she won't eat any cat food that has fish in it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

cyning wrote: »
    My cat has eaten: vicks (ya the stuff you put n when your sick!) ice cream (she loves it) coke she ADORES pasta. She LOVES cheese. Oh and she won't eat any cat food that has fish in it!!!

I read somewhere that it was a misconception that cats liked fish of any kind, just some stereotype that grew out of something or other!!! My cats will eat fish but they don't like it any more than chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I read somewhere that it was a misconception that cats liked fish of any kind, just some stereotype that grew out of something or other!!! My cats will eat fish but they don't like it any more than chicken.
    She'd go hungry before she'd eat any kind of fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Our male cat will literally try and eat anything.
    He has eaten:
    Green pesto
    Curry
    Tinned tomato
    baked beans
    mashed potato
    spaghetti

The female has tried:
    Chillis. She plays with them but definitely chews them too, judging by the state of them when I find them in various places around the house.
    Tinsel - not sure that counts :rolleyes:
    Asparagus

Both of them will demolish any diary products but we keep them away from that stuff if we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭bananabunch

We have an ex-stray kitten we brought in from outside, so far she has eaten bread, pasta, salad, popcorn, chips, egg, crisps, tomatoes pretty much anything savory. Would be good to know what foods are poisonous to cats, I know onions are as well as avocados.

Another thing I wanted to know is we also have two snakes which are in the same room as the cat (she is only allowed in the living room so far until she becomes more used to her new home). The cat is very interested in the snakes watching them and pouncing on the tank window. If she did ever manage to slide the door open is the snake likely to harm her or would she kill the snake or would she avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

My cat is the opposite - he's very fussy. He'll eat dry food no problem but he'll eat all the duck pieces first followed by whatever the red ones are and then the brown ones. He doesn't like the end bits and broken bits of the dry food.

Wet food he'll only eat 1/3 of whatever is in the box (so the other 2/3 is graciously eaten my my cousins cats) AND he'll lick the jelly off and maybe eat a little of the meat. Only shirmp & prawns and whitefish gets eaten fully. If he accidentally gets tuna or turkey he might lick some of the jelly off but will under no circumstance finish it. He'd rather go hungry (so the stray cats gets his leftovers).

Now we've tried every brand but he's fussy like a child. His brother (RIP) would eat anything. In fact we strongly believed he ate the bouncy rubber balls that he used to play with. There was chunks missing out of several of them and we've never found them! He was a great sandwich cat - no matter what you had in your sandwich he was up like a shot sniff it and trying to lick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I know this is gross, but my cat has a serious thing for ear wax. Cant remember how we discovered it but if I so much as scratch my ear she's all over me trying to lick my fingers. weird cat.

Advertisement