Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with private clamping company in city centre residential and buisness park

Options
  • 13-01-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi I really hope someone can help me!

I moved into my apartment on 14/11/09, and recieved carpark access from 17/12/09, in the complex we share our underground carpark with a government office and a banking headquarters.

I've been parking in what I thought was my space (78) since 17/12, and have not had any problems until today, when I discovered a clamp attached to my vehicle (grrr). The sign on my driver-side window stated the declamp fee was €120, as I had parked in an allocated space without authorisation. There was no notice number written on this sign, the same sign which told me to contact them quoting the notice number above. All I can say I went into meltdown... as I have had other (rather expensive) issues with my car in the garage today.

I called my landlord who clarified that it was in fact space 79 I should be in, but by now someone had parked in it... I was very tempted to contact the clamping company, but held back! When I called the clamping call centre I was informed I had to pay my fee and can then appeal it. I promptly paid by laser card, as I was already late to the garage to have my car repaired and needed to get going asap!

The girl on the phone took my laser card details, I was in a bit of shock and didn't cop she'd never mentioned how much she was going to charge me! After getting off the phone I saw a blue enforcement notice on my windscreen, the receipt attached indicated that the release fee was €90. I decided I better call them back to clarify how much I'd actually been charged, and the gentleman informed me I'd been charged €95! I asked him where this number came out of! And he said they had a €5 charge for use of credit and laser cards! I told him if I'd known this I'd have paid in cash, as I had enough with me (going to garage!), he said there was nothing he could do (fair enough) and he told me I would get the full amount back if I appealed!

I feel this situation was an honest mistake on my part, and I while I could have maliciouly had the government office vehicle parked in my space clamped in payback I didn't, even though it was so tempting... since I am a very unhappy indirect employee of this office! I really cant afford this right now, as I later found out in the garage my brake is shot and I'm getting charged €360 for the pleasure of having it repaired and changing the brake fluid less than 4000kms since last (rip-off) service :'(

If anyone could help by suggesting a format for a letter of appeal and maybe any other reasons it would really be much appreciated, I'm feeling very stressed out about the amount of money that has escaped my purse today :'(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can't see how this is the clampers fault, TBH. It's either your fault or your landlord's, depending on which space they actually told you was yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Anan1 wrote: »
    I can't see how this is the clampers fault, TBH. It's either your fault or your landlord's, depending on which space they actually told you was yours.

What he said....it's a bummer but from the clampers' point of view, you were in a space you shouldn't have been so they'll happily shaft you, regardless of who is to blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So did your landlord give you the wrong info, or did you read the right info wrong?

If the latter, then tough shít. If it's the former, I'd be asking your landlord to cover the cost. Either way, the clampers were right to do what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Stonypockets

To be honest I believe I was TOLD space 78 and this I confirmed with my housemate the first day I parked there, she said she was pretty sure it was 78, but when I look at my lease NOW it does say 79. I still wanna lodge an appeal as it was genuinely an honest mistake! And again, any help would really really be much appreciated!
    I know its my own fault, but if someone had left a note on my car window saying not to park there I would have moved once I'd confirmed it with my landlord! I'd been parking there for the best part of a week before and a week after xmas break (as well as the whole two weeks of xmas break - I had to work xmas!), and nobody approached me or anything! I genuinely made a stupid mistake!
    And anyway, lets face it anyone who gets clamped begrudges paying the fee... :)

To be honest I believe I was TOLD space 78 and this I confirmed with my housemate the first day I parked there, she said she was pretty sure it was 78, but when I look at my lease NOW it does say 79. I still wanna lodge an appeal as it was genuinely an honest mistake! And again, any help would really really be much appreciated!
    I know its my own fault, but if someone had left a note on my car window saying not to park there I would have moved once I'd confirmed it with my landlord! I'd been parking there for the best part of a week before and a week after xmas break (as well as the whole two weeks of xmas break - I had to work xmas!), and nobody approached me or anything! I genuinely made a stupid mistake!
    And anyway, lets face it anyone who gets clamped begrudges paying the fee... :)
    Appeals are for when the clampers make mistakes. What about the person who actually owned the space you were parking in, have you thought about how much you might have inconvenienced them at all?

• Advertisement

I am fully aware of the inconvenience I caused, at the same time the inconvenienced party was very quick to park in my space, and had no qualms about it, while dialing the clampers, is there no such thing as human error Anan1? Or moreover an allowance for it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

To be honest I believe I was TOLD space 78 and this I confirmed with my housemate the first day I parked there,

Hows it your fault so? Withhold the same amount from your next management fee, these people ( your management agency ) should be able to sort this issue out. These clampers have little chance in profiting in a 'fair' system.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Private Clampers operating in private car parks have no legal right to pursue anybody ( they have no access to the owners details ),so my advie to anybody clamped on private property by private clampers get it chopped off preferably in the middle of the night as in my experience they are never too far away and can pursue you for criminal damage if the clamp is damaged !My sis lives in an apt complex plagued by clampers and i have successfully removed a clamp twice without causing any damage to car or clamp !

I am fully aware of the inconvenience I caused, at the same time the inconvenienced party was very quick to park in my space, and had no qualms about it, while dialing the clampers, is there no such thing as human error Anan1? Or moreover an allowance for it?!
    We all make mistakes. The question here is why somebody else should pay for yours.

@squod - read first, then type - the OP's lease gives the correct space number.;)

Anan1 wrote: »

@squod - read first, then type - the OP's lease gives the correct space number.;)

Fair enough, having written a few leases in my time I can tell you that mobile phone numbers and car registration plates are typically the stuff you'd find on them! A quick phone call to the management company generally gets these problems sorted in minutes in my experience.

Callin' in the clampers is what you do to people who haven't filled out a bunch of forms n'stuff. Withhold the payment OP. Or it'll just keep happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

OP if it makes you feel any better, last week I was asked for directions by a guy in a NCPS clamper van or whatever they're called and I sent him the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Write your letter claiming your innocent mistake, you never know what will happen, it can't hurt, the most you'll be out is a piece of paper, envelope and stamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Now in my opinion the clampers are there to uphold order in the car park. They're not there to shaft residents and extract money under all circumstances. I think you have agenuine case and if the company doesn't think so then that would just be another case of the profiteering, extracting and f*** you attitude which seems all to prevalent in the world of Irish business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I would never call the clampers on somebody.
    This is terrible you were clamped when you'd be parking there for weeks pity nothing could of being done day1, somebody parked in my space once and i left a note on the window telling them it was my space please don't park here.

Don't think you've a chance to see the money back though.

The Credit card machine charge is down to the bank really rather then the clampers, but E5 is a bit steep, should be between 1.5% and 2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Quick to park go your spot? Was he clamped too? If I was him I'd be pretty annoyed at someone causing me to get done

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The sign on my driver-side window stated the declamp fee was €120, as I had parked in an allocated space without authorisation.
    The girl on the phone took my laser card details, I was in a bit of shock and didn't cop she'd never mentioned how much she was going to charge me! After getting off the phone I saw a blue enforcement notice on my windscreen, the receipt attached indicated that the release fee was €90.
    Is the 120 an error?

realcam wrote: »
    Now in my opinion the clampers are there to uphold order in the car park. They're not there to shaft residents and extract money under all circumstances. I think you have agenuine case and if the company doesn't think so then that would just be another case of the profiteering, extracting and f*** you attitude which seems all to prevalent in the world of Irish business

Are you for real ! let me give you my experience at my sisters apt in glasnevin opposite a primary school . At 1.25 two clamping vans pull up and hide at 1.30 parents start arriving to collect their kids these fckurs wait until the mothers leave their cars to cross the road to collect their kids and then throw a clamp on. The day I was there i made such a fuss that no cars were clamped , but it happends every day and if your not savvy you get clamped actually ive heard that the kids have to cross the road by themselves because the parents that know are afraid to leave their car for fear of been clamped and this as you alledge is upholding order in the car park my ass ! this is blatant profiteering ! these people prey on the vunerable and the sooner we as a society cop on and stand up against these exploitive morons the better ! Actually sorry their not morons we are to accept this

Darsad wrote: »
    Are you for real ! let me give you my experience at my sisters apt in glasnevin opposite a primary school . At 1.25 two clamping vans pull up and hide at 1.30 parents start arriving to collect their kids these fckurs wait until the mothers leave their cars to cross the road to collect their kids and then throw a clamp on. The day I was there i made such a fuss that no cars were clamped , but it happends every day and if your not savvy you get clamped actually ive heard that the kids have to cross the road by themselves because the parents that know are afraid to leave their car for fear of been clamped and this as you alledge is upholding order in the car park and sure there is no way this is profiteering !

You should look into boxing in those vans if possible.

Are you for real ! let me give you my experience at my sisters apt in glasnevin opposite a primary school . At 1.25 two clamping vans pull up and hide at 1.30 parents start arriving to collect their kids these fckurs wait until the mothers leave their cars to cross the road to collect their kids and then throw a clamp on. The day I was there i made such a fuss that no cars were clamped , but it happends every day and if your not savvy you get clamped actually ive heard that the kids have to cross the road by themselves because the parents that know are afraid to leave their car for fear of been clamped and this as you alledge is upholding order in the car park my ass ! this is blatant profiteering ! these people prey on the vunerable and the sooner we as a society cop on and stand up against these exploitive morons the better ! Actually sorry their not morons we are to accept this
    so some parents will jepordise their kids safety for a parking spot?
    I don't think the clampers (public or private contract?) are clamping people parked legally!

Now we're back to this Irish thing of 'Ah, sure i'll only be a minute...' etc etc. If you don't want the clamp, don't park there.

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    Quick to park go your spot? Was he clamped too? If I was him I'd be pretty annoyed at someone causing me to get done

According to the site security my car was reported to the clamping company by the guy who parked in my space, and left his car there all day. Although very tempting to call clampers on him I resisted!
    kbannon wrote: »
    Is the 120 an error?

When I called them back the guy I spoke to waived it off as the clamper must have ran out of €90 signs... Dunno if this might have any bearing on an appeal?
    At 1.25 two clamping vans pull up and hide at 1.30 parents start arriving to collect their kids these fckurs wait until the mothers leave their cars to cross the road to collect their kids and then throw a clamp on. The day I was there i made such a fuss that no cars were clamped , but it happends every day and if your not savvy you get clamped actually ive heard that the kids have to cross the road by themselves because the parents that know are afraid to leave their car for fear of been clamped and this as you alledge is upholding order in the car park my ass ! this is blatant profiteering ! these people prey on the vunerable and the sooner we as a society cop on and stand up against these exploitive morons the better ! Actually sorry their not morons we are to accept this

That is s**t! Reality is schools and places like this should have a designated pickup/dropoff point! Its ridiculous mothers have to abandon their (I presume very young) kids on the opposite side of the road because they cant take leave the car for sixty seconds! - The clampers are taking advantage of very poor planning, but thats nothing new in this country!

Anyways I'm still gonna appeal, I probably wont get anything back, but you never know! Also, spoke to management agent today and she's willing to speak to company and explain the situation, so perhaps that might swing in my favour!

Thanks for your help everyone!

That is s**t! Reality is schools and places like this should have a designated pickup/dropoff point! Its ridiculous mothers have to abandon their (I presume very young) kids on the opposite side of the road because they cant take leave the car for sixty seconds! - The clampers are taking advantage of very poor planning, but thats nothing new in this country!
    I would disagree. the parents must have parked illegally and generally there are double yellows or similar outside a school which are there for the protection of the children yet the parents inconsiderate parking tends to make it more dangerous for kids crossing the road. Fair play to the clampers in this instance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I later found out in the garage my brake is shot and I'm getting charged €360 for the pleasure of having it repaired

Tell the clampers your brakes are shot and it rolled into space 78 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

You should have just hired an angle grinder and cut the clamp off. Much better solution imo

kbannon wrote: »
    I would disagree. the parents must have parked illegally and generally there are double yellows or similar outside a school which are there for the protection of the children yet the parents inconsiderate parking tends to make it more dangerous for kids crossing the road. Fair play to the clampers in this instance!

Its a private estate with no markings to indicate if parking at the side of the road is legal or otherwise but of course there are clamping signs up but I would question if they are illegally parked, there is also only a handful of parking spaces for visitors this causes big problems and is syptomatic of our poor planning and approval in the last decade . So you think arriving 5 mins before and hiding is fair play any obstruction caused by the offending vehicle is masively compounded when clamped and in these cases it is morally wrong !

Tell the clampers your brakes are shot and it rolled into space 78 :)

The ironic thing is my handbreak gave up on me Wednesday and when I discovered the clamp I was on my way to the garage to have it repaired!!! Wham I finally got to the garage I tried reversing into a space when the rear wheels locked and something went bang!

Just got the car back with a bill for €450, the rear breaks had stuck and went bust when I tried reversing, both had to be replaced! Yesterday really was not my day :(

As regards the school thing if you reread my last post I said there SHOULD be drop off and pick up points, perhaps with a max stay, and I reiterate, that is just clampers taking advantage of poor planning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Its a private estate with no markings to indicate if parking at the side of the road is legal or otherwise but of course there are clamping signs up but I would question if they are illegally parked, there is also only a handful of parking spaces for visitors this causes big problems and is syptomatic of our poor planning and approval in the last decade . So you think arriving 5 mins before and hiding is fair play any obstruction caused by the offending vehicle is masively compounded when clamped and in these cases it is morally wrong !

Once they've been clamped, they won't do it again. Eventually, the poor, poor mothers will all stop parking there.

I used to live at the bottom of a cul-de-sac, opposite a primary school. Between 08.30 and 09.15 I was rarely able to get out the end of the road because of badly parked cars abandoned on both kerbs on a narrow road. Same situation between 14.45 and 15.30 in the afternoon.

How difficult would it be for them to walk to school to pick up their kids? I doubt they all live that far away.

The youth of today eh? When I were a lad...................

As regards the school thing if you reread my last post I said there SHOULD be drop off and pick up points, perhaps with a max stay, and I reiterate, that is just clampers taking advantage of poor planning!!
    There should be, but there often aren't. In the meantime we have cars parked everywhere outside schools, with small children darting about in between them. The clampers have my full support in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

According to the site security my car was reported to the clamping company by the guy who parked in my space, and left his car there all day. Although very tempting to call clampers on him I resisted!

Why didn't you?

• Advertisement

The clampers will not clamp people who abide by the rules. The fact that the parents sit in their car to prevent the clampers doing their job indicates that the parents are aware that they are breaking the rules but prefer to have a convenient parking spot (for themselves) over the safety of the children (including their own).
    The parents are completely in the wrong here!

Advertisement