Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What licence do I need?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some advice. I bought an Iveco that is converted to a motorcaravan (camper). I discovered yesterday that a licence goes on the gross vehicle weight, which is 5,200 kgs., and not on the actual weight of the van. What licence do I need for this? I don't understand the difference between C & C1.

I have applied to do the C theory test next Tuesday. Apparently I will also have to do a Certificate in Professional Competency theory test before doing the practical test. Is this really true for a camper? I presume I can use my own van for the practical test?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sarah.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

C1 is for smaller goods vehicles and covers gross vehicle weigths between 3500 and 7500 kg

C is the full blown truck licence, anything above 3.5 tons.

The rest of your question I'm not sure about, best ask the actual test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭vinniem

You will find it very hard to find a driving school giving lessons for C1, so you would be better taking lessons for C cat and you will automatically get C1 and will be covered to drive an even larger camper (or other vehicle) in the future. Im not sure you will be able to use your camper for the test, the RSA have strange criteria regarding weights etc for test vehicle, but its all on the driving test/RSA site. Regarding CPC, yes you will have to ring RSA to explain you need for a camper, but you will not have to do it as its only for people who drive professionally. Once RSA know that, you will go onto waiting list for the test.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 k9cara

Thanks for the replies. The motor tax office said I have to do the CPC theory test even though it for a camper! I'll try to argue the point with though.

I suspected that C might also cover C1 so that makes it a bit simpler (if I can do the test in my camper that is).

Is the theory test the same one for all licences? I had my B licence before the theory test came in so I've never done it.

Regards,

Sarah.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭vinniem

Hi Sarah, I would say ring RSA and explain as its very clear on their own website that CPC is only for professional drivers.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/RSA_Services/CPC_Unit.html

The theory test for c cat (trucks) will have a lot of truck specific questions in it, so best to get the CD (rev May09) which has all the questions you will encounter in theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

k9cara wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. The motor tax office said I have to do the CPC theory test even though it for a camper! I'll try to argue the point with though.

I suspected that C might also cover C1 so that makes it a bit simpler (if I can do the test in my camper that is).

Is the theory test the same one for all licences? I had my B licence before the theory test came in so I've never done it.

Regards,

Sarah.

You can't do a C test in your camper as it's too light for a C test. You could do a C1 test in it and if you ring a school they will be able to provide an instructor for you to do lessons in your own van.

Not too sure about the CPC, but I think all HGV/Bus tests now required the CPC. The test isn't too hard, just costs more money and a little bit more study but most of the CPC is in the theory test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

CPC test is only for professional Bus/HGV drivers, for whom driving is their principal occupation. You should not need to do it...

as per FAQ booklet on CPC:

"4. Certain drivers are exempt from CPC training; can you give me examples of who is exempt?
    Drivers of vehicles for non-commercial purposes e.g. driving as a volunteer; drivers of emergency or
    rescue vehicles; drivers of vehicles while delivering driving instruction; drivers of vehicles used by a
    driver in the course of his/her work provided the vehicle is not the drivers principal occupation."

"8. I do not want to drive professionally (or I believe I have an exemption from CPC) but I do want to
    get a bus/truck driving licence, what do I do?
    Nothing has changed for you; you can apply for the learner permit theory test and obtain your learner
    permit. You can then apply and take the standard driving test in the normal way."

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/CPC/Revised%20CPC%20Document(1).pdf

Advertisement