Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuns show no Mercy in pursuit of profit.

• 13-01-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Nuns concerned over future of site

The Irish Times – Monday, January 11, 2010
    An order of nuns which lost out on a €40 million windfall when it was refused planning permission for a prime site in Galway is concerned that the land will be rezoned for recreational use. The Sisters of Mercy had hoped to build 126 homes on a 12-acre at Taylor’s Hill but the plan was refused by An Bord Pleanála (Irish Planning Authority) following objections by residents.
    The proposed site, surrounded by some of the most expensive houses in Galway, is a short distance from Salthill and from the city centre. Galway City Council last year passed a motion calling for the land to rezoned and developed into an amenity park, including a children’s memorial park.
    Catherine Connolly, a councillor, proposed the move, stating that the land should be handed over to the city as retribution for years of abuse of children by religious orders.

13 January 2010

Dear Cllr Connolly
    I would like to congratulate on your principaled stance concerning the rezoning of land owned by the Sisters of Mercy. As detailed in the Ryan Report it was this order who were in charge of child gulags like Goldenbridge.

Yours etc
    Mr A AXXXXXX

Dear Mr AXXXXX
    Thank you very much for taking the trouble to contact me..
    I actually didn’t see the piece in the Irish Times …but they must have picked it up from the local papers
    By way of background some time back I placed a motion on the Galway City Council Agenda asking for the City Council to call on the Mercy Order to give over the site at Taylor’s HIll in Galway as a gift to the city to be used as a special memorial park.. The Motion was passed unanimously ….and the result communicated to the NunsI
    Following up on this I was informed by the City Manager that a meeting had taken place between the Nuns and himself/officials in relation to land zoning etc and also that the result of our motion was conveyed to them
    Just last night at the City Council meeting I raised this matter again as in the meantime Councillors were circulated with a four and a half page letter not from the Nuns but from W.K.Nowlan& Associates, Chartered Surveyors & Management Consultants dated the 4th Januarty 2010 and at the bottom cc to Sr Elizabeth Manning -so presumably on behalf of the Mercy Order

This very long letter refers to a meeting held with John Vaudin of W.K. Nowlan & Associates on the City Manager on the 30th November 2009 and the fact that the result of the Motion was conveyed to him –

The letter then goes on to very clearly warn the City Manager that any attempt by the City Councillors to rezone the lands in Question as recreational and amenity would be unlawful and that he should advise the City Councillors accordingly.

It is one of the most appalling letters I have read…and to add insult to injury fails utterly to deal with our request ..that the Mercy Nuns hand over the lands as a gift …

I will be responding publicy to this letter in due course and in the meantime I have asked the City Manager to get a response from the Nuns themselves

If necessary I will also start a signature petition

Once again thank you for your interest and my contact number is B]PHONE NUMBER EDITED OUT[/B and also I have a Web Site and Blogg site where you can see some of the press releases in this regard….up to date at Christmas but not since..due to holidays/illness etc
    http://www.catherineconnolly.ie
    http://catherineconnolly.blogspot.come

Well it's not as if the Catholic Church was new to making money off the suffering of others especially those it claims to be members of it's "flock".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Catherine Connolly, a councillor, proposed the move, stating that the land should be handed over to the city as retribution for years of abuse of children by religious orders.
    This is interesting. The council claiming retribution (not restitution) of harm done to others. Of course, back in the day, the health boards were part of the councils and would not have been innocent in such matters.

The abuse issue is being dragged into town planning, where it does not belong. If the organs of state want compensation from religious orders, this is not the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

The Irish Times - Tuesday, January 12, 2010
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0112/1224262120662.html
    Councillor denies call to rename Archbishop Ryan Park

LABOUR DUBLIN City councillor Mary Freehill has insisted that she has not called for the name of Archbishop Ryan Park, better known as Merrion Square in Dublin, to be changed.

She said yesterday that she had proposed a motion at a meeting of the city council on December 7th last inviting comments from people on the name of the park. Her motion was agreed and the council is to place advertisements in the media inviting such comments. She agreed she was prompted to propose the motion following findings of the Murphy report about Archbishop Dermot Ryan.

Victor wrote: »
    This is interesting. The council claiming retribution (not restitution) of harm done to others. Of course, back in the day, the health boards were part of the councils and would not have been innocent in such matters.

The abuse issue is being dragged into town planning, where it does not belong. If the organs of state want compensation from religious orders, this is not the way to go about it.

The organs of the state at the highest level had the opportunity and instead covered up for their Church by letting the likes of the Sisters of Mercy (what a misnomer) off the hook through the Indemnity Deal.

The abuse issue belongs in everything as long as the perpetrators go unpunished and covered up for. The Sisters made profit from child labour and the proceeds of that child labour should not be something they are allowed to further profit from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

Does anyone else love the hypocrisy that these Orders & Churches own loads of property when Jebus said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it was for a rich man to enter his fascist autocracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Whats wrong with legislation and proceedings and stuff like that? This is pitchforks and torches on sticks kinda territory.

Would there not be a precident with terrorist orginisations to make an orginisation that is guilty of widespread abuse illegal? Maybe it only applies to political terrorism.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else love the hypocrisy that these Orders & Churches own loads of property when Jebus said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it was for a rich man to enter his fascist autocracy?

The CCL has always been a money generating enterprise. It's made money from prostitution, taxes, relics, junk promises and plain old lies. They even made money off all the children incarcerated in the gulag run by the christian brothers and the nuns. What other organisation in the western world has spend decades making money from child slave labour camps located right here in Ireland? If it had been a multi national called ChildCare Inc and they'd been discovered to have done what the Catholic Church Limited has done they’d all be in prison and the company would have been liquidated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

[local hat on] The last thing Taylor’s Hill needs is more houses. That road and traffic is an absolute nightmare. [/]

Advertisement