Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

consumer rights regarding hearing aids

Options
  • 13-01-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this problem. My gran got tested for a hearing aid just before xmas and the salesman was your typical salesman saying that all the tests proved that she badly needed a hearing aid ( my personal opinion was that she didnt) but anyway he gave her a sample hearing aid and she could hear a little better. After some humming and hawwing the salesman convinced her to buy one.

She recieved it recently and to say its crap is an understatement. All it seems to do is make a kind of noise like a jack hammer would make:eek: It cost her nearly €900 and the salesman has told her that she cant return it or get her money back once she has used it. She is now very upset at the whole thing because she could barely afford the €900 and expected the bloody thing to work.
    Im just wondering if she has any rights regarding this matter? Any help would be very welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would imagine that making noise like a jack hammer isn't a good thing. It sounds as if it is defective.

Can you get a second opinion on the hearing aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had some contact with a commercial hearing aid company, and I had the sense that there was some reasonably heavy selling going on, I did not buy one.
    It is possible that it just needs adjustment, if the firm are not prepared to do that, go somewhere else and get a second opinion - maybe she should talk to her doctor about where to go? If it does not work it presumably comes under the heading of 'not fit for purpose' so she should have some comeback on it.

Advertisement