Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POP (won't eat itself) art exhibition

• 13-01-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Won't be everyone's cup of tea but its in Waterford so I said id post it up.. If any boardsies want to come along be sure to let me know, ill have some of my photography being exhibited and it would be nice to put a name to a face maybe? :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SOMA Contemporary Art Box presents “POP [won't eat itself]”, an exhibition that spotlights one of the most influential cultural movements of a generation; contemporary art and skate culture.

January 21st - February 6th.

“POP [won't eat itself]” is a first of it's kind in Waterford, celebrating the extraordinary creative production and cultural influence of popular culture. Opening reception will be held on Thursday, January 21st at 7:30 pm.

Largely Rooted in the do-it-yourself subculture of skateboarding, a new generation of artist, one who identifies with the iconoclastic lifestyle and counter-culture stance of these creative forces has emerged. The unifying trait of these five exhibiting artists is the study of cultural trends that inform their work. At the core of the “POP [won't eat itself]” exhibition are works in various media - including painting, film and photography - by artists which include; Darren Carlin, Philip Evans, Paul Hallahan, Tony O'Keeffe and Neil Sheehan. “POP [won't eat itself]” reveals the spirit and vitality of a sub culture and it's expanding influence.

ABOUT SOMA: SOMA Contemporary Art Box is a unique and expansive new environment in Waterford city, conceived and run by artists. The “POP [won't eat itself]” exhibition marks the gallery's official re-opening to the public. Re-opened and re-located to new premises, SOMA hopes to become a major community resource and a vibrant new venue for the arts in Waterford, offering a wealth of exhibitions and events.

VISITOR INFORMATION: Exhibition continues until February 6th. The Gallery is open Thursday - Saturday, 1 pm - 5.30 pm and also by appointment. Admission is free. The Gallery is located at 6 Lombard Street, former tax office. Visit: www.SOMAcontemporary.com

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I might pop on the 22nd. I'll pretend to mrs ziedth that its big money in and I can say its ok I know the artist. She'll be dead impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

How come it's on a Thursday this time? Is it still BYOB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

KingLoser wrote: »
    How come it's on a Thursday this time? Is it still BYOB?

I dunno.. suits me though as im working AND doing college so im busy all the time now!

em there should be some "refreshmints" there.. :rolleyes: I dunno how much though!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Congrats one and all... nice to see new spaces opening up.... I'll pop in during the weekend.

Advertisement