Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Trailer

• 13-01-2010 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am looking at buying a sheep trailer - something which will do for both quad and car use, around the 6x4 or 7x4 size.

Was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on any type, or make of trailer I should be looking at?

I was looking at this crowd - they have a few stockists in Ireland. Anyone know anything about em, or whether they're any good?
    http://www.clh-trailers.co.uk/livestock.html

Also - any recommendations on any place or crowd to buy a trailer from? I think Ifor Williams make a similiar type of trailer, so that could be an option...

All comments / feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

know its the obvious answer but! have an ifor williams quad/jeep trailer and its excellent light and robust with the large tyres which are excellent for fields little bit more expensive that others but is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Cran wrote: »
    know its the obvious answer but! have an ifor williams quad/jeep trailer and its excellent light and robust with the large tyres which are excellent for fields little bit more expensive that others but is superb

Hello Cran,

Thanks for response.

I guess this is the trailer you have is it?
    http://www.westwoodtrailers.com/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=P6E&cat=NEW%20TRAILERS&sub=Domestic

The reason I was looking at the CLH is it has the hinged door in the ramp, Plus it has a partition, which could be useful. They're only small things like, but when getting a new one, I'd like to get as much as I could if you know what I mean.

Re cost - while not wanting to throw away money, I want to get something good too, as what we have right now, is a bit of a disaster.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

My only comment is to make sure you get one with tyres suitable for road use behind a car.

I remember pulling one before that was on quad tyres and they would get fierce hot at anything above 40mph, and they made an awful noise.

but the flipside was when using it in it's intended environment it would float over anything.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    My only comment is to make sure you get one with tyres suitable for road use behind a car.

I remember pulling one before that was on quad tyres and they would get fierce hot at anything above 40mph, and they made an awful noise.

but the flipside was when using it in it's intended environment it would float over anything.

Too true John Boy - the ones I'm looking at are both off-road and on-road. The typres are 20.5 / 8 / 10 - which are arent the 'nobbly' quad ones, but arent the normal size 14 ones either like. Although, I am not 100% whether they would be great at long distance on the road, but for what I need to do, they should be ok.

But I'm only going by what I read and hear - I haven't first hand experience of em, so maybe someone else could say for sure.

BTW - got quotes for Ifor Williams & CLH - pretty much the same...

Thanks.

yes thats the one I have. do like the division on the link you attached, one bit of advice if any use is those doors in the ramps rattle like hell specially on the road. used to have one with door in the ramp and drove me mad...

• Advertisement

Cran wrote: »
    yes thats the one I have. do like the division on the link you attached, one bit of advice if any use is those doors in the ramps rattle like hell specially on the road. used to have one with door in the ramp and drove me mad...

Thanks again Cran.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that.

As you had one with the door in the ramp - did you find them useful? I'm only thinking its better to get it, rather than regret it later - and I'd say if I have it I'll use it. But would be interested in hearing whether you thought it was useful or a bit of a waste o time.

Thanks.

yep they're useful, but the ramp is so light I find dropping the ramp as handy especially as you don't have to lift a ewe into the trailer just push up the ramp and lift quick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Just wodering what u went for after as we're thinking of a clh trailer aswell as a local dealer was recomending them ahead of nugent, he hadn't any in stock at the time though so still havent seen them besides on the net, i thought he said it had road tyres though and i dont like that it has no mudguards which i didn't know either until now

Found this one since so i reckon this is the trailer he was on about, fine looking trailer
    http://www.clhtrailers.co.uk/catalogue/?section=Mesh+sided+Livestock+trailer&page=Mesh+Drop+Side+Livestock+trailer

ormondprop wrote: »
    Just wodering what u went for after as we're thinking of a clh trailer aswell as a local dealer was recomending them ahead of nugent, he hadn't any in stock at the time though so still havent seen them besides on the net, i thought he said it had road tyres though and i dont like that it has no mudguards which i didn't know either until now

Found this one since so i reckon this is the trailer he was on about, fine looking trailer
    http://www.clhtrailers.co.uk/catalogue/?section=Mesh+sided+Livestock+trailer&page=Mesh+Drop+Side+Livestock+trailer

Hello Ormond,

I am actually only getting it now, as I put it off in favour of doing some reseeding earlier in the year.

Sent you a PM.

Advertisement