Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in USA

Options
  • 13-01-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I thought I'd start off a thread and see who's currently living in the USA, or who has, where abouts you're situated and how you've been finding it?

I'll start! I'm in San Diego for almost a year, been back and forth for two years but have finally settled. Waiting to win the lotto or go back to college here to stay. I love it here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I've been living in Arkansas for just over a year now. We moved here as my husband is from the area, and once we had the twins we felt it was a better family environment, plus so much cheaper (we bought a four bedroom house here for 1/3 of the price of our one bedroom Dublin flat).

I love the nature here and many things, but I must admit I had culture shock far worse than I imagined, considering I have been to the USA- and Arkansas- many times before moving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I'm a 25 yr old Irish girl living in Houston, TX. My husband is a doctor and came here in June to do residency. I followed in September (avoided the heat of summer). Not working at the moment but applying for a PhD to start in September.

Houston is nice, we got a lovely house in a great area. It's a much better city to live in than to visit as a tourist, great cafes, restaurants and sports facilities.

I'm a 25 yr old Irish girl living in Houston, TX. My husband is a doctor and came here in June to do residency. I followed in September (avoided the heat of summer). Not working at the moment but applying for a PhD to start in September.

Houston is nice, we got a lovely house in a great area. It's a much better city to live in than to visit as a tourist, great cafes, restaurants and sports facilities.

I would love to live in the US when I'm older. One place I'm interested in is Texas, specifically Dallas. How is the heat in Houston? I heard it's horribly warm because of the sun heat as well as the humidity and it's the most air conditioned city on earth! Although millions of people live there so it ain't that bad I suppose!

I would love to live in the US when I'm older. One place I'm interested in is Texas, specifically Dallas. How is the heat in Houston? I heard it's horribly warm because of the sun heat as well as the humidity and it's the most air conditioned city on earth! Although millions of people live there so it ain't that bad I suppose!

I haven't been through a summer in Houston yet, I waited until September to come over so I wouldn't be arriving in the worst of the heat. I did come over for a week in July to visit my husband, it was pretty hot and the humidity is so high that you break out in a sweat just by walking out the door. But as you said everywhere is air-conditioned and it's only 2 months of bad weather in the summer and the rest of the year it's fantastic.

America is one of the more difficult countries in the world to immigrate into unless you (a) marry a US citizen, (b) are sponsored by an immediate relative who is a US citizen (and you'll have to wait a long time for that to happen, they are processing applications from around 1997 at the moment). We are here on student visas and although we may end up being here 6-7 years before my husband finishes training once he finishes we have to return to Ireland for 2 years before we are eligible for any immigrant visa. If you want to come to the US it is worth working out a long-term plan of education / job that might get you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Does the 2 year home rule apply to students? What kind of visa does your husband have?

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Does the 2 year home rule apply to students? What kind of visa does your husband have?

Hubby has a J1 (and I have a J2). Specifically the 2yr home rule (2YHR) applies to J1s, but it's not quite that simple. It basically depends on who is paying for you, if it's the government (eg in a public hospital, in a public university) then the 2YHR applies. For example if you get a Fulbright scholarship then the 2YHR applies.If your tuiton is funded through a private bursary then it doesn't necessarily apply. These are just the broad guidelines, I would investigate thoroughly any program you are applying to.

Well I'm on a 1 year J1 visa at the moment but it states specifically that the two year home rule does not apply! So I'm just trying to figure out what determines it. The funding does make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Twenty years for me. Ten in the bay area and ten up here in Seattle.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Well I'm on a 1 year J1 visa at the moment but it states specifically that the two year home rule does not apply! So I'm just trying to figure out what determines it. The funding does make sense!

Lucky you :-)
    Unfortunately for us it always applies for physicians (we had to get a letter from the Dept of Health 'releasing' us to go to the US).

Would you like to stay in America long term?

What's the one piece of advice you would give someone contemplating a move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ro75

Hey,

Great idea for a thread! I'm in Chicago on the new J1 IWT visa since September. Bit cold over here at the minute, wouldn't mind being in San Diego like lisa :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'm in Pittsburgh on a J1 internship visa, here since June, lovely city enjoying it loads. Mind you it's cold as at the minute, this is the first day it's been above freezing in about 3 weeks and it feels so warm, I had to take off my coat walking to work!! Hoping to get the new year long J1 visa before August (that's when I graduated) maybe stay on another year, so I'm looking to see if I'm eligible for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Full-time university student living in Newport Beach of OC. The commute on the freeway system to USC is a pain, but other than that, a grand place to live and play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Full-time university student living in Newport Beach of OC. The commute on the freeway system to USC is a pain, but other than that, a grand place to live and play.

Do you mind me asking how you arranged that one?! Can it be easily done? I have always contemplated going to university there but i presume the cost is astronomical, no? Are you doing a PHD or you a regular Uni student so to speak?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

macca1983 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you arranged that one?! Can it be easily done? I have always contemplated going to university there but i presume the cost is astronomical, no? Are you doing a PHD or you a regular Uni student so to speak?
    It's a bit complicated in my case...
    Born Galway, Da's Irish, but Mum was American, so I have dual citizenship, which helps a bit in the USA applying for Pell Grants, etc. Was raised by relatives on both sides of the pond, so in addition to mixing my Irish and American idioms, I know how to survive in the States on a starving student budget. Also, part-time work.

I am a faculty brat and know how to jump through the academic hoops, plus I had connections at USC's George Lucas School. Have a free ride (scholarship and stipend), having tested well (SATs), good prior grades, top recommendations, grand faculty networking, and a killer portfolio.

Now finishing a 4-year degree programme in drama-film with top grades, scored well on the GRE, and have applied for masters programme at USC, hoping for a paid internship at Lucas Ranch (known for film and Fx) up north this fall.

It's a bit complicated in my case...
    Born Galway, Da's Irish, but Mum was American, so I have dual citizenship, which helps a bit in the USA applying for Pell Grants, etc. Was raised by relatives on both sides of the pond, so in addition to mixing my Irish and American idioms, I know how to survive in the States on a starving student budget. Also, part-time work.

I am a faculty brat and know how to jump through the academic hoops, plus I had connections at USC's George Lucas School. Have a free ride (scholarship and stipend), having tested well (SATs), good prior grades, top recommendations, grand faculty networking, and a killer portfolio.

Now finishing a 4-year degree programme in drama-film with top grades, scored well on the GRE, and have applied for masters programme at USC, hoping for a paid internship at Lucas Ranch (known for film and Fx) up north this fall.

Fair enough..Was hoping you were just a dude like myself - Irish, no American connections and somehow managed to sneak into an American University in my dream place to live - Southern California...

Fair enough..Was hoping you were just a dude like myself - Irish, no American connections and somehow managed to sneak into an American University in my dream place to live - Southern California...
    If you are dead serious about matriculating Stateside, as well as getting funded, it might help if you started getting to know several faculty at Trinner's in your course of study (what they call a degree major in the States). Many at Trinner's have a grand rep at Stateside universities, and often collaborate in research, publications, and teaching subbaticals. If you made a grand connection with a respected Trinner's professor, he/she could help you make the connections for admission and part-time work opportunities associated with the US university. There are also student exchange agreements between Irish and American universities that cross the pond, that could serve to get your feet wet in the States, allowing for them to see you in action, and perhaps get an invite to stay (and be funded)? I'm a networking fool, and it has paid off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

You might be able to get a funded PhD in the states. Or do a PhD here and postdoc in the states. Lots of people postdoc in the states - a PhD gives you good opportunities to work abroad

Would you like to stay in America long term?

What's the one piece of advice you would give someone contemplating a move?

Hopefully as long as I can. My best advice would be to build up reliable contacts. Go over on a three month holiday or working visa if possible and build up connections, get to know people, places and how everything works, then it will be easier to decide where to go and what to do. If you have a job already set then try find people in that area you may know from someone else. There's always someone. I've met a few people in San Diego who are related to my mothers colleagues or friends of friends from school, the world is not that big. and when you know you know someone around its more comforting to move.

How long have you been over?

spideog7 wrote: »
    I'm in Pittsburgh on a J1 internship visa, here since June, lovely city enjoying it loads. Mind you it's cold as at the minute, this is the first day it's been above freezing in about 3 weeks and it feels so warm, I had to take off my coat walking to work!! Hoping to get the new year long J1 visa before August (that's when I graduated) maybe stay on another year, so I'm looking to see if I'm eligible for that.

How did you manage getting a job? Did you have any difficulty getting the visa? I'm on the same one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Most PHD programs offer tuition waivers and a living stipend in exchange for teaching assistantships. On the east-coast anyway (my old man's speciality is Irish emigration so is over there a fair bit).
    Undergrad financial aid for international students is a lot thinner on the ground to my knowledge.

Like Blue says, networking is fairly important (somewhere down the line, might go for the PHD myself, if I can get funding from Boston College or Notre Dame. Done a fair bit of networking with visiting American professors and so on)

I'm not sure about SoCal though. Don't know how uniform the US system is.

If you are dead serious about matriculating Stateside, as well as getting funded, it might help if you started getting to know several faculty at Trinner's in your course of study (what they call a degree major in the States). Many at Trinner's have a grand rep at Stateside universities, and often collaborate in research, publications, and teaching subbaticals. If you made a grand connection with a respected Trinner's professor, he/she could help you make the connections for admission and part-time work opportunities associated with the US university. There are also student exchange agreements between Irish and American universities that cross the pond, that could serve to get your feet wet in the States, allowing for them to see you in action, and perhaps get an invite to stay (and be funded)? I'm a networking fool, and it has paid off for me.

I've done 5 years at University already. I was hoping you could possibly just sign up to a year of University over there and try figure something out from there. I doubt i could even afford a year really as i believe tis bloody expensive. I just really want to live in Venice, Santa Monica or Ocean Beach down in San Diego. Era i'll just say a prayer the green card pops up!

Hubby has a J1 (and I have a J2). Specifically the 2yr home rule (2YHR) applies to J1s, but it's not quite that simple. It basically depends on who is paying for you, if it's the government (eg in a public hospital, in a public university) then the 2YHR applies. For example if you get a Fulbright scholarship then the 2YHR applies.If your tuiton is funded through a private bursary then it doesn't necessarily apply. These are just the broad guidelines, I would investigate thoroughly any program you are applying to.

Do you know if its possible to swith from a J-1 visa to another type once you are there? Just thinking I will probably be subject to the 2yr rule too....hadnt occurred to me before:o I guess I can always apply for a waiver if everything works out over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've done 5 years at University already. I was hoping you could possibly just sign up to a year of University over there and try figure something out from there. I doubt i could even afford a year really as i believe tis bloody expensive. I just really want to live in Venice, Santa Monica or Ocean Beach down in San Diego. Era i'll just say a prayer the green card pops up!

If you already have a degree, you could always go down the PHD route?
    No harm in trying.

If you already have a degree, you could always go down the PHD route?
    No harm in trying.

I am up to a Masters level in Business but no intention of continuing to study that anymore! Wouldnt mind doing a diploma in psychology possibly but couldnt commit to anything more serious that a year more of study. Just going to say a prayer my name will be called out on green card day!

I am up to a Masters level in Business but no intention of continuing to study that anymore! Wouldnt mind doing a diploma in psychology possibly but couldnt commit to anything more serious that a year more of study. Just going to say a prayer my name will be called out on green card day!

Have you looked into that new J visa programme for graduates - think you can go over for a year. you could network with university people while there and see if there would be any possibility to go back and study

avalon68 wrote: »
    Have you looked into that new J visa programme for graduates - think you can go over for a year. you could network with university people while there and see if there would be any possibility to go back and study

Ive looked into everything - trust me! I graduated 3 yrs ago which rules me out. Probably go to Vancouver as that is the closest i will get to LA type place.

Do you know if its possible to swith from a J-1 visa to another type once you are there? Just thinking I will probably be subject to the 2yr rule too....hadnt occurred to me before:o I guess I can always apply for a waiver if everything works out over there.

Unfortunately not, once the 2YHR rule applies then you are not eligible for any other visa type until you spend the 2yrs at home. The only grounds on which you can get it waived are because of 'hardship' but that is relevent to very few. I know of someone who married a US citizen and had a child with them and still had to leave.

Unfortunately not, once the 2YHR rule applies then you are not eligible for any other visa type until you spend the 2yrs at home. The only grounds on which you can get it waived are because of 'hardship' but that is relevent to very few. I know of someone who married a US citizen and had a child with them and still had to leave.

Bugger, thats a pity cos I could have applied for a H1B visa in the first place :( Ah well sure at least having experience of working over there will significantly improve my chances of getting a job back here after.

• Advertisement

Bugger, thats a pity cos I could have applied for a H1B visa in the first place :( Ah well sure at least having experience of working over there will significantly improve my chances of getting a job back here after.

My explanation of when it does and doesn't apply was pretty rough, maybe it won't have to appy to you. Do you have your visa yet, it should say on it?

Advertisement