Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know this dog?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Was he just tied to a tree and left there? I wish I knew who owned him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, he was, with 2 bags of dogfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Wish I could help, the poor baby. People never cease to amaze and scare me with their cruelty :(

I could post this on some animal sites I'm a member of if that would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

you getting him looked at? looks like he'd be amazing if ya get to know him :)

• Advertisement

Wish I could help, the poor baby. People never cease to amaze and scare me with their cruelty :(

Especially in this weather. How hard would it be to bring him to a pound/shelter if they didn't want him anymore?! They would understand, they're well used to it.

Not that I'm surprised by this but it never gets easier to hear.

He's at my vets currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Awh the poor ol thing! What rotten people must have done that! :(

Poor honey :(

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I could post this on some animal sites I'm a member of if that would help.

Yes please, I've already posted him on PI and have contacted the local papers.

Contact for any info is me (Sarah) at EGAR (East Galway Animal Rescue),email webmasterATegarDOTorg or via the main EGAR website.

THANK YOU!

I've named him Stuart Little as he has ears like a mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 donna1000

Ahh the poor little darling,:mad:

EGAR wrote: »

Ha epic! keep us updated on how he's getting on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The poor thing :(

It's no excuse but it looks like they couldn't afford the vet care and felt guilty leaving him there hence the food.

They should have brought him to a pound.

Yes please, I've already posted him on PI and have contacted the local papers.

Contact for any info is me (Sarah) at EGAR (East Galway Animal Rescue),email webmasterATegarDOTorg or via the main EGAR website.

THANK YOU!

Done. I hope you get your answers EGAR and well done for helping yet another animal in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

There are some disgusting people on this planet and its shocking that someone would do this to a dog. Shame on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Apologies in advance for the rant but I am sick and tired of seeing wanton acts of cruelty like this. I was heading to work last Wednesday morning when I saw a very distressesd horse tied with a bit of rope to a railing-no food, no water. He was standing on a ledge that was no more than 2m wide. If he had tried to sit/lie down, he would have strangled himself, as the piece of rope was too short and restricted his head movement. The horse must have been out all night (last Tuesday night temp. was -10 degrees). I can't even put into to words how angry I felt when I saw him, as he was in a desperate state. Just seeing that little lad in the photos brings back that sense of anger. Anyone who has ever owned a dog in particular knows that all they want is love and care and what they give back is unquantifiable. I'm heartbroken really.

did you act on your anger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

EGAR could you give more info to when and where he was found?
    Perhaps if people are from or around that area they might remember something from the time, they might have seen someone walking the dog or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

alexlyons wrote: »
    did you act on your anger?

I did-I had to. Though my heart was telling me to untie the animal and bring it with me, then go back and render the owner senseless with a karate chop to the back of the head, sense prevailed and I called the SPCA as soon as I got into work, who said they would act on it straight away.

star-pants wrote: »
    EGAR could you give more info to when and where he was found?
    Perhaps if people are from or around that area they might remember something from the time, they might have seen someone walking the dog or anything.

He was found near my rescue, however, this is a very smal rural community here and he is not a local dog, nor did anyone see anything apart from the guy who spotted him and called me in.

There have been Itinerants in that area but they have moved on about 10 days ago.

There are two more dogs lose in that forest and I am currently baiting them with food as they are very shy. A lurcher pup and a heinz57. Couldnt get near enough to get a gender. If they start taking the food then I will spike it.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, so there maybe 3 dogs in total?
    Do you think perhaps they were left behind by those that travelled on?

I can't assume anything and it would be dangerous to jump to conclusions, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

That's pretty bad. He's an old dog? So lived with a family for a while until he was abandoned? Genuinely don't understand how people justify this to themselves? Like was the dog only found by chance or was he left in a reasonably visible part of the town/area?

I can't assume anything and it would be dangerous to jump to conclusions, I think.
    Sorry I wasn't saying you should.
    Just that one, possibly 3 dogs that don't belong to the area and no one there recognises are left in the woods shortly after people have passed though would mean there's a chance I guess.

but hopefully someone somewhere will recognise this chap.

The JRT's ears are not nicked, alot of Itinerants mark their dogs by cutting into the ears to mark them. Obviously, I didn't get close enough to see if the other two are. Not too long ago about 8 miles from where Stuart Little was found, I was called to an emaciated Pointer and a Springer Spaniel. Also not local dogs and they too were in the middle of nowhere. No Itinerants in that area though.

Anything is possible but I need to keep an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Poor little guy! I wish I could adopt him, thank god it was you who found him!!
    I know i shouldn't assume but.. i think someone dropped him in that spot because they knew of your rescue. So lousy:( and i think JRT's are the nicest little dogs you can get!!

Also possible as it's a wooded area it's a popular area to dump dogs, if as EGAR said, she's found 2 before, and there's this chap, and possibly two more.

It's like the way the canal here is used for a dumping ground of some animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Fair play EGAR for rescuin this little fella. Just wondering if you think its a good idea to spike the other 2 roamers feed? Would you be likely to find them if its in a wooded area or if theres a river nearby? Im sure you know what you're doing but just thought id ask.

People just constantly astound me with their cruelty too. Where i work a little geriatric JRT was brought into our place after being tied to a fence for 2 days right in the middle of the freezing weather. She had to be put to sleep in the end and it made be burst into tears after hearing her story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

its so shocking but unfortunately I am never surprised:(
    You'd wonder what is missing in these people that they could just drop off an animal like that.
    We had a dog once that went missing for about 2 weeks, we later heard rumours that someone had locked the dog up in his turf shed, i don't know what anyone would hope to achieve from this but my sister was convinced it was true cause of the dirt on the dog when he returned

• Advertisement

I am using fast working sedative for cases like this and obviously I would not go away but lie in wait once they have taken the food.

Advertisement