Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO TV signal in Carlow town?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Doomed I say, we're all doomed! :eek:

As somene said in another thread...

No drink in Tullow!

No water in Carlow!

NOW - no TV signal in Carlow!

Funny thing is :

I don't have satellite, just rabbits ears and 4 Irish stations! Blue and yellow sky type box has appeared on my TV saying "No satellite signal is being received" wierdness . .

Neighbours are getting the same message!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I'm in South Tipperary and I have the same. And so, the death knell of terrestrial TV has sounded. :eek: Hope I'm wrong.

The signal was weakening the last number of days, I just put it down to weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

eh. . well . . um . . ahem . .

It seems we're not quite as doomed as I may have lead you to believe!

It's back on now so I can continue to watch crap TV!

Sorry for nearly causing mass hysteria . .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 extremebogman

3 channels are back but tg4 still has the sky page? At least where I am this is the case.

3 channels are back but tg4 still has the sky page? At least where I am this is the case.

:D:D Only a bogman would notice that! Sorry couldn't resist ;)

Mine is the same, I rarely watch TG4 but just checked it ...

Hysteria reinstated... ???

RTE1 is jumping and rolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Is ye're RTE one not hopping all over the place?
    Unwatchable still, sound is perfect however.
    TG4 is out still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sweeney555

Hmmm where are my channels gone ????

foxinsox wrote: »
    :D:D Only a bogman would notice that! Sorry couldn't resist ;).

Darn, my secret is out!

Does anyone know how a page from digital could be displayed on an anolouge station? I blame the aliens

Darn, my secret is out!

Does anyone know how a page from digital could be displayed on an anolouge station? I blame the aliens

I reckon you could be right bogman! Aliens !!! :eek:

OR

A sneaky yet probably effective marketing ploy from Sky/Aliens marketing department to make us all feel left behind with our rabbits ears and only 4 stations. They want us all to put ugly satellite dishes on the side of our houses and then they will use our satellite dishes to bounce secret laser type things from house to house melting us all!! :eek:

Afterthought: Carlow is probably safe enough... no water, drink or TV.. so maybe we'll be ok!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

TV signals are transmitted to TV mast around the country via microwave link, then the TV mast sends the signal to you.

As a backup measure in case the microwave link goes down, it seems they use a Satellite dish get RTE (from sky) then retransmit that.

Today the Irish DTT is down and analogue is also messed up from Mt Leinster.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    TV signals are transmitted to TV mast around the country via microwave link, then the TV mast sends the signal to you.

As a backup measure in case the microwave link goes down, it seems they use a Satellite dish get RTE (from sky) then retransmit that.

Im from south tipp too some 4 miles from kk border. i think mt leinster is my nearest transmitter as im experiencing same problem with all 4 national stations. rtes1 and 2 very snowy, tv3 not much better and tg4 just has 'No signal being received' sky message.

question. is DTT being tried from mount leinster yet? we had a trial period between feb 08 and jul 08 previous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I can't receive Radio 1, 2FM nor TodayFM in the car since yesterday, all i get is silence. I can hoever receive Newstalk, KCLR and KFM...

Im from south tipp too some 4 miles from kk border. i think mt leinster is my nearest transmitter as im experiencing same problem with all 4 national stations. rtes1 and 2 very snowy, tv3 not much better and tg4 just has 'No signal being received' sky message.

question. is DTT being tried from mount leinster yet? we had a trial period between feb 08 and jul 08 previous

I think the trial you are talking about was the MPEG2 trials.

DTT is now in "engineering test" phase and uses the newer video compression, MPEG4.

Have a look at the map here for transmitter locations and reception reports: http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map

There's a load of information over on the terrestrial forum too.

I think the trial you are talking about was the MPEG2 trials.

DTT is now in "engineering test" phase and uses the newer video compression, MPEG4.

Have a look at the map here for transmitter locations and reception reports: http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map

There's a load of information over on the terrestrial forum too.

oh right.. shows what i know :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

testicle wrote: »
    I can't receive Radio 1, 2FM nor TodayFM in the car since yesterday, all i get is silence. I can hoever receive Newstalk, KCLR and KFM...

yeah couldnt get them this morning either in the car.....thought my ariel had frozen considering everything else has!!

weather or cutbacks ?? :rolleyes:

Everything back now.
    funnily enough i was in that Mount leinster area yesterday on the way to Enniscorthy and could see the mast. RTE are blaming weather but i don't think that's the case. There was in fairness a considerable amount of snow uphill between Borris and Kilteely and Kilteely to Enniscorthy alright. Were definately talking over a foot, but surely at that stage the worst of the weather was over.
    i dont think cutbacks are the reason either. that transmitter serves 180,000 in the south east. Surely that's a huge loss of viewership for them few hours.

Another question. I noticed while passing through Borris that houses had Chorus antennas that were facing away from mount leinster. i thought the chorus transmitter for the south east was on ML too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Nead21 wrote: »
    yeah couldnt get them this morning either in the car.....thought my ariel had frozen considering everything else has!!

weather or cutbacks ?? :rolleyes:

Dunno, but they're back now!1!

Finally, TG4 is back. I can now watch cartoons in a language I mostly don't understand, and my favourite documentaries that have been shown once every 3 weeks since they were first aired (sarcasm alert)

Everything back now.
    funnily enough i was in that Mount leinster area yesterday on the way to Enniscorthy and could see the mast. RTE are blaming weather but i don't think that's the case. There was in fairness a considerable amount of snow uphill between Borris and Kilteely and Kilteely to Enniscorthy alright. Were definately talking over a foot, but surely at that stage the worst of the weather was over.
    i dont think cutbacks are the reason either. that transmitter serves 180,000 in the south east. Surely that's a huge loss of viewership for them few hours.

Another question. I noticed while passing through Borris that houses had Chorus antennas that were facing away from mount leinster. i thought the chorus transmitter for the south east was on ML too?

I think the Chorus antennas are on the hill just outside of Graiguenamanagh.

Interesting pics of the snow covered Kippure Transmitter here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Darn, my secret is out!

sky have secretly aquired rte because of their excellent range of programs and presenters and especially the afternoon show!

it looked more like they were getting their signal from sky and when that broke down they had to rely on the old analogue system which has fallen into disrepair due to them using the sky digital signal all the time now?

I think the Chorus antennas are on the hill just outside of Graiguenamanagh.

Interesting pics of the snow covered Kippure Transmitter here

Yeah probably Brandon Hill id imagine

• Advertisement
Advertisement