Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new car for mom

• 13-01-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi Everyone,

Mother is looking to change her car. Unfortunately she's got a 2001 opel agila and I know nothing about cars:

738px-Opel_Agila_front_20071204.jpg

We call it moon buggie or the box on wheels. I think she is just outside the scrappage deal but she needs to change the car now because its on the way out and the repairs would probably cost more than the thing is worth. I've been told to stick to Japanese cars. My mom liked that the agila had folding seats and a huge boot. She also liked that it drove like a van because she learned to drive in a ford transit with no power steering. She didn't like that it had no power what so ever for over taking.

I was just wondering what people thought was the best value small/mom car. She's liked the look of the following:
    Nissan Micra
    Honda Jazz
    Mazda 2
    New Ford Fiesta
    Suzuki splash
    Toyota yaris

Thanks for any help on this !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Budget?

Some of the cars you mention have multiple different models around at the moment so hard to give you a choice when budget is unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I think you'd be better off buying her a Nissan GT-R.

But seriously, I was in a similar situaion recently and ended up getting her a VW Polo.
    It's been great, might be worth considering one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I think you'd be better off buying her a Nissan GT-R.

But seriously, I was in a similar situaion recently and ended up getting her a VW Polo.
    It's been great, might be worth considering one.

A Polo diesel or Yaris diesel would be a great car for the mudder. Maybe even an auto if you can find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the Fiat Panda is a perfect replacement for the Agila. The Panda has a similar tall driving position, has a similar boxy shape and comes with a 4 year warranty for peace of mind:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200822188967591

Also take a look at this ad, it says they are taking cars 8 years or older as part of the scrapage deal:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195566463

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's a new model Agila which is very closely related to the Suzuki Splash. If the old one worked well for you, the new one is a lot more stylish on top of having similar driving position and practicality.
    2008-opel-agila_460x0w.jpgSplash%20turquoise.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bbk wrote: »
    A Polo diesel or Yaris diesel would be a great car for the mudder. Maybe even an auto if you can find one.
    Yaris diesels are pretty much whatever is in the showroom. If you order one now, it'll apparently be late May before you take delivery.

The Polo would be a good option or the 1.33 Yaris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the Fiat Panda is a perfect replacement for the Agila. The Panda has a similar tall driving position, has a similar boxy shape and comes with a 4 year warranty for peace of mind:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200822188967591

Also take a look at this ad, it says they are taking cars 8 years or older as part of the scrapage deal:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195566463

Panda can't be ignored for value for money and reliable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Fiesta, or a Panda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

paddy2008 wrote: »

where do you work paddy? ;)

• Advertisement

Hard times:D:D:D

Hard times:D:D:D

lol

OP, i'd also recommend the panda... similar boxy styling and driving position to the agila and just about as reliable a car as you could ask for at the mo. the neighbours have one and its rock solid, never any bother with it compared to other neighbours with corsa/207/golf giving regular trouble. forget the old "fix it again tomorrow" reputation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackofnotrades

Thanks for all the info guys. As for a budget, I guess she wants something decent for as cheap as possible probably around 13k. Looks like the panda and polo might be worth looking into.

you could have plenty of change out of 13k with a panda! could nearly buy a spare one!

but there not japanese:rolleyes::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

myself and a few lads hired an opel meriva for a ski trip

And found it unreal for the amount of stuff that could

fit in .The back seats can fold completly level with the 'boot'

floor, so we could put 5 pairs of skis.boot bags and a load of luggage

in no problem. Some engines are a bit gutless, though.

Opel have some good diesels nowadays. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

A nissan note is another one in a similar vain, boxy but very spacious front and back, good sized accessible boot, high kind-of-van-ish driving position. Quite solid car, I believe the diesel is meant to be decent, but have only driven the 1.4 petrol which is decent enough for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

but there not japanese:rolleyes::D:D

And the Suzuki Splash is? A collaboration with GM, using GM and Fiat engines, built in Hungary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Another vote for the Panda, fantastic value for money at around 8300€ (IIRC?) seeing as she cannot scrap the Agila, which is unfortunate i might add, the 1.1 panda would have 104€ road tax and it should be just about as quick as the 1.0 agila, neither a road rocket i have to say:D

Really cant think of anything else to match it at that price range, nearly everything you've listed will cost a lot more, the jazz nearly 10 grand more i might add!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....... I've been told to stick to Japanese cars.

The reason your Agila served you well is because.......it IS japanese ! It's merely a rebadged Suzuki Wagon-R.
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    There's a new model Agila which is very closely related to the Suzuki Splash. If the old one worked well for you, the new one is a lot more stylish on top of having similar driving position and practicality.
    2008-opel-agila_460x0w.jpg

My sis-in-law bought a 6mth old one of those for.. in that colour.....for...8k ? Nice, good car imho. If you're mother does most driving alone, she'll love it - if she needs a bit more space, the Meriva is the one to go for, in the same family.

Other than that, +1 on the Panda.

I see ads for new Fabia 1.2 Estate's in Galway new this week, for ....12k..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Adrian121

Fiat are selling the Panda for €6995, I just saw it on the telly. :)

Advertisement