Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first plane of the New Year!

Options
  • 13-01-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I was given a gift of this old Bailey pattern, Stanley No. 6 fore plane today, it belonged to a grand uncle of mine (now deceased). I haven't dated it yet but I reckon it's late 40's early 50's. It's in pretty good nick, well used but no evidence of any abuse. The blade has a good 2" left on it (it may have been replaced at some point?). There's a little bit of light corrosion under the frog and some of the black japanning is lifting in parts. It's an uncommon plane size I suppose but it fits neatly into my plane selection, given that I don't already own a No.6. I'm looking forward to stripping the plane down and giving it some much need care and attention. Happy days! It's nice to think that soon I'll be using a handtool that was once owned and used by my grand uncle, if only these tools could talk!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice one!! She looks to be in fairly good nick from the picture anyway! Of course the family connection adds a whole other layer to it! :) There was a site, must have a look for it again where you can date planes just by colors of paint used, stampings, text machining processes etc. It dated my No5 to the early 50's! :o. Its an odd siz alright, a No6, isnt there a 5 and a half?! Thats one I always wondered about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Cheers CroppyBoy; I have it stripped down now and it is in great nick, considering it lay untouched in a toolbox for probably 20 years in a damp environment. I have checked out Patrick Leach's Stanley site (this appears to be the bible) but I am having difficulty getting a definitive match on it; I will probably drop him an email and see if he can help me. As for the 5 1/2 size, I have one in a LN and I think it's a great size! It's just a wider jack plane with a blade the same width as the larger 6, 7 or 8. It's a great all rounder and plenty of weight in it. Plan to have this No. 6 cleaned up and ready to go before the weekend.

Advertisement