Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Cinema module

Options
  • 13-01-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be doing this module next semester, can anyone give me any information on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Me too! Not looking forward to that three hour lecture on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Yeah, it's a pretty extreme way to start the week! One of my friends did it a few years ago; she did a project on Nosferatu and it sounded really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I did it at the end of 4th year. Martin Chappel was lecturing then, but he has since retired so I dunno if the module has changed yet.

When I did it the class was split into 2 hours for watching a film and 1 hour for notes/discussion. You'll watch some of the very first films ever made and films all the way up to the present day. The lectures generally focus on certain areas; i.e., Italian film making, Propaganda film, Post-modern film making etc.

What sort of information are you looking for specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

You pretty much covered it, I was curious as to how it was structured. Did you enjoy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Ah, jaysis. I hate filums. THis will be great.

Also, what's the assessment like? Essays/exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Yeah I liked it, but it's not for everyone. As much as I enjoyed it, I found it very hard to stay awake during the films because it was on from 3 - 6pm for us. Bringing in food helps though.

Structure wise the lecturers would do about 40 minutes of an actual lecture, giving you notes etc. Then you have a break to get food and this is followed by a film or two, after which there is about 20 minutes for discussion. Discussion is really really helpful so stay for it if you can; a lot of people left at the break.

For us the assessment was a 40% presentation on one genre of film we studied, but not on a film we watched in class. You pick your topic and film and you do the presentation in groups. The rest was a 60% written exam. A 40% presentation sounds horrible but it was one of the easiest things I did that semester.

Advertisement