Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

so who amoung u have completed de interveiw with the super and is awiting medical...just wondering becacuse we could be going thrugh this together

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

Passed my medical this morn, i applied in nov 2009, definitly worth the wait, cant wait to get started. Does anyone know when they contact you about the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

congrats jenny.......... blowing into the tube for the lung test is a bit of a task isn't it :) you should hear in the next month.....depending on numbers.november 2009...what a wait, fairplay to you.

congrats jenny.......... blowing into the tube for the lung test is a bit of a task isn't it :) you should hear in the next month.....depending on numbers.november 2009...what a wait, fairplay to you.

Thanks a mill, im chuffed :D. Was dreading the lung capacity test cause im not great at it but sure its done and dusted now, another wait again for the training date, im starting to think they are also testing our patience with all the waiting, ive definitly passed that one so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭seedorf117

passed medical today myself!! Same wait as me jenny! Looking forward to getting started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Passed today aswell, christ we all seemed to have applied the same month (Nov 2009)...done now anyway!...hearing test was tough aswell...bmi was 23, thought it would have been higher..happy days anyway!!

Yeah the hearing test was tough alrite, i was starting to imagine the beeps at one stage haha. well i shall see you both in Templemore :D

well folks...congrats to all the people that got through the medical..I had the interview with the super so im waiting to be called.long story short whats the BMI limit, And hearing you guys say you applied in 2009 NOV is very depressing, I applied in Sept 2010 :( long wait ahead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

BMi limit is 30....to be safe try and aim for around 28 at the most...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CAGM9

Applied in oct 09 and did medical in jan 11. Heading done this month.
    Once the medical out of the way you have to wait for available classes.
    The wait between the submission of the br form and being called for interview depends on the number if family members on the form, their locations and your past addresses. If either you or family members have or are living outside of the jurisdiction then you will be at the mercy of the local police forces. This appears to be what held me up.

There is another forum for garda reserve recruits who are heading for templmore. Its an introductions forum. Next class down is the 25th of march. Class before that went down in february.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 the_view

Hey folks,

I got the call last week (9th March) to go for medical in couple weeks mid march.... any idea when the intake might be for this group? (That's assuming there's a group of us going for a medical at the same time)

Anyone else get a call last week?

the_view wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I got the call last week (9th March) to go for medical in couple weeks mid march.... any idea when the intake might be for this group? (That's assuming there's a group of us going for a medical at the same time)

Anyone else get a call last week?

There will be about 10 to 12 of yee there.....and if all gos well you should get the call to start training the 1st or 2nd weekend of May. Enjoy sitting in the waiting room in those lovely pink bathrobes which are all too small :) best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Destiny

I got a call for my Medical today! Delighted! Anyone else hear back from HQ for Medical? Mine is in early April. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 collw2

Hi all,
    Any one meet with the super Just before Getting a call For the medical??

going to do the medical on the 21 of April.. anyone else in the club for that day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thedan22

hey guys,
    after just under a year after applying i have been called for a medical.
    the problem is i have moved to the UK for work and more than likely will be starting a MSc here in September.
    Such bad look, ive been umemployed since september 10 and am in the UK 3 weeks and they call me.
    What should i do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hi All,

I've recevied phone call today my medical is coming up very soon...... I've done some research about the garda reserve medical and all I seem to be seeing is BMI check is part of it.

I've looked into this and appears the BMI check is not an exact sience and cannot be relied on really.

As it stands, I've checked out my BMI and currently its 32 but the doctor says it to do with my natural build AND NOT actually being overweight........

Has anyone gone for a medical and failed on BMI ????

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

GRHopefull wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've recevied phone call today my medical is coming up very soon...... I've done some research about the garda reserve medical and all I seem to be seeing is BMI check is part of it.

I've looked into this and appears the BMI check is not an exact sience and cannot be relied on really.

As it stands, I've checked out my BMI and currently its 32 but the doctor says it to do with my natural build AND NOT actually being overweight........

may I ask when did you do your interview? Have you been told you have cleared the background tests?

halfback5 wrote: »
    may I ask when did you do your interview? Have you been told you have cleared the background tests?

Hi

Did my interview last year and received a phone call about 4 weeks ago to say my background checks were nearly finished/complete.

I then received another phone call saying I'm to attend for medical examination in a couple of weeks.

My understanding from reading the boards, the medical can be carried out before all checks are completed.

At present, I'm more concerned about passing the medical..... RE: BMI count.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

Hi

Did my interview last year and received a phone call about 4 weeks ago to say my background checks were nearly finished/complete.

I then received another phone call saying I'm to attend for medical examination in a couple of weeks.

My understanding from reading the boards, the medical can be carried out before all checks are completed.

At present, I'm more concerned about passing the medical..... RE: BMI count.

best of luck with it! I'm waiting patiently or should I say non patiently for my background tests to be completed and for my medical :)

• Advertisement

halfback5 wrote: »
    best of luck with it! I'm waiting patiently or should I say non patiently for my background tests to be completed and for my medical :)

Thank you,

Hopefully, I'll do well......... am putting in the effort to drop my BMI but doesn't seem to be going very well.

How long you waiting to hear about medical ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 andrewb123

Hi All,

Congrats on getting the call for the medical. Where did you hear that they test your BMI? I had my medical in January and my BMI wasn't tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

Hola Everyone.. only noticed there was a separate forum for Garda reserve! pretty cool :D! so i got a letter asking me to attend an interview in April! just curious if anyone has any tips to help me along???
    :D

Oh and the BMI issue? does anyone know what it is? im below the 30's! i think last time i checked was like 26!

andrewb123 wrote: »
    Congrats on getting the call for the medical. Where did you hear that they test your BMI? I had my medical in January and my BMI wasn't tested.

Thanks,

I was reading through earlier post's (going back years) and saw there was a lot of talk about BMI.

I appreciate your comments, about not checking BMI....... this has put my mind at ease.

There will be about 10 to 12 of yee there.....and if all gos well you should get the call to start training the 1st or 2nd weekend of May. Enjoy sitting in the waiting room in those lovely pink bathrobes which are all too small :) best of luck

Thanks lawnmower.... no pressure... only have my thesis due in those weeks.... on a Friday too...! :rolleyes::) There wasn't any robes though, thank feck

Thanks,

I was reading through earlier post's (going back years) and saw there was a lot of talk about BMI.

I appreciate your comments, about not checking BMI....... this has put my mind at ease.

BMI is tested.... they use you're height and enter it, along with your age into the scales which will print out your BMI as well as your BMR

the_view wrote: »
    BMI is tested.... they use you're height and enter it, along with your age into the scales which will print out your BMI as well as your BMR

Dose anyone want to attempt to put a number on the BMI!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Dose anyone want to attempt to put a number on the BMI!!!

Like another poster I was about 26 (1 over the normal range) and it was fine, so they apparently are not rigidly strict on BMI being within EU / US guidelines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Barnett17

Altezza98 wrote: »
    Hi, can i ask when did you guy's do your medical? I did mine last Wednesday :D but dont think I'l be called for the 6th of May.
    My medical was in February but it doesnt matter when you do the medical its when you apply. I did my medical with a girl who applied nearly a year before me and she got called into the March recruitment, when I rang and asked why I wasnt called she told me that its a first come first serve basis in regard to applying! Hope that answers your question!

anyhting over 30 is a fail. and i think if they let people in who fail it's undermining the whole thing. besides the BMI limit is 30 for a number of reasons. in my opinion one of them has to be general fitness to carry out your duties. i am footballer, 13stone, bmi 22 and body fat 8%, im very fit. yet when i have to chase somebody with all that gear on, stab vest, fleece, jacket,belt and those huge boots, it's an unreal effort and i do be wrecked. So heres a scenario..your on the beat and you see an assault or criminal damge (very common) the suspected offender flees, how can somebody who is failing BMI tests going to catch them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Is it normal to be waiting over 12 months for the medical? Ive rang HQ 3 times and I have been told they only have one form to sign but its in an understaffed department.

that is very long alright. but the amount of applicants is crazy. 8,000 people have gone for the 450-500 spots remaining.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Altezza98

Barnett17 wrote: »
    My medical was in February but it doesnt matter when you do the medical its when you apply. I did my medical with a girl who applied nearly a year before me and she got called into the March recruitment, when I rang and asked why I wasnt called she told me that its a first come first serve basis in regard to applying! Hope that answers your question!

Ah right, Thanks for the reply :D
    I applied in Jan 2010, Then I had my interview mid May 2010 so I guess I'l be waiting a while longer . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 karen2224

I was just wondering how long were you waiting for a medical after you sent in your BR form.

Thanks.

Altezza98 wrote: »
    Ah right, Thanks for the reply :D
    I applied in Jan 2010, Then I had my interview mid May 2010 so I guess I'l be waiting a while longer . .

thats not true, i applied january 2010, and did the medical april 2010 and started in may 2010. i was with people in the medical who had applied 2 years ago and i still got called dow before them because their background checks took longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DubDan

that is very long alright. but the amount of applicants is crazy. 8,000 people have gone for the 450-500 spots remaining.....

Hi lawnmower when you say only 450-500 spots left does that mean they are not recruiting any more and are just going to give the spots to who ever gets there BR checks and medical done first.

I ask because I am waiting since October 2009 when I sent my BR forms in and just waiting on 1 more person to be checked and if what you say is the case it might be full before I hear anything about a medical .

karen2224 wrote: »
    I was just wondering how long were you waiting for a medical after you sent in your BR form.

Thanks.

Heya
    From the BR form to the call for the medical- 5 months, but i believe im one of the lucky ones because alot seem to be waiting 6 months plus
    hope this helps

Guy's the time between phases of application is different for everyone. to say From BR to medical is five months or so can't be that true. My time from applying on public jobs to actually walking in the gates of templemore was less then 5 months :) and as for recruiting, the garda reserve has a maximum authorised strength of 1,400. so when this is full...it is full

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

So what happens to those of use who are going through the processes if they reach the 10% target? Surely they would not be still recruiting more reserves if they are planning to stop at 10%?

• Advertisement

i suppose you will be put onto a panel just like applicants to the fulltime force are...

Well folks.
    doing my medical next thursday. Can anyone give me directions as to where I go when I go through the gates
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well folks.
    doing my medical next thursday. Can anyone give me directions as to where I go when I go through the gates
    cheers

You will go into the main guard-room at the gate; Your picture will be taken and you will be given an ID card to hang round your neck.

They will give you directions from there, but out the door, take a left; continue walking to the end and turn right; go straight down there and their will be a turn to the left. You will see a sign for 'Medical Centre' outside the door, real straight-forward once you are in there.

Good luck on Thursday :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You will go into the main guard-room at the gate; Your picture will be taken and you will be given an ID card to hang round your neck.

They will give you directions from there, but out the door, take a left; continue walking to the end and turn right; go straight down there and their will be a turn to the left. You will see a sign for 'Medical Centre' outside the door, real straight-forward once you are in there.

Good luck on Thursday :)

Cheers mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woodzie1991

Hello everyone,

I got an e-mail requesting me to attend a medical at HQ on the 19th of May.

Absolutely delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Hello everyone,

I got an e-mail requesting me to attend a medical at HQ on the 19th of May.

Absolutely delighted :D
    Lucky.Can I ask how long youve been waiting? I have a friend who did the interviews for the GR at the same time as me. I am still waiting for a medical for over 12 months and they are in the training process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Hi i just recieved an email to attend the medical in Dublin on the 25th May, Its been December 2010 since i handed in my BR form and did the interview with the super in January 2011. Im so excited, could anyone tell me whats involved, what you wear etc, and is anyone else heading up then? :D

doing the medical on the 16th June.. had to postpone it. . . . absolutely ripping that i did!!! anyone else heading down then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

just awaiting the date for my medical. last step :) is in the evening or weekend? thanks

snorlax wrote: »
    just awaiting the date for my medical. last step :) is in the evening or weekend? thanks

i was called on a Thursday, 9:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Hi was just wondering does anyone know if you must bring a report of your medical history for the past 5 years from your doctor down to the medical? As I read something about it on the BR form a while back, Anyone Know? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement