Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

sdonn wrote: »
    Just got a call from HQ arranging my Medical for the end of the month. Excellent, seeing I applied over a year ago :)

Anyone want to give a full account of what's involved in the medical who's done it recently please? I know I wrote the sticky but I hadn't done a medical so it was a bit vague :P

How strict are they on gammy teeth? I've a rotten one and a chipped one that need attention - root canals - that I can't afford, certainly not in the time frame I've got. Reckon I'll fail it on eyesight but I know they'll let you get laser if you do so I;m not too worried about trying that first.

that's great news sdonn, you had a long wait for this so I'm sure you won't let a few small things like that get in your way. I can't give you any advice on the medical but I can tell you any money you spend on the laser surgery is a great investment. I had it done a few years ago and it's amazing the difference it makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Just got a call from HQ arranging my Medical for the end of the month. Excellent, seeing I applied over a year ago :)

Anyone want to give a full account of what's involved in the medical who's done it recently please? I know I wrote the sticky but I hadn't done a medical so it was a bit vague :P

How strict are they on gammy teeth? I've a rotten one and a chipped one that need attention - root canals - that I can't afford, certainly not in the time frame I've got. Reckon I'll fail it on eyesight but I know they'll let you get laser if you do so I;m not too worried about trying that first.

Just?what time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

leddpipe wrote: »
    Just?what time?

Bout 3pm on Monday but I had to ring them back today to confirm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Fair play sdonn. You must have been gathering dust over there waiting for some movement on your application. Best of luck with the medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Whooooot! Movement! Delighted you have been given a date sdonn, hope it all works out for you now :)

Just about to edit the medical bit of the Guide sticky for anyone interested in more detail, as I'm just home from it.

Personally, I need to fix my eyesight with Laser (no problem doing that), unfortunately with the reserves that puts me back to square one :(

I actually don't mind waiting - I'm 21 and in no rush - but I don't see how two extra hours of the government's time to retest someone after laser can possibly be cheaper or easier than making us reapply.

Anyone who did the medical this morning on here actually? Forgot to mention boards.

Just about to edit the medical bit of the Guide sticky for anyone interested in more detail, as I'm just home from it.

Personally, I need to fix my eyesight with Laser (no problem doing that), unfortunately with the reserves that puts me back to square one :(

I actually don't mind waiting - I'm 21 and in no rush - but I don't see how two extra hours of the government's time to retest someone after laser can possibly be cheaper or easier than making us reapply.

Anyone who did the medical this morning on here actually? Forgot to mention boards.

I was wondering if you were going to post today or wait a few days like others have done here. Sorry to hear that man :(.

Out of the numbers there, did many pass? I'm hearing shocking stories on the percentages of passes at medical stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

You do know that you can get a deferral to get your eyesight fixed and then `you just get re tested and they tell whether its good enough of not, or was this not brought up

da__flash wrote: »
    You do know that you can get a deferral to get your eyesight fixed and then `you just get re tested and they tell whether its good enough of not, or was this not brought up

I brought it up myself. A benefit not afforded to reserves unfortunately, stupid budget issues apparently its too expensive - i fail to see how another interview, report, serg+super interviews and time spent doing the BR again could possibly be cheaper unless those doctors are on a grand an hour...or maybe they jus expect a certain percentage to bugger off and not bother reapplying.

Ah well, out of my hands for the moment. Think I'll wait a year till I'm 22/23 and maybe suss out laser. My dad had it done with great success so hopefully that means they're less likely to blind me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I brought it up myself. A benefit not afforded to reserves unfortunately, stupid budget issues apparently its too expensive - i fail to see how another interview, report, serg+super interviews and time spent doing the BR again could possibly be cheaper unless those doctors are on a grand an hour...or maybe they jus expect a certain percentage to bugger off and not bother reapplying.

Ah well, out of my hands for the moment. Think I'll wait a year till I'm 22/23 and maybe suss out laser. My dad had it done with great success so hopefully that means they're less likely to blind me :rolleyes:

I cant remember exactly where on this subject the posts are but in there somewhere a reserve was in this positon, got his eyes sorted with laser treatment, went back for medical and passed so there should be hope for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 collw2

I had my interview with the super in my local station last month, up until now the process was really quick to get interviews ect. with the longest I have waited to here back at any stage being 3 weeks.
    I know the medical stage is next, how will i be informed? And anyone know how long the wait is at present? I heard there will be 250 reserves taken in by xmas???? or can anyone tell me any info about next intake???

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Newboy9

Have completed all interviews adn the BR1. However still waiting to hear when the medical will take place (or if!) All, but one, of my checks are back. Medicals take place on a weekly basis and you will recieve either a call or letter from the Gda appointments office if you are being called.

Hope that is of some help. I try to check in with them form time to time but try not to annoy. Most are helpful but some tell you to wait for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

It's been two months since i last posted here as i got disappointing news after my medical that there was a abnormality with my hearing in one of my ears. So my medical result was deferred until i got further investigations done. I went away thinking my chance was gone.
    So i was ready to give up

Anyway after nearly two months of tests MRI, X-RAYS, Audiology tests and more. All results coming back from my ENT consultant stating that there was no abnormality that affect me in any of my dutys.

I brought these results to Garda HQ medical center today and had a appointment with the doctor and after reviewing the case with the new documents and results she was very happy to pass me fit so i can move on to the next stage.

Very happy to say the least.

So anyone who stumbles in the medical first time and feel like giving up DONT. Just do everything in your power to investigate your problem untill every door is shut in your face. It came off for me.

Just thought i would share.

thanks for the help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

hi i am waiting on back ground checks to be finished i sent it in about six weeks ago, should i send a email to them to see how they are going or kust leave it alone

• Advertisement

Id recommend just leaving it alone ya dont wanna be annoying them yaknow !! it can take time from what i heard. but u will hear from them i'm sure!

clare33 wrote: »
    hi i am waiting on back ground checks to be finished i sent it in about six weeks ago, should i send a email to them to see how they are going or kust leave it alone

It usually takes a minimum of three months for the checks to be completed from what I hear. It can take over a year so you would probably be better off just forgetting about it for a while.

I did fall into the trap of calling HQ to see how my checks were going and to be honest all it does is make the wait seem longer. You'll get there in time, don't worry.

The plot thickens. Just got a letter in the door from the Assistant Comissioner saying that if I get LASIK done within the next 6 months they'll reconsider me.

Communication not the medical dept's forte, methinks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

The plot thickens. Just got a letter in the door from the Assistant Comissioner saying that if I get LASIK done within the next 6 months they'll reconsider me.

Communication not the medical dept's forte, methinks :P

Well now that all that stuff has been put out in the open about the reserves and the dust begins to settle for the record and being a reserve for almost 3yrs while policing a high profile event recently a gentleman from the TOP of the gardai hierarchy STEPPED out of the crowd and shook my hand and said to me ye guys are doing a good job..realising who he was i mentioned that we had made the newspapers recently. A LITTLE FISHING never goes astray.. DIDNT BEING WITH THE FULLTIMERS rub off on me..
    Anyway the top dog smiled back at me and said sure a little publicity can only be good..and he slipped back into the crowd smiling...

still bloody waiting! :mad:
    a year and 5 months now!

• Advertisement

a year and 5 months now!

hey! Can I ask is that wait since you first applied / since you passed stage1 and your checks began after result of stage1?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    hey! Can I ask is that wait since you first applied / since you passed stage1 and your checks began after result of stage1?

Yep.everything done except the ongoing BR checks!pain in the face!

a year and 5 months now!
    Yep.everything done except the ongoing BR checks!pain in the face!

just think

chihuahua-pot-1.gif

just think

chihuahua-pot-1.gif

haha excellent, frown upturned!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 clare33

DavidH82 wrote: »
    It usually takes a minimum of three months for the checks to be completed from what I hear. It can take over a year so you would probably be better off just forgetting about it for a while.

I did fall into the trap of calling HQ to see how my checks were going and to be honest all it does is make the wait seem longer. You'll get there in time, don't worry.
    hi thanks your right i think i will just forget about it for now i know they got it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

is anybody here still awaiting a medical date since last year??:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

Ye Srg Bilko I am wiaiting over a year now for a medical !!

have they told you what the hold is i just keep getting told its in different departments

Wel they are saying there is one a small part of the BC that is not done ??? at this stage i am like wat ever to be hoounest.....

I'm in the same boat pal :D. I've heard that the people that have only recently applied are getting in quicker but don't know how much of that is true.

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat pal :D. I've heard that the people that have only recently applied are getting in quicker but don't know how much of that is true.

I rang up a couple of times but sure there is nothing they will tel me over the phone or if I challenge them its a no go area... but sure I think i wil give another call today !:D I don't know if thats true or not as I have not being taking to anyone one who has.

I wouldn't keep giving them an ear full it'll magically disappear ha.
    Let us know how you get on hopefully they end up saying something you might wanna hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

My BR form was faxed off in June 2010 and i got a date for medical yesterday.

all my information was posted off in 2009 and still waiting my medical date.
    How did they contact you?

eru123 wrote: »
    My BR form was faxed off in June 2010 and i got a date for medical yesterday.

:cool:

Which month is your medical set for? Best of Luck with it. I hope you'll bring some good news to our forum.

:cool:

Which month is your medical set for? Best of Luck with it. I hope you'll bring some good news to our forum.

Are you a member of the reserve pal

Are you a member of the reserve pal

Well pal, how's the form! No I'm not.

Well pal, how's the form! No I'm not.

waiting on the reserve to get back to me begining to loose my patience with them.
    Have you put in for it at all you.

Hi,

Its set for this month. Oct 14th. Was contacted by both phone and email.
    Thanks, i hope it goes ok. I'll post any further info i get.
    Thats a pretty long time your waitin, id crack up!!:mad:

• Advertisement

yeah its too long.
    Hope everything goes well let us no how you get on in it.
    You'll pass it tho.

hopefully! thanks for the positivity, hope ya get a call soon.

no bother pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

It'll be a year in January since my BR form was sent back. I've forgotten all about it now and I don't think I'll hear anything before the new year the way things are going.

funkyflea wrote: »
    It'll be a year in January since my BR form was sent back. I've forgotten all about it now and I don't think I'll hear anything before the new year the way things are going.

I've been waiting since march 2009 i could of done life for murder and got out and i still wouldn't hear a whisper.
    You just need to sit tight and wait till they call or e mail you unfortunatly

I've been waiting since march 2009 i could of done life for murder and got out and i still wouldn't hear a whisper.
    You just need to sit tight and wait till they call or e mail you unfortunatly

I have been waiting almost as long. I heard that there is a big backlog of files waiting for the Commisioner to make a decision. Now I don't know exactly what that means but it would account for some of the delay.

• Advertisement

I have been waiting almost as long. I heard that there is a big backlog of files waiting for the Commisioner to make a decision. Now I don't know exactly what that means but it would account for some of the delay.

I understand that but the say were we stand on the matter afte all it has been a rediculous amount of time i mean if there so telling the public they need more public support and on telling people to join the reserve or full time force top contrubute surely they need a better way of getting things true.

When was your exam in all i could of done it same time as you?

I understand that but the say were we stand on the matter afte all it has been a rediculous amount of time i mean if there so telling the public they need more public support and on telling people to join the reserve or full time force top contrubute surely they need a better way of getting things true.

When was your exam in all i could of done it same time as you?

I did my exam in May 09 so a little after you I think. It's frustrating alright but at this point you have to be close to getting the call. There is still every chance you will make the November intake.

I did my exam in May 09 so a little after you I think. It's frustrating alright but at this point you have to be close to getting the call. There is still every chance you will make the November intake.

I don't know I've lost hope in it really :( two lads i went to college with had the same problems with full time force back before the recruitment ban announced one is now in the prison service and the other is in the army.

I think the recruitment is probably the same way the civil defence is run like depending on the county your in you have a high advantage of getting if that particular coutny doesn't have a high level of applications as the stations usually have to train you in there rather a high rate of applications coming from another county were the stations are jammed with trainees like i don't know just a thought i know the CD is run like that though.

I was talking to a man in the Garda hq this morning and he said the november intake is the weekend after next and there is another intake it december. plenty of time to make it before the end of the year lads!

eru123 wrote: »
    I was talking to a man in the Garda hq this morning and he said the november intake is the weekend after next and there is another intake it december. plenty of time to make it before the end of the year lads!

Ah but if your waiting as long as we have you begin to get use to whatever is been said and basically taking the seen is believing kinda approach.

Did you have your medical in all??

• Advertisement
Advertisement