Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

ya i get ya, gotta keep the faith though!! ya i had the medical this morning. i passed:):) there was about 8 others there as well. have to wait for another email regarding the intake. the waiting game starts again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

eru123 wrote: »
    ya i get ya, gotta keep the faith though!! ya i had the medical this morning. i passed:):) there was about 8 others there as well. have to wait for another email regarding the intake. the waiting game starts again!

Ah well done
    what was it like?

Cheers, was sound. went in and got a pass card from reception and down to the medical building then. Filled another medical form in and soon after the nurse took my blood pressure, height, weight, bmi, body fat, did the hearing test, exhaled into this thing to measure lung capacity, she looked in my mouth and took a urine sample from me. Waited another while and chatted to few people that were there. Good to see a few faces that are in the same boat as yourself!
    Upstairs to the doctor then. Looked into the machine to test vision (left eye, right eye then both eyes), laterial vision and for colourblindness.
    Finally i had to touch my toes while standing, took off my top and had my chest listened to while breathing in and out, got checked for a hernia (he reached downstairs and he asked me to cough!), made sure both liathróidí were there and asked me what i do to keep fit and sin é!:)
    Was talking to a lad that had applied in nov 08 and was only getting a medical now. Reminded me of yourself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Cheers, was sound. went in and got a pass card from reception and down to the medical building then. Filled another medical form in and soon after the nurse took my blood pressure, height, weight, bmi, body fat, did the hearing test, exhaled into this thing to measure lung capacity and took a urine sample. Waited another while and chatted to few people that were there. Good to see a few faces that are in the same boat as yourself!
    Upstairs to the doctor then. Looked into the machine to test vision (left eye, right eye then both eyes), laterial vision and colourblindness.
    Finally i had to touch my toes while standing, took off my top and had my chest listened to while breathing in and out, got checked for a hernia (he reached downstairs and he asked me to cough!), made sure both liathróidí were there and asked me what i do to keep fit and sin é!:)
    Was talking to a lad that had applied in nov 08 and was only getting a medical now. Reminded me of yourself!!

Well done eru123 :). Thanks for sharing your good news and for informing people of what briefly happens at the medical. I appreciate that.

Cheers, was sound. went in and got a pass card from reception and down to the medical building then. Filled another medical form in and soon after the nurse took my blood pressure, height, weight, bmi, body fat, did the hearing test, exhaled into this thing to measure lung capacity and took a urine sample. Waited another while and chatted to few people that were there. Good to see a few faces that are in the same boat as yourself!
    Upstairs to the doctor then. Looked into the machine to test vision (left eye, right eye then both eyes), laterial vision and colourblindness.

Haha if that was me i'd be out on the gargle getting el loco with me mates :D
    Cheers for the information sounds like all is going well for you ha were still in the waiting room ha
    before you no it you be chasing some skanger bangers haha
    Well done again i'd the familia is chuffed ha

Haha if that was me i'd be out on the gargle getting el loco with me mates :D
    Cheers for the information sounds like all is going well for you ha were still in the waiting room ha
    before you no it you be chasing some skanger bangers haha
    Well done again i'd the familia is chuffed ha

haha that'll have to be done alright!!:D
    ya im a happy camper at the minute. haha hopefully, gotta get a date for templemore first though!

haha that'll have to be done alright!!:D
    ya im a happy camper at the minute. haha hopefully, gotta get a date for templemore first though!

When are you due to get the date for.
    Some people are saying there is a good pub across the road from there but i wouldn't drink there the night of you training grad day!

Some people are saying there is a good pub across the road from there but i wouldn't drink there the night of you training grad day!

think sometime in december, i'll try find out. ya pollys i hear..wouldnt wanna make a show a myself!! ha! might get kicked out before i even get in!!:eek:

think sometime in december, i'll try find out. ya pollys i hear..wouldnt wanna make a show a myself!! ha! might get kicked out before i even get in!!:eek:

What happens in pollys stays in pollys just dont sleep there ha.

How many of you's are heading down did they mention an amount or anything

ha definitely! gave them a call this morning. There is an intake today and the next intake is for the 3rd December. 40 will be taken in for December. she said the offers are sent out, in order of preference, 4 weeks in advance so thats early November. the next intake is probably going to be in February but thats not confirmed yet.

• Advertisement

ha definitely! gave them a call this morning. There is an intake today and the next intake is for the 3rd December. 40 will be taken in for December. she said the offers are sent out, in order of preference, 4 weeks in advance so thats early November. the next intake is probably going to be in February but thats not confirmed yet.

And have you been told when your heading down shoud be brilliant

no not yet, i'll find out in a few weeks if im in that batch. ya should be good, never thought it'd be around so quick. gotta read up about phase 1 now! (for once im not complainin about havin work to do, ha!)

no not yet, i'll find out in a few weeks if im in that batch. ya should be good, never thought it'd be around so quick. gotta read up about phase 1 now! (for once im not complainin about havin work to do, ha!)

Haha its something different and you like thats why your not ha
    Are you a college graduate or working because it it fits in perfect if your more in college i noticed????

Haha its something different and you like thats why your not ha
    Are you a college graduate or working because it it fits in perfect if your more in college i noticed????

Mod Note: These posts have absolutely NO relevance to this thread! This will be the only warning I will issue on this thread before I WILL issue warnings or infractions for not following moderator instructions. Their is no need to comment on moderator actions either. Thanks. Back on-topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Just passed Medical, :) Any body that needs step by step info, Ask...!! Feb here I come...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 collw2

Congrats on the medical, good to hear a bit of positivity.

I have been waiting about 6 mounths now since i handed in the Br form! last I heard my background clearance was all done! that was about 8 weeks ago.

Just passed Medical, :) Any body that needs step by step info, Ask...!! Feb here I come...
    Congrats good to hear its going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DubDan

I had a chat with the super in may of this year but handed my BR form in last october. Have rang HR and they said its just my uncle in Englands clearence thats holding it up the thing i tried to explain was my uncle died a month ago. Has any one else had one persons basckground hold everything up.

Ah well done man! I've just looked at the intro thread and see you applied in Feb '09, that's some waiting game you've played, delighted for you :D

You want to run through the process from the day you were there for the medical? I'm sure it's the same for everyone but considering the stages for meetings etc happen differently for some candidates, if you could outline what happened for you on the day of the medical it would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

I think were both in sh?t creek aye ha

Unfortunately :-( so let's talk about the medical. What do they do exactly??

Unfortunately :-( so let's talk about the medical. What do they do exactly??

Well measure fats and muscle mass check see if your able to run and have no illnesses that effect you in your duties and oh and cup the manly hood turn your neck and cough but you don't need to worry about that sorta thing lucky you haha

Got a pass card and picture taken from reception and told to take a seat. Then your showed where to go to the medical building. Which is out the door turn left, down about 300yards in between two buildings down the back. You cant miss the large sign. Just inside the door you speak to the reception person. She or He will give you a medical form to fill out. Get a jar behind you and pee into it, in the toilet. The nurse will call you in, blood pressure, height, weight, bmi, body fat, did the hearing test, exhaled into this thing to measure lung capacity.
    Upstairs to the doctor which in my case was a women..she will ask you to take off your clothes down to your boxers..
    Had to touch my toes while standing looking at a mirror..cheched over for scars and bcg marks then popped up onto the bed..had my chest listened to while breathing in and out, she looked in my mouth, ears, ask me how do I keep fit, walking I said..! She inspected my gonads, asked to cough..after that get dressed.
    Looked into the machine to test vision (left eye, right eye then both eyes), laterial vision and for colourblindness book.

As easy as that...:cool: PASS..... Time took 9am to 12pm..

Yes your right! Urine test included free of charge...
    Any more info needed check Medical section...It's all there!!
    tcd wrote: »
    Im guessing there is the urine test also involved in the medical too?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Well finally got word, I have a medical at HQ, the end of this month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

hi all, waiting to be called for my medical, feels like ages now, the only thing im worried about it the lung capacity test they do, i dont have asthma and im a non smoker but i cant seem to do the lung capacity test well, does anyone know what the pass mark is for that test, im worried if i dont get it im out :(

• Advertisement

It's different for every body, weight, height, and age... I think if you blow more that half way up the tube..your ok?? Dont worry about the small things!! On the day you'll do fine...More the hearing and eyes test to watch out for!!!! and BMI....
    jenny81 wrote: »
    hi all, waiting to be called for my medical, feels like ages now, the only thing im worried about it the lung capacity test they do, i dont have asthma and im a non smoker but i cant seem to do the lung capacity test well, does anyone know what the pass mark is for that test, im worried if i dont get it im out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

hearing has diminished approx 48% and have been waiting 13 months for call back. I called them and they said there is a backlog of a least 12 months.
    cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

Is it hard to pass the eyes test. I wear lens every day as my sight is minus 1.50 so do the say people with lens can pass the medical?

It's different for every body, weight, height, and age... I think if you blow more that half way up the tube..your ok?? Dont worry about the small things!! On the day you'll do fine...More the hearing and eyes test to watch out for!!!! and BMI....

The machine to test your eyes is a bit old I thought!! I dont know when it was calibrated last? From what I can remember, The doc asked everybody to take off all glasses and contacts out...Correct me if I'm wrong...I dont have that problem....my mammy told me to eat my carrots...LOL..
    Your levels are fine!! Dont worry....Ring HRM...
    Is it hard to pass the eyes test. I wear lens every day as my sight is minus 1.50 so do the say people with lens can pass the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jenny81

Hope your right, i want this so much i dont want something so small to get in the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

Thanks for the info, maybe if i'm good Santa might bring me Laser surgery as my present :-))) Good luck and hope you get called for Feb batch.

The machine to test your eyes is a bit old I thought!! I dont know when it was calibrated last? From what I can remember, The doc asked everybody to take off all glasses and contacts out...Correct me if I'm wrong...I dont have that problem....my mammy told me to eat my carrots...LOL..
    Your levels are fine!! Dont worry....Ring HRM...

I got called for 3rd Dec intake, lucky for me...Now let the real pain start...:eek:..Not many people on Boards going down Dec?
    Thanks for the info, maybe if i'm good Santa might bring me Laser surgery as my present :-))) Good luck and hope you get called for Feb batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I got called for 3rd Dec intake, lucky for me...Now let the real pain start...:eek:..Not many people on Boards going down Dec?
    Hope I get into the next intake but waiting for my medical since september. Rang them up and was told they only had one form to fill out but the department doing it is under staffed. Hopefully I will get the medical soon I am in college doing police studies and am anxious to get expierence in the reserves.(While I wait for full time recruitment.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Hi guys. Just a question to the luckys that got through the medical in relation to BMI. Is their a max number ( obviously there is )..And what is the Max they will allow?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

you need to be less than 30 to be sure of a pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭jc1980

Anyone have the medical next Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmwills5

Hey Guys.

Did interview in April 09, after a long wait I eventually got the call for medical, doing medical on Wednesday, anyone have any tips, what is involved!!! Hopefully it won't be to long until the call for Templemore, how long would you usually be waiting after your medical to be called to start training. Anyone waiting a while, hang in there, it will be worth it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

wish my mediacl would happen soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dorrianpaul

Hi all

I just got word to contact Garda HQ regarding my medical. I am wondering can anyone tell me what happens at the medical. I am a bit overweight. Do they take this serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

I may be corrected on this but my understanding is that if your BMI is under 30 you'll be ok... when is the medical? Any way you could lose a few pounds before it? There will be a urine test, lung capacity test, hearing test and a general feel up...

• Advertisement

Hi loopie

Cheers for that. I don't have a date yet they phoned and asked me to contact them to schedule a date. Therefore I will ring them tomorrow and try a get a date for two or three weeks giving me some time to take off the Christmas pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

The next take on is early February so you might make it in for that. Fingers crossed you will, be great to start your training.
    I'm still waiting on background checks :( Can I ask when you applied?

I did my first interview in oct 2009 and did my inspector interview about 5 months ago. The inspector that interviewed me gave me his mobile number if I had any problems. I phoned him before Christmas and asked him if he could find out when I would be taken in he said he would get on it and it seems he did!!! I have been told that the background checking takes a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ashling123

can someone please answer that...im freaking out.:eek::eek:
    I read that a persons eyesight cant be less than 6/18, 6/18 .
    my eyesight is 6/12, 6/20. which means my vision is out by 2 (i think) could i still pass the eye test even tho my vision is out by 2 or are they real strict? also do they combine your eyesight? because if they do i should be ok

please reply

ashling123 wrote: »
    can someone please answer that...im freaking out.:eek::eek:
    I read that a persons eyesight cant be less than 6/18, 6/18 .
    my eyesight is 6/12, 6/20. which means my vision is out by 2 (i think) could i still pass the eye test even tho my vision is out by 2 or are they real strict? also do they combine your eyesight? because if they do i should be ok

please reply
    Unfortunately i think you need to pass using both eyes. They get you to look into a lens using your left eye, right eye and then using both eyes. If you use contacts or glasses i think they will ask you to read using the contacts/glasses also.The guy that tested me was very nice however their is another doctor up their, a female, i wont mention her name and she's suppposed to be a bit*h. Get tested by your local optician and see exactly what vision you have. if you pass (that is you achieve the requirment) get a letter which you can produce to the doctor up in the HQ when your medical comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ashling123

Unfortunately i think you need to pass using both eyes. They get you to look into a lens using your left eye, right eye and then using both eyes. If you use contacts or glasses i think they will ask you to read using the contacts/glasses also.The guy that tested me was very nice however their is another doctor up their, a female, i wont mention her name and she's suppposed to be a bit*h. Get tested by your local optician and see exactly what vision you have. if you pass (that is you achieve the requirment) get a letter which you can produce to the doctor up in the HQ when your medical comes around.

i have glasses but i try not wear them unless i have to. wuld it make any difference if i can read grand with them? and the las time i had my eyes tested was 2 years ago and m vision was 6/12, 6/20 so i cant imagine it improving :( i just cant believe im only out by 2 tho...such a small number yet its gonna stop me passing the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lor1984

Hi everyone I'm new to this but I had my interview and exam on the 9th of feb 2010 and met the local superintendant last month and have my medical now on the 19th of Jan which I'm nervous about I dont like ppl looking at me espically when your stripped down to ur smalls anyways if anyone knows of a decent place to stay around the HQ can you let me know im travelling up from waterford.:o

lor1984 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I'm new to this but I had my interview and exam on the 9th of feb 2010 and met the local superintendant last month and have my medical now on the 19th of Jan which I'm nervous about I dont like ppl looking at me espically when your stripped down to ur smalls anyways if anyone knows of a decent place to stay around the HQ can you let me know im travelling up from waterford.:o

Hi I have my medical on we'd 19th also. I don't know of anywhere to stay but I am if you search google it will help. Regarding stripping down I don't think it's as bad what you see in the movies. I think it's a general look over and a review of your medical history if there is any. See you wed week

I started the process in Oct 09 and only I phoned HQ and made a few enquiries myself I would still be waiting on medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Dubbhoy

guys applied in 2009 April, Did all the interviews ( i knew the srg and inspector) all them were happy with me and approved my application, I still waiting on word back, I was speaking with local super he says he will ring up and find out what the problem. He got back to me to say that its a long process ..... All I can do is wait. At this stage I have a pain in the back side with them really :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

anyone in similar position

Advertisement