Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

you DO believe in God.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

How many people are REALLY atheist?

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

How many atheists are really left?

Yeah, the power of christ compels me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srynelo

kev9100 wrote: »
    No, I dont believe in God.
    If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent. The mere fact that you claimed "you don't BELIEVE in God" is a proof that you have a belief, and that is "you DON'T BELIEVE".
    Proving that God does not exist is like going inside the Library of Congress, and after ONLY you've read all the books,archives,etc... in it, and say to yourself that what you're looking for was not there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

srynelo wrote: »
    If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent. The mere fact that you claimed "you don't BELIEVE in God" is a proof that you have a belief, and that is "you DON'T BELIEVE".
    Proving that God does not exist is like going inside the Library of Congress, and after ONLY you've read all the books,archives,etc... in it, and say to yourself that what you're looking for was not there...

Sorry dude, if this is condescending, but that post is full of fails. You don't understand the concept of faith/belief. Nor the definition of atheism. Nor the idea of proof. Kudos on admitting that disproving God is impossible, at least that's something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God exists. The mere fact that you claimed "you BELIEVE in God" is not proof that God exists. Proving that God exists is like standing outside the Library of Congress, and after ONLY staring at the door of the building... saying to yourself that what you're looking for was in there...

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent.

Well that's easy. It's God directly manipulating my brain chemistry... ah ****, you've caught me out.

The mere fact that you claimed "you don't BELIEVE in God" is a proof that you have a belief, and that is "you DON'T BELIEVE"

Do you believe I am blond? Or do you believe I am not blond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

If you can prove or explain how love, hope , trust, intuition.... happens/occurs...then you can tell the world that God is non-existent.

Can a theist explain how God explains how love, hope, trust and intuition happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wicknight wrote: »
    Can a theist explain how God explains how love, hope, trust and intuition happens?

Those things make us feel nice, therefore God exists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I knew I believed in something but forgot about it!

Ah, believing in god, it's always in the last place I look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ski Boz

Ah Feckin Jaysis Mary and Joseph! Yer all madsers.

Blasphemy: The victimless crime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

I have too say that it really is interesting for people/theists/poster to think that it's faddish to be an athiest.
    As a person who went had religous mother & grandparents and went to a holy ghost school I, for lack of a better word struggled for a long time with the concept of no afterlife it is so fundamentally a part of religon that it is the last hurdle too get over in the face of overwhelming evidence.

but the more you learn the more you agree that having self awareness makes us predesposed to not understanding ends.

I am far free'er no, I ensure that I get the most out of life knowing that this is all you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Ski Boz wrote: »
    Blasphemy: The victimless crime

rofl :p

I like that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

Hi my name is Tom and I've been an atheist for 25 years all of my adult life, I remember the first time experimenting with thoughs of no-gods, then I was hooked, the whole fuzzy wuzzy world came into focus. It's only really got serious in the last number of years when I realised I wasn't alone, there was others.
    (and I am using the analogy of alcohol which was a pob for a short time)
    It's like this were all born Atheist and then indoctinated with some religion before we can count to 10 which I class as mental child abuse.

I kinda miss this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Undergod wrote: »
    I kinda miss this thread.

Think we should have a funeral for it? Maybe a Sticky headstone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I love the thread title most, I can imagine some horrible thing shouting it at me, like this woman...

Horrible stuff, eugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

'You're going to get nothing, absolutely nothing for Christmas, 'cause that's what Christmas is about, Jesus Christ!'

Best quote ever.

I'm still waiting for a reply from srynelo. Though four posts since Dec 2007 indicates I'll have to wait a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

Atheists are always really left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You know, I think the REAL question here is, how many people who will tell you that, yes, they do sort of believe in god, actually don't?

How many true believers are really left?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

I think the above poster is right.

The question is a lot nearer the mark if you turn it around. How many people who profess to be believers actually are?

For one the number of people who claim in polls to be believers is much bigger then church attendances.

I don't know about you, but if I truly believed in an Almighty God I would be in Church every week without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't pretend to know the intimate inner workings of a devout Christian.

So why in the hell are you trying to tell me what kind of Atheist I am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Overheal wrote: »
    I don't pretend to know the intimate inner workings of a devout Christian.

So why in the hell are you trying to tell me what kind of Atheist I am?

That post is 3 months old and she hasn't posted since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    That post is 3 months old and she hasn't posted since then.
    Grrr Troll. Bah. Edit the OP.

Advertisement