Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you DO believe in God.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

adamshred wrote: »
    I know people who failed everything on their leaving cert and they're a hell of a lot more intelligent than many others I know who passed with flying colours.

Wait, they failed EVERYTHING? Now, unless they were doing it on purpose to make some sort of social/political statement how smart can they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

<deleted due to apathy>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wait, they failed EVERYTHING? Now, unless they were doing it on purpose to make some sort of social/political statement how smart can they be?

I failed all my exams once, it can happen for reasons that just, well, happen. Bounced back tho. :) I don't think anyone fails exams on purpose, they are idiots who do dismally and deserve to do so for lack of effort and laziness, but there are often people who badly under perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sure, but they gots street smarts, babay...

You can't teach dat in know skool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Malty_T wrote: »
    I failed all my exams once,

If you don't mind my noseyness, what sort of exams were they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

How many people are REALLY atheist?

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

How many atheists are really left?

How many people are REALLY RELIGIOUS?

Let's be honest - it's social pressure. People are afraid their parents, relatives or members of the community will ostracise them if they openly declare atheism, or even question "their" faith seriously. Deep down though, a lot of these people only pray out of habit.

A lot of people who genuinely follow religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and find that fairytales offer no comfort
    Some in their conscious mind think 'God is real' , but subconsciously, some doubts remain. Whether it's a result of inneffective indoctrination, or a human connection to something ratioinal I don't know.

How many believers are really left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

goose2005 wrote: »
    How many believers are really left?

Mainly nutjobs unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

How many people are REALLY atheist?

Let's be honest - it's in vogue. People think it's cool, intellectual or rebellious to be atheist. Deep down though, a lot of these people secretly say a prayer here or there.

A lot of people who genuinely have abandoned religious belief find themselves at the end of life afraid of death, and quickly convert.

Some in their conscious mind think 'God is not real' , but subconsciously, some beliefs remain. Whether it's a result of their upbringing, or a human connection to something spiritual I don't know.

How many atheists are really left?

I can't be bothered reading this whole thread. this is on a par to a school argument in the 70s when I was told that if I got caught in a house fire with no way out I'd scream Jesus! Well, I'm Irish....and I might equally say Sh*te or Oh f*ck or Jaysus or even combine the latter two. But it wouldn't be a conversion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Because expletives are religion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A Christian telling other people what they believe, or should believe, never seen that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

A Christian telling other people what they believe, or should believe, never seen that before.
    I'm just quoting because I like your name. Although obviously I agree with the sentiment too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Does God believe in me and if he does I would like,

our relationship to have a new start based on equality and inclusiveness.

He/she come across as bit of a God on high up to this point.

It may be just a presentational thing but God has to up his game and stop being all smoke and mirrors.

Its up to you God you know where to find me if you want a new beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

adamshred wrote: »
    Possibly the most immature post that I have encountered on this site to date.

I know people who failed everything on their leaving cert and they're a hell of a lot more intelligent than many others I know who passed with flying colours.

Ridiculous post.

Sweet ****. I wasn't talking about intelligence, but knowledge. I was talking specifically about Biology and evolution. This person has basically no knowledge of the subject other than what that sneery ****er Dawkins has said in a couple of TV shows, whereas I've read quite widely on the subject and it's a major part of what I'm doing now in college. What I said annoys me is when someone who has little or no knowledge of something talks down to me when I have a lot more knowledge on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ItisintheSTARS

blinding wrote: »
    Does God believe in me and if he does I would like,

our relationship to have a new start based on equality and inclusiveness.

He/she come across as bit of a God on high up to this point.

It may be just a presentational thing but God has to up his game and stop being all smoke and mirrors.

Its up to you God you know where to find me if you want a new beginning.

What an interesting prayer.
    Well it sounds as if you might 'want' a relationship with God ,but on your terms.
    Sounds as though you have not been able to do the one thing that might allow Him [it is always the masculine that initiates,so God is a He].
    And what is that ? Well it is arrogant for a start,and it also is destructive.
    God created a working Universe,and arrogance assumes that you have the right to take control.
    Lucifer did this.Being an Aquarian he was Given much knowledge,but he was not a creator.Left in his hands we would not all be here in what is a wonderful world for those who have Grace,and given themselves up to his creative[and loving powers].
    It is difficult if you have the habit of rebellion,of believing in your own power.But you cannot go very far with your own power,or knowledge.
    These powers are temporary ,and the more arrogant ,and defiant you are ,the more you willl suffer.
    It is not God who is smoke and mirrors,but ,it is you who is polluted by
    whatever it is that pulls you down.
    If you insist on going below ,how can you see the mountain top,and the clear view ?
    Avoid the smoke and mirror people,and the lifestyle,and read the words of the Nazerene in silence ,alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I can't be bothered reading this whole thread. this is on a par to a school argument in the 70s when I was told that if I got caught in a house fire with no way out I'd scream Jesus! Well, I'm Irish....and I might equally say Sh*te or Oh f*ck or Jaysus or even combine the latter two. But it wouldn't be a conversion!

That really was a moronic argument. Was it a teacher who said that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

we would not all be here in what is a wonderful world for those who have Grace,and given themselves up to his creative[and loving powers].
    The only creative powers are the ones that come up with this stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Avoid the smoke and mirror people
    Excellent advice!

Avoid the smoke and mirror people,and the lifestyle,and read the words of the Nazerene in silence ,alone.

PopeBenedictIncense.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

What an interesting prayer.
    Well it sounds as if you might 'want' a relationship with God ,but on your terms.
    Sounds as though you have not been able to do the one thing that might allow Him [it is always the masculine that initiates,so God is a He].
    And what is that ? Well it is arrogant for a start,and it also is destructive.
    God created a working Universe,and arrogance assumes that you have the right to take control.
    Lucifer did this.Being an Aquarian he was Given much knowledge,but he was not a creator.Left in his hands we would not all be here in what is a wonderful world for those who have Grace,and given themselves up to his creative[and loving powers].
    It is difficult if you have the habit of rebellion,of believing in your own power.But you cannot go very far with your own power,or knowledge.
    These powers are temporary ,and the more arrogant ,and defiant you are ,the more you willl suffer.
    It is not God who is smoke and mirrors,but ,it is you who is polluted by
    whatever it is that pulls you down.
    If you insist on going below ,how can you see the mountain top,and the clear view ?

How does one argue with this? It's like another language. This abject gibberish displays a level of delusion that needs not a rational response, but merely highlighting as an example of why sometimes debate just isn't possible. Debate requires at least some common ground - just some small postage stamp sized area of shared belief from which to build.

In this case, however, it would appear to be like trying to debate with a patient in a mental asylum who thinks that the pink alien he sees is the one who assassinated JFK.

And I think the only approach here would be similar: shake ones head in stunned disbelief and pity, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Naz_st wrote: »
    And I think the only approach here would be similar: shake ones head in stunned disbelief and pity, and move on.

Zombiethread!! Why won't it die. :mad:

• Advertisement

Both my brother and I failed all our exams once.
    It is a true sign of genius.
    We both went onto university.He is an Architect ,and I taught.
    Einstein was told around 15/16 that he would never make anything of himself .Told you ,a true sign of genius.
    As a teacher I found many souls who had suffered something awful in their lives ,and may be, because of my own experiences,I was able to help them.
    Three of my ex ' failed ' pupils went on to greater things, than any of the
    always successful ones.

Both my brother and I failed all our exams once.
    It is a true sign of genius.
    We both went onto university.He is an Architect ,and I taught.
    Einstein was told around 15/16 that he would never make anything of himself .Told you ,a true sign of genius.
    As a teacher I found many souls who had suffered something awful in their lives ,and may be, because of my own experiences,I was able to help them.
    Three of my ex ' failed ' pupils went on to greater things, than any of the
    always successful ones.

I actually agree with you here. Standardised exams only really test one thing: how good the person is at exams. It's a shame we funnel everybody through this one tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Ah, now in fairness that was because he was mitching off class to study physics.

Naz_st wrote: »
    How does one argue with this? It's like another language. This abject gibberish displays a level of delusion that needs not a rational response, but merely highlighting as an example of why sometimes debate just isn't possible. Debate requires at least some common ground - just some small postage stamp sized area of shared belief from which to build.

In this case, however, it would appear to be like trying to debate with a patient in a mental asylum who thinks that the pink alien he sees is the one who assassinated JFK.

I know that I have gone beyond what your little 'rational 'stunted
    mind can absorb,but this is a thread about believe in God ,and I was replying to a comment ,prayer by someone ,not you.
    You are a total and aggressive moron,but more than that you are deeply and profoundly ignorant,and no doubt a follower of Richard Dawkins.
    When the time comes he will be denounced .
    I will not stoop to even try to speak to you, being as I am ahead of you and your type,as well as most religious ,although as I have said before many of them know what is important [while being ignorant of details]
    However you are full of details ,but have not a clue about what is important.

The idea that one has to use language , to speak on your terms is typical of the
    the low level atheist. I do not insult atheists ,having been one myself ,and some will find their way back.But the permanent ones have something missing ,which makes them in the long term to be pitied.
    And don' t tell me Eeinstein was an atheist.
    He may not have been a 'book 'follower ,but he was no atheist.
    In fact he despised your type ,and so do I, oh ignorant one !
    You should educate your self you little learned man.

Oh did I stray onto the little atheists thread agian .
    Don't worry wont do it again .Might disturb your little certainties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

mind can absorb,but this is a thread about believe in God ,and I was replying to a comment ,prayer by someone ,not you.
    You are a total and aggressive moron,but more than that you are deeply and profoundly ignorant,and no doubt a follower of Richard Dawkins.
    I will not stoop to even try to speak to you, being as I am ahead of you and your type,as well as most religious ,although as I have said before many of them know what is important [while being ignorant of details]
    while you are full of details ,but have not a clue about what is important.

The idea that one has to use ,speak on your terms is typical of the
    the low level atheist.
    I do not insult atheists ,having been one myself ,and some will find their way back.But the permanent ones have something missing ,which makes them in the long term to be pitied.
    In fact he despised your type ,and so do I, oh ignorant one.

superiority.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

..Might disturb your little certainties.

Likewise... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

However you are full of details ,but have not a clue about what is important.

The idea that one has to use language , to speak on your terms is typical of the
    the low level atheist. I do not insult atheists ,having been one myself ,and some will find their way back.But the permanent ones have something missing ,which makes them in the long term to be pitied.
    In fact he despised your type ,and so do I, oh ignorant one !

<Insert nonchalant but witty dismissal of entire post here>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, that's me told. Can I go home now? That punctuation style is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] I have gone beyond what your little 'rational 'stunted mind can absorb [...] You are a total and aggressive moron, but more than that you are deeply and profoundly ignorant [...] I will not stoop to even try to speak to you, being as I am ahead of you and your type [...]

I do not insult atheists
    Really?

ItisintheSTARS is now spending a week on the sidelines to calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Is it a full moon this week or has someone given the forum address to religiousnutsRus.com again?! :eek::pac:

Advertisement