Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Nursing Course - Trinity or UCD?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My sister is filling in her CAO at the moment and really wants to do nursing in Dublin but can't decide whether to put Trinity or UCD first - I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions/experience of the general nursing degree in UCD versus Trinity? Advantages/disadvantages of either?? Or does it really make a difference?
    Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I hope she is not ruling out DCU as an option as I hear it is a very good school for nursing.

I know a few people in Trinity complain as they aren't on campus - they're on D'Olier Street in the old GAS building, so they are slightly away from it all.

That's really all I can offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dairygold

Thanks so much for your reply, I think she was going for UCD or Trinity as she has friends she wants to live with who will be living on the southside... but if anyone else has any recomendations RE DCU I will say it to her!
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Would she not put the area of nursing that interests her down first?
    General Trinity, General UCD, ID Trinity etc..

I would definitely put DCU down, it is on the northside but there are quite a few buses to it. Competition to get into nursing is too high to be leaving out any potential options.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I have a sister doing General Nursing in Trinity. When I asked her why she picked Trinity she said it was because Trinity is affiliated with St. James's hospital which many would regard to be probably the best "teaching hospital" in Ireland. Im sure many will disagree but as the saying goes, don't shoot the messenger :rolleyes:...hope that helps some-how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

I am in TCD...I recommend UCD.
    We do not get any alloowance for sick time and any time we miss during clinical placement must be made up after the term officially ends (July 12th this year) so your summer is effectively gone if you are unfortunate enough to break your leg!
    Plus our uniform is ****.....I'm sure that will not have a huge influence on your decision but it is nice to know:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

as a previous Grad of TCD, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I picked there initially purely because I thought having TCD on the CV if I ever ended up in the US would look better.

I know plenty of people who went to DCU and are great at the job. I don't think you can pick too much academically between them, but I do get the impression that DCU might be a bit more progressive.

As for the sick leave stuff, well tbh those sort of course hours requirements come mainly from ABA. There are minimum amounts of hours you have to complete in the practical setting, that why sick leave can't really be given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭allsaintssue

A certain amount of sick leave an be given and some courses do allow it but TCD requires 100% attendance on all supernumery placements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 al.spqr.84

Larianne wrote: »
    I hope she is not ruling out DCU as an option as I hear it is a very good school for nursing.

I know a few people in Trinity complain as they aren't on campus - they're on D'Olier Street in the old GAS building, so they are slightly away from it all.

That's really all I can offer!
    Monica>>??

:) hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Dr Galen wrote: »
    as a previous Grad of TCD, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. I picked there initially purely because I thought having TCD on the CV if I ever ended up in the US would look better.

I know plenty of people who went to DCU and are great at the job. I don't think you can pick too much academically between them, but I do get the impression that DCU might be a bit more progressive.

As for the sick leave stuff, well tbh those sort of course hours requirements come mainly from ABA. There are minimum amounts of hours you have to complete in the practical setting, that why sick leave can't really be given.

Would you mind expanding on this a bit? Is TCD nursing a bit old-fangled? Specifically looking at General Nursing in St James'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I did my general in the UK but I did my Midwifery in UCD and I'd really recommend it. The building is a new purpose built building, lovely rooms/lecture theatres, and the Clinical Skills Labs are fantastic. Great library too which is always a bonus!

I've no experience of Trinity or DCU, but a few of my friends trainded in RCSI. Might be worth consideration also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hattie

My sister did nursing in Trinity and hated it.... first of all you are not in the main campus but shoved over in Dolier street lectures are pretty much full time in the first year and worst of all the lecture hall is too small and you spend most of the day in the same lecture theatre... you have to sign in and out and while some subject ourses in nursing are relevant and important, some are just complete rubbish and for adult learners you could learn as much or more using a good reading list and self directed learning.. so ridiculous that you are required to attend.. as far as I can see this is to justify the salaries of existence of all those lecturers as much as it is for so called professionalism. Ultimately accountancy med and so on are also professions but you get there by passing exams not by being required to sit in an overcrowded lecture hall for 8 hours a day......as far as I know UCD/DCU are not as strict and rightly so.... You will learn the most from your experience on the wards but if it was me I would prefer UCD where you are part of the study body and can actualy move around in the day!

Advertisement