Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porcupine Tree

Options
  • 13-01-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Listening to this band a lot lately, they have played a lot of different genres including prog rock and prog metal.
    Anyone else heard of them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

I've got wiring loose inside my head, I've got book that I've never ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

Love that song, In Absentia is one of my favourite albums at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I like them alot. I've been listening to their newest one practically nonstop since I got it 3 weeks ago. Had a chance to have a listen to it CDH?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

Yeah it was the first one of their albums I got. Its a great album, it was so different from anything else I've listhened to.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    I've got wiring loose inside my head, I've got book that I've never ever read.
    I've got secrets in my garden shed, I've got a scar where all my urges bled...

Started listening to these guys about a month ago, really impressed me. Got In Absentia and Deadwing, both of which are excellent. I usually take awhile to get into a prog band, but after one or 2 listens I knew they were something special. Especially love the track Trains off of In Absentia :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

CDH wrote: »
    Listening to this band a lot lately, they have played a lot of different genres including prog rock and prog metal.
    Anyone else heard of them?

Very popular band on here. They have had many threads about them and no doubt will have many more. Unlike some bands though, I never tire of PT threads as it generally reminds me to pop on some of their stuff, or other Wilson related music, of which there is a hell of a lot.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Kess73 wrote: »
    Very popular band on here. They have had many threads about them and no doubt will have many more. Unlike some bands though, I never tire of PT threads as it generally reminds me to pop on some of their stuff, or other Wilson related music, of which there is a hell of a lot.:D

OPETH:eek:

Just to showcase what Wilsons song writing is like in a different setting.

I wouldn't have thought Wilson would have have written or produced for Opeth. they're so different, but still kinda similiar in that they are both kinda progresive. But when you think of who some of the other guys in PT(Gavin Harrison) have played with, its not that big a surprise.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LD 50 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought Wilson would have have written or produced for Opeth. they're so different, but still kinda similiar in that they are both kinda progresive. But when you think of who some of the other guys in PT(Gavin Harrison) have played with, its not that big a surprise.
    Mikael Åkerfeldt did vocals and guitars in the album Deadwing for Porcupine Tree too :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In my mind they are possibly the best band going. Top notch song-writing, drumming that makes my jaw drop every time I hear it(even if multiple times over), lyrics that I totally agree with(Fear of a Blank Planet for example, bar the PEarl Jam bad-mouthing). Have only few of their albums though, tend to download from their site more(€6 at most, got deadwing, In Absentia, the song Meantime which didn't mkae In Absentia). Deadwing is an absolute belter of an album.

First got into them in late 07/early 08, then got to see them at Pinkpop in 08. Wow, hearing Anaesthetize live in full was the moment it all changed and knew these were amazing. Kept listening, and loving more and more. Saw them in Hammersmith last October, what an experience. As I knew them more, could find it more enjoyable than first time, and by God, still remember every detail to this day. Gavin is without doubt my favourite drummer going, and seeing/hearing what he did that night...nobody will ctach him. Getting tickets for their October Royal Albert Hall show soon I should be.

What do people thik of The Incident? Received a lot of criticism in many circles. Myself, I enjoyed a lot of it, could see where people came from in criticising it. Then they played it all live on the tour. Things changed. Whoever saw it live can barely say a bad thing about it now. Whenever I put it on, its the live version in my head. Should come on dvd at some stage, prob RAH show. Also remember meeting Mikael in October after the Olympia show, talking to him bout these guys cos he had the viny version and everone else was star-struck:D.

So yeah, amazing band, something for everyone to enjoy. Heavy stuff that cripples every band, softer stuff that cripples every softer band, groovy stuff that cripples every groovy band...never ending....and I love it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can't really get into them.. Prog metal or rock was just a genre I couldn't listen to for extended periods of time.. There was a few differences, such as Opeth and Cynic, but for the most part, I just couldn't get into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I agree with the above. Also check out their album "Lightbulb Sun"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Porcupine tree is one of the best bands i know of. Since it hasent been mentioned already their older album Lightbulb Sun is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

In absentia, futile ep. deadwing, fear of a blank planet, all excellent albums.

the incident, not so much.

I'm sorry to say i've never seen them live, and even though i'd jump at the chance to see them, i think for me the best time to see them has passed, unless they drop a lot of incident material from future sets!

i have a lot of their "pre-heavy" albums but i've never got the chance to listen too them

i also have the all instrumental version of FOABP.

In absentia, futile ep. deadwing, fear of a blank planet, all excellent albums.

the incident, not so much.

I'm sorry to say i've never seen them live, and even though i'd jump at the chance to see them, i think for me the best time to see them has passed, unless they drop a lot of incident material from future sets!

i have a lot of their "pre-heavy" albums but i've never got the chance to listen too them

i also have the all instrumental version of FOABP.

Seeing all of the Incident live brings a whole new dimension to it. Works very well. The section of the tour I saw them on the first leg of the tour, setlist was:

Occam's Razor
    The Blind House
    Great Expectations
    Kneel and Disconnect
    Drawing the Line
    The Incident
    Your Unpleasant Family
    The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train
    Time Flies
    Degree Zero of Liberty
    Octane Twistedo
    The Séance
    Circle of Manias
    I Drive the Hearse

The Start of Something Beautiful
    Russia on Ice
    Anesthetize Pt. 2(Pills in Me)
    Lazarus
    Strip the Soul/.3
    Normal
    Bonnie the Cat
    The Sound of Muzak
    Trains

Sy ya end up with roughly 2-2.5 hours of material there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Only getting into them recently. I've listened to In Absentia and it's brilliant alright. Been meaning to look into some more of their stuff.

I had heard about them ages ago from Mike Akerfeldt talking about them but never gave them a go.

Must get Deadwing and give it a go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Wonder how long it will be till they play here again??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Love the band, only saw them live once, end of the FOABP tour in London, hoping to see them again at the Albert Hall in London later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Gridlock wrote: »
    Wonder how long it will be till they play here again??? :confused:

I think it was '01. couple of years before i discovered them. :( so its been a fair while already.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

I really like porcupine treee, really got into them with deadwing. Fear of a Blank Planet was awesome and i just got the incident the other day, still undecided on it.

Their Rhythm section is phenomenal.

Just got my hands on The Sky Moves Sideways. Speechless. An incredible piece of work that makes me wonder how a band like this isn't much bigger.

EDIT: Being listening to The Incident in full more and more again. Some sections in it should be contender for song of the year last year. Blind House, Octane Twisted in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Great band indeed. Saw them in the TBMC back some years ago, and again at the Download festival.

Great band indeed. Saw them in the TBMC back some years ago, and again at the Download festival.

One of the few so. How was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mushy wrote: »
    One of the few so. How was that?

Utterly brilliant. Met Steve Wilson and co afterwards, they were great chaps.

Krimson765 wrote:
    saw them recently in Tilburg,very enjoyable,excellent venue 013..Played the entire FOABP,Would have preferred to have heard just a few songs from it..but they did play some older songs like 'sever' and 'sleep of no dreaming' which was interesting.Gavin Harrison was terrific as always

fear of a blank planet
    my ashes
    anesthetise
    sentimental
    way out of here
    sleep together
    normal
    stars die
    what happens now
    wedding nails
    dark matter
    sever
    half light
    open car
    blackest eyes
    ----encore--
    sleep of no dreaming
    halo

DVD for this show is apparently coming in April. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pissed off I didn't see they were playing the Albert Hall til it was too late :-( ... c'mon announce more UK dates (or better still an Irish one !!!)

RayCon wrote: »
    Pissed off I didn't see they were playing the Albert Hall til it was too late :-( ... c'mon announce more UK dates (or better still an Irish one !!!)

Be happy to know some more went on sale. Going home now soon, gonna straight off get some.

Mate just got my tickets for this for me, and we're nearly sitting on the ****ing stage:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mushy wrote: »
    Mate just got my tickets for this for me, and we're nearly sitting on the ****ing stage:eek:

You're welcome....:D

Filmed in high definition and taken from two concerts given by Porcupine Tree at Tilburg, The Netherlands, at the end of the Fear of a Blank Planet tour in October 2008, this deluxe special edition includes a 130 minute concert film on both standard definition DVD and high definition Blu-Ray disc,

Additionally, the package includes two audio CDs of the entire live film soundtrack, alongside a bonus track not featured in the film.

Limited to 4,000 copies with a grey cover and 1,000 copies with a red cover, the special edition comes in a beautiful cloth bound hardback book featuring concert photography of the band taken over the last few years.

Live films are:

1. Way Our of Here (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)
    2. My Ashes (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)
    3. Wedding Nails (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)
    4. Strip the Soul / Dot Three (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)

And deluxe audio CDS are:

AUDIO CD 1

1 Intro (2.07)
    2. Fear of a Blank Planet (7.34)
    3. My Ashes (4.46)
    4. Anesthetize (17.20)
    5. Sentimental (5.18)
    6. Way Out of Here (7.47)
    7. Sleep Together (7.54)
    8. Prodigal (6.03)

AUDIO CD 2

1. What Happens Now? (8.09)
    2. Normal (7.13)
    3. Dark Matter (8.57)
    4. Drown With Me (5.21)
    5. Cheating the Polygraph (8.11)
    6. Half-Light (5.28)
    7. Sever (5.37)
    8. Wedding Nails (5.43)
    9. Strip the Soul / Dot Three (8.17)
    10. Sleep of No Dreaming (5.31)
    11. Halo (8.34)

There ye have the blurb bout the new dvd. Pre-order is live, but not announced yet. €60 for the red edition, €55 for grey version. Can get the standard release in May.

Prodigal will NOT appear on the dvd. Oh the temptation" Have splured a lot on PT in the last week (Come Divine, We Lost The Skyline, Futile EP, Arriving Somewhere dvd audio)...now to decide whether I'll get any of the Special editions.

• Advertisement

Here be the trailer! Just seriously gonna be amazing.

Advertisement