Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porcupine Tree

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dublin::eek: Meeting them rocked and was awesome!

Belfast: Got to queue at 7.30 expecting to walk in and be near back...as it turned out, we we're right up the very front, in arms reach of Steven when he moves away from the mic. Was great. Got Arriving Somewhere instead of Time Flies, which was immense. And then I got Gavins drumstick, and gf got Steve's pleck:D This is turning into a right good auld time!

GalwayRush, nice meeting ya. Glad ya enjoyed it and sorry didnt get to talk after. Ya had to be there, you said I should listen to them haha. And so the craze started! I pity any band who must follow in their footsteps in terms of my gig-going.

Some Pictures:

Shopping List Guy:
    67040_1581705895549_1022753294_1690208_7964851_n.jpg

No zoom:
    67714_1581706255558_1022753294_1690210_2501027_n.jpg

Speechless:p
    66988_1581706615567_1022753294_1690212_4209008_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How did Belfast compare to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

Right, so this is my first opportunity to sit at a computer since the PT gig in Dublin on Monday, so I'll give my brief synopsis of the night. I arrived in Tripod just as the support act was gathering their stuff and leaving the stage, having spent the evening downing Long Island Ice Teas in D2 (5euro each before 11pm). It was then apparent PT were going to be on at 9, giving plenty of time to swig a couple of pints and go for a smoke.

Having schooled myself on the PT discography and likely set list over the past while, it brought a smile to my face as they opened with Even Less. I thought it was a great opening song that sounded pretty crisp live, although I have to say I thought Steven's distinct accent that is unmistakable on their studio albums was less so in the acoustics of the live show in Tripod? So as Even Less quietened down midway through the song, my unknowledgeable friend took this as the end of the first tune and went in search for some narcotics to enhance his experience (strictly for himself as I no longer dabble in that sort of thing, I think he tried everyone in Tripod so if you were asked - thank you for your time :D).

Even Less over, I was now standing on my own in front of the bar expecting something special on the horizon. I knew Open Car was going to be played second or third and after a couple of stumbling starts to the second tune, yes there it was, sweet as fack. The rest of the night was spent belting out lyrics to the set list, mainly The Sound of Musak, Anesthetize and Blackest Eyes. I seemed to be the only one in my area who knew the lyrics/were drunk enough to sing along, which was a pity because it seemed Steven got a poor reaction when he gave the crowd the opportunity to sing alone to Lazarus, Sound of Musak and Blackest Eyes.

I took the time during songs off The Incident to order pints and get my nicotine hit, apart from Time Flies which I really like and it was cool to have the added element of images displayed behind the band on the big screen. I thought to myself at the end of the set, if they come back out and play ASBNH I'll have had the perfect PT experience, but alas, no dice. Trains was a pleasant surprise though and it was a suitable encore to the nights listening pleasure. Steven’s personality was great on stage. I don’t really remember the details of Gavin’s magic trick, except that it was really corny and quite amusing :D.

I kept an eye out for any recognizable R&M boardies (only know a couple from pics and descriptions scattered around the forums), but I was surprised at how packed it was and didn't come across any. Although, if you know/were a part of the face painted group we drank double Jager and Redbull into the wee hours with in the Crawdaddy, send me a pm or something. I missed returning to college in Cork the following day, but hey it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Absolutely gutted I missed this gig. :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    How did Belfast compare to Dublin?

Well there were no technical hiccups, and got ASBNH, and was front row so I'd prefer it over Dublin. But this band are at a stage where performances are so solid that differences in show don't occur too much.

This leads me on to Royal Albert Hall:eek: Our seats were right on the stage, behind Barbieri, so had great cross-section of stage. Ended up watching Gavin for 2hrs+, as could see everything, even his bass drum methods cos of gap:D Setlist was brilliant. Obviously fairly similar to normal shows, but with added extras, personal favourite being Idiot Prayer/Up the Downstair (I swear it was Idiot Payer, but have now heard differently)! Either way, was brilliant all over.

Despite this review: http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/161908/9

Doesn't have a clue bout the build up to the gig:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Came across this on youtube - brought back some good memories :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Porcupine Tree took an awfully long time to grow on me, but one day, one of their songs came up on shuffle, and my mind was blown, something just clicked. My favourite album would probably have to be In Absentia, favourite song would be Time Flies, Blackest Eyes, or Mute (I don't know what it is about Mute but I find it to be an amazing song).

Ok while it isn't strictly Porcupine Tree news, it is all linked in.

I will start by saying Steven Wilson is some form of musical freak, in the best possible way. He has just come off a hugely successful PT tour after their most successful album. This album has earned them a Grammy nomination. So, as you would expect, he should be taking some rest. Not in the slightest.

The start of the year see's his new album with Aviv Geffen under the Blackfield moniker. 'Here Is My DNA' arrives in March. Got the live album the other day without knowing much stuff....suffice to say I'm hooked. This album release is accompanied by touring duties.

His next port of call will be his second solo outing, following on from Insurgents. Not as much details on this, other than it'll be out in September, with a probable smaller minimal tour.

His last release of the year (3 isn't too shabby) is his work with Mikael Akerfeldt. Storm Corrosion arrives in December, which will undoubtedly be critically assessed by every fan of PT and Opeth (the same people then). Apparently it'll have no metal, lot more strings and lyrics. Unlike anything they've done they say, but they just leading us away from what everyone expects. Touring....lets hope!

On top of this, Steven is mastering the new Opeth album:eek: Busy busy man (read genius). Looking forward to all of these. Pity Blackfield wont hit these shores, and is touring in April. Too short notice for me to e able to pop across the water for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Yeah Steven Wilson is a complete workaholic. He can't seem to sit still.

I can't wait for Storm Corrosion as I'm a huge fan of PT and Opeth (In fact Steve and Mike are both two of my biggest inspirations). If they did a tour it would be f*ckin unreal :eek:
    All though one thing I am afraid of is Mike licking up to Steve and just going along with whatever he starts writing. I know they're mates now, but originally Mike was just a PT fan. I guess I'm just afraid it will come across with too much Steve and hardly any Mike (Blackfield in my opinion has a heavy Steve Wilson sound/feel to it.

I didn't know he was going to be mastering Opeth's new album, but I'm not really surprised seen as he has been involved with them for a long time.

As for Blackfield, I've only listened to bits and pieces, which I have liked, but still have to properly sit down and listen to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Makes for a good year :D

I have Blackfield 1 and Insurgents, both good albums, though can't get into them the sae degree as Porcupine tree stuff. Regardless, can't wait to hear what they come out with.

Really excited about Storm Corrosion, not as much into Opeth as PT, but Mike is a fantastic songwriter so be interesting to see what they come up with together.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

I really like Blackfield II, Blackfield I – not so much.

I think there may be an unavoidable correlation in the following song title, but this is one of my favourite songs off Blackfield II which is the only studio version available on YouTube, and by pure coincidence, it's set to excerpts from a favourite film of mine.

I'm glad to hear there's a new Blackfield album in the post; I find their stuff is really easy listening.

Advertisement