Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounced cheque

Options
  • 13-01-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I own a shop, and I cashed a cheque for a "friend" in late August for €400. The cheque bounced, and after call and texts, he promised me he would come in to pay. He didn't do this, and I was wondering was there any way I could force him legally to pay up. If he had approached me and said he couldn't afford the entire amount in one go, I would be happy to put some of payment plan together. Help Please !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Dont know what legal rights you would have. keep the pressure on etc - but bear in mind that cheques are out of date after 6 months !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

1966 wrote: »
    Dont know what legal rights you would have. keep the pressure on etc - but bear in mind that cheques are out of date after 6 months !

The cheque has been presented and bounced so would not be applicable here.

It is illegal to write a cheque knowing it would bounce. Small claims court would probably be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It is illegal to write a chq knowing you've no funds but good luck trying to in force that.

If they will not pay then keep lodging the chq. They'll get charged a fee everytime it has to bounce. Do this and the fees will start adding up and he may just decide to give you something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Lesson learned OP. Never cash a chq for anyone!

Not sure what recourse you have. I doubt you could go to the small claims court as AFAIK its for a consumer not a business per se.

If he's a "friend" then I'd hope he would come to some sort of repayment agreement.

Advertisement