Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposition parties . . All hot air . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Time will tell . . I don't believe the mess needs to be resolved for FF to regain their electability. Memories are short in politics and most voters only care about whats in it for them in the future. . . If FF are able to demonstrate that they have steadied the ship they will recover.

You are probably right about a Green / FG / Lab government but I stand by my position . . there seems to be no concerted effort on the part of Gilmore and Kenny to work together to bring down the government. . . They may regret missed opportunities in the future. .

Sadly you may have a point going on previous elections and how the electorate of this country behave.
    It is staggering how bertie, a man who couldn't explain why he had wads of cash, why he didn't have a bank acocunt, who had recieved bags of cash as digout from businessmen was and even worse still lauded as some great man.
    Even worse the likes of flynn, lowry are re-elected. :mad:

But hopefully things might be bit different in the future. :o
    ff through inheritance (from their own previous and opposition governments) had a very healthy economy upto 2001, they managed through luck of the cheap credit boom to make it look to some as if we had created an even better economy from 2002 to 2007.
    But that was all a facade built on cheap crumbling concrete and imported glass fuelled by imported credit.

Now the best thing that ever happened to the opposition was ff winning last election, because the same ff that supposedly brought the largese to the easily deluded voters is now bringing the savage cuts, the poverty and the hopelessness.

For once ff are having to try and clean up the mess.
    And boy did they create a mess, not alone did they base the public spending on the lobsided unsustainable economy they created but they allowed our entire banking system go down the pan and to save it they tied the bloody banks to the stern of the lifeboat.

Imagine a Martyn Turner cartoon where the taxpayers are rowing a lifeboat like bejaysus with a line off the stern tied to the sinking titanic.
    To me that sums up bank guarantee, recapitalisation and NAMA.

IMHO the teens (2010 to 2019) are going to be like the 80s with a few big differences.
    The Irish people have sampled the trapping of wealth and it is even harder to be without what you have already experienced.
    To now be able to have something you never had is not so bad, but to lose all the fineries you were used to is pretty hard.
    A lot of our youth never experienced the bad ould days of emigration, no money in their pockets for foreign holidays, for weekends away, for weekends on the booze and for fancy cars.
    A lot of these see ff to blame for wasting the wealth, for allowing the their building and banking buddies get and remain rich, all the while they are back on the dole at their mammies trying to find somewhere to emigrate to.

Even worse the middle class are the ones sadled with the bank debts, the public sector was over inflated and so long cossetted that they can't see there is no money and are feeling very vindictive.

All in all, it should make for an electorate that should shun ff for decades.

But, even though you might not admire the guy Kenny wisely pointed out, you never know with the electorate.
    That should have addendum about it being the electorate in dear old Ireland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

On your first point yes it is a matter of opinion. Could we get your opinion on whether Roddy Molloy should have been allowed to stay on at FAS to right the wrongs of his complete mismanagement, or whether Patrick Neary having failed as Finacial Regulator should have been allowed continue in the job to 'fulfill his obligations?? You are entitled to your opinion but you are a hypocrite if you only apply it to FF's mismanagement.

You might wait for my opinion before you brand me a hypocrite ! Look, as I've stated clearly on lots of other threads I am a member of the Fianna Fail party but that does not mean that I stand by and agree with everything the party has done while in government. There are many within the party who want to see change and its a valid position to criticise elements of what went on over the last 10 years while still supporting the party. For what its worth, I agree with your position on Neary and Molloy.
    On the second point of the opposition doing more to bring about change (someone else described this as taking advantage), what exactly could they have done?? When the opposition move on issues they are accused of 'political point-scoring'. They tabled a motion of no confidence. You complain that 'Kenny didn't exactly push hard to destabilise the government during the JO'D affair' but when Gilmore called for his resignation he was criticised for not giving the man an opportunity to defend himself. So short of planning a coup the opposition can merely point out government ineptitide (which is obvious anywhere you look) and hope that it sparks the electorate into action (i.e. marches, protests). I'd be more worried about the Irish voters and their inability to exclain ' ENOUGH IS ENOUGH' rather than the opposition not having a complete roadmap from 'rags to riches'.

The first thing Kenny and Gilmore could do if they were serious about bringing down the government is to begin to talk to each other and work together. After all, these guys expect us to accept them as Taoiseach and Tanaiste in waiting . . . They could begin to demonstrate that theirs is a viable working partnership. . . One would imagine they would be even more focused on that post-2007 when the Irish electorate rejected a FG-Lab government.

jmayo wrote: »

All in all, it should make for an electorate that should shun ff for decades.

It might do but I doubt it . . and, I think with good reason. The reason I say that is because a stranger reading these boards might imagine that FF were running some quasi-dictatorship in Ireland for the last 15-odd years.

The reality is very different. The FF government were endorsed by the electorate three times running because the people liked what they were doing and continually renewed their mandate. Not because they couldn't see the bubble bursting but because the country as a whole went nuts. . . We* all wanted bigger houses, bigger cars, more foreign holidays. . we drank from the cup, we enjoyed it and we have to share collective responsibility for why we are where we are now. If FF hadn't kept our cups overflowing we would have elected an alternative government that would have !

*We = the collective 'we' . . not everyone . . several posters have moved to distance themselves from involvement in the Irish 'hysteria' when I have posted this view on other threads and I fully accept that not everyone went nuts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

It might do but I doubt it . . and, I think with good reason. The reason I say that is because a stranger reading these boards might imagine that FF were running some quasi-dictatorship in Ireland for the last 15-odd years.

The reality is very different. The FF government were endorsed by the electorate three times running because the people liked what they were doing and continually renewed their mandate. Not because they couldn't see the bubble bursting but because the country as a whole went nuts. . . We* all wanted bigger houses, bigger cars, more foreign holidays. . we drank from the cup, we enjoyed it and we have to share collective responsibility for why we are where we are now. If FF hadn't kept our cups overflowing we would have elected an alternative government that would have !

*We = the collective 'we' . . not everyone . . several posters have moved to distance themselves from involvement in the Irish 'hysteria' when I have posted this view on other threads and I fully accept that not everyone went nuts :)

So, you effectively call the nation selfish and greedy, and believe that it morally validates FF's decisions to hand it to the peiople as "If FF hadn't kept our cups overflowing we would have elected an alternative government that would have ". You are deeming FF to be a completely populist party who will brankrupt a nation if it means they give the people what they want.

Het-Field wrote: »
    So, you effectively call the nation selfish and greedy, and believe that it morally validates FF's decisions to hand it to the peiople as "If FF hadn't kept our cups overflowing we would have elected an alternative government that would have ". You are deeming FF to be a completely populist party who will brankrupt a nation if it means they give the people what they want.

No, I am saying that it is not OK for the people who created the situation (the collective) to stand back, absolve themselves of all responsibility and banish Fianna Fail for being the party in government (that they elected) at the time.

I believe the people get what they want eventually . . that's what democracy is about. The government will represent the will of the people !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

No, I am saying that it is not OK for the people who created the situation (the collective) to stand back, absolve themselves of all responsibility and banish Fianna Fail for being the party in government (that they elected) at the time.

I believe the people get what they want eventually . . that's what democracy is about. The government will represent the will of the people !

Am I to extrapolate for that is the FG/LAB would have bought into the property bubble, because the people wanted the extra money ?

Its an appalling indictment that you seek to mitigate Governmental incompetence by citing the fact that FF were just carrying out orders. The fact that many of the Nazis were simply carrying out orders doesnt mitigate the atrocity of what they "achieved". (I am in NO way trying to draw a parallel between the two parties, im simply pointing out a fatal flaw in your argument)

Leadership entails taking the bull by the horns, and ensuring that those who cannot lead themselves, or are incapbale of personal leadership, are given adequate guidance. Using the lack of economic nous of the public to create a banking and construction crisis, and then seeking to blame these idiots is crazy. Had the FF led government been engagin with regulator, or were not so obsessed with the short term lucrative nature of the construction industry to call the regulator out on his ignorance of Irish banking practices.

Should the Government blindly carry out the will of the public, even if the public will is to the long term detriment of the nation ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Am I to extrapolate for that is the FG/LAB would have bought into the property bubble, because the people wanted the extra money ?

Its an appalling indictment that you seek to mitigate Governmental incompetence by citing the fact that FF were just carrying out orders. The fact that many of the Nazis were simply carrying out orders doesnt mitigate the atrocity of what they "achieved".

Leadership entails taking the bull by the horns, and ensuring that those who cannot lead themselves, or are incapbale of personal leadership, are given adequate guidance. Using the lack of economic nous of the public to create a banking and construction crisis, and then seeking to blame these idiots is crazy. Had the FF led government been engagin with regulator, or were not so obsessed with the short term lucrative nature of the construction industry to call the regulator out on his ignorance of Irish banking practices.

Should the Government blindly carry out the will of the public, even if the public will is to the long term detriment of the nation ??????

I agree and disagee with different parts ..

I agree there is certainly responsibility on the part of the government in the scandal that has befallen the country . . I also think they have an awful lot to answer for (and wont be happy until heads roll!).

Your assumption that FG/Labour would'nt of gone along with the Bubble is about as presumptuous as assuming that they would . . .

That aside, what role do you think the public should play in this opera ?

You see, everybody knows the role government played in our downfall, but the pink elephant in the room is that while the financial stability of the country was being underpinned by the bubble, nobody did anything about it . .

In truth, the people of this country are just as much to blame for the state of the country as the government . . To try to pin all the problems on the country is like investing all your life savings in a Bond with a very reputable company , not asking any questions for years and then wondering why it all went belly up . .

I think we will end up in groundhog decades until we grow up as a nation and start voting in MORE credible, strong & intelligent candidates . . Seriously, some of the T.D's we have, I wouldnt trust them to clean my toilet . .

And for those who say the opposition havent gotten their chance in power yet . . Seriously . . They have failed miserably as opposition party's, how in anyway does that make them credible leaders of the country ?

We have seen what FF do when allowed to get into the JOD comfort Zone, but why does that mean that the opposition we have at the moment deserve a chance in power ? They have not inspired me at all in opposition . .

I suppose the questions I would ask (which is what everybody should ask before every election) is -
    • What qualities/skills are they bringing to the table ?
    • What are their major achievements in opposition ?
    • What has been their consistent stance on vitally important area's of government that would of benefited us in the long term (not what did they say they would of done after something bad already happened!) . .
    • Why did they fail to make inroads into FF (to a significant degree) in the last elections ?
    • Why couldnt they help us see the ill's of our decision in letting FF have the keys to the ferrari for too long ?
    Considering the opposition were constantly berating the FF led government for "not spending enough" during the boom, its hardly a foregone conclusion to assume that they wouldnt of gotten caught up in the Boom excitement . .

Still think there are alot of question marks over the opposition party (like there always is in people who havent had power). . However, the biggest sin would be to accept that they are better then FF because we are so pissed off with the existing government . . Its like getting let down horribly by your longterm girlfriend and meeting somebody on the rebound who is the opposite to your "ex" and assuming its great because "they are everything she isnt" . .

What you want is to make a choice for the right party/candidate for the right reasons. Otherwise in many cases we will get completely stupid/ludicrous people getting into the Dail at the expense of better candidates . . That just doesn't make sense to anybody remotely intelligent . .

Disclaimer . . I am not promoting people to vote for FF . . I am simply asking people to take responsibility for their vote and to vote sensibly as opposed to voting in anger . .

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Anger is one letter short of danger . . [/FONT][FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing. . . I could go on , point made I think . .
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Drumpot wrote: »
    However, the biggest sin would be to accept that they are better then FF because we are so pissed off with the existing government . . Its like getting let down horribly by your longterm girlfriend and meeting somebody on the rebound who is the opposite to your "ex" and assuming its great because "they are everything she isnt" . .

I really like this analogy, mainly because I can turn it around to better suit my argument :) I think its far worse to lose trust in all girls because of a terrible ex. And what is worse still is knowing now what your ex has done, and knowing there are alternatives out there, knowing all this and still going back to your ex is idiotic and masocistic. Trust underlies both situations. FF have betrayed our trust, yes we may get our hearts broken again by other girls but its far more silly to go back to the one who has a track record as a heart breaker.

You might wait for my opinion before you brand me a hypocrite ! Look, as I've stated clearly on lots of other threads I am a member of the Fianna Fail party but that does not mean that I stand by and agree with everything the party has done while in government. There are many within the party who want to see change and its a valid position to criticise elements of what went on over the last 10 years while still supporting the party. For what its worth, I agree with your position on Neary and Molloy.

Sorry if you look at my original post and note the word 'if' i quite clearly left it open to you to decide if you were a hypocrite. You believe Neary and Molloy should have gone for their mismanagement but you insist FF should be allowed stay on to 'satisfy their obligations'.

Regarding your position to continue to support FF, where do you draw the line? What would they have to do to lose your support? What did they do in the first place to gain such unyielding support? When do the bad points outweigh the good cos you will find some people who will argue that Hitler did a lot of good things. I'm not trying to make any comparisons here but do you see my point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Considering the opposition were constantly berating the FF led government for "not spending enough" during the boom, its hardly a foregone conclusion to assume that they wouldnt of gotten caught up in the Boom excitement . .

I think you'll find it was allocation, not quantity; invest in education, reassign spending in health and make housing affordable. FF were not spending enough in the right places.
    One example would be the Horse racing industry...a lot of care given to it with the argument that it employed a lot of people, fair point to some extent, but it seemed to hold more government popularity than supporting education for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

In fairness if the economy seems to be going great and the government is telling you it's all good, of course your average punter would believe them and vote for them. Hopefully anyone in the future found believing a FF government will be seen as suffering a form of 'Hysteria' by the public at large.
    I don't understand anyone’s loyalty to that party. Why would anyone stick with a party through thick or thin? Is it a matter of misguided honour or loyalty, if so for what? It's politics. It's near impossible to cement yourself to voting for the same party for every election for your entire life, especially that party of crooks. They have a criminal history, foundation, to present day of successive ministers lining their pockets. Makes no sense. Anything good or positive they have every done dwarfs in comparison to all their misdeeds.
    Honestly, I assume anyone I meet connected to Fianna Fail is less than trustworthy. It's the impression the party gives off.

Sorry if you look at my original post and note the word 'if' i quite clearly left it open to you to decide if you were a hypocrite. You believe Neary and Molloy should have gone for their mismanagement but you insist FF should be allowed stay on to 'satisfy their obligations'.

Regarding your position to continue to support FF, where do you draw the line? What would they have to do to lose your support? What did they do in the first place to gain such unyielding support? When do the bad points outweigh the good cos you will find some people who will argue that Hitler did a lot of good things. I'm not trying to make any comparisons here but do you see my point?

No, I don't see your point. This is the second post in this thread that draws a Nazi/Hitler analogy. And following up your comment with "I'm not making any comparisons" doesn't negate the comparison you just made. . You are comparing my ongoing support of Fianna Fail to Nazi Germany's ongoing support of a fascist dictator responsible for the killing of 6 million jews. . I find your comparison pretty offensive!

Again I find myself in a position where I have to defend my party position because the anti-FF people on here do not believe it is a valid position to support Fianna Fail ! I am not from a FF party background. I have only been a member of FF for about 5 years. I recognise the problems of the past within FF and within the government but I continue to support them because I believe they are the party best positioned and best skilled to lead us out of this economic mess and I believe that the problems of the past can only be changed from within the party. . . In addition I see no credible alternative at the moment and I believe one ought to support a political party. . . it is very easy to sit on the fence and churn out the "All politicians are w**kers" line.

I really like this analogy, mainly because I can turn it around to better suit my argument :) I think its far worse to lose trust in all girls because of a terrible ex. And what is worse still is knowing now what your ex has done, and knowing there are alternatives out there, knowing all this and still going back to your ex is idiotic and masocistic. Trust underlies both situations. FF have betrayed our trust, yes we may get our hearts broken again by other girls but its far more silly to go back to the one who has a track record as a heart breaker.

But I am not defending FF ,I am attacking the entire culture of politics within the country. . In essence, there's different girls to choose but they are all cut from the same cloth.

One small example . . . Are the opposition any better with regards to the expenses scandal ? They certainly waited until the very last minute before finally demanding JOD's head (and even at that it was with great reluctance) . . There is alot of evidence to support that they didnt believe JOD should resign anymore then FF (as he was "entitled" to it!).

The government of any country will generally follow the mandate that's most important to its people. I am not saying that to take responsibility of actions from FF, but its just a fact of democratically elected governments . . In an earlier debate it was established that Scandinavian politics is the least corrupt in the world because "the people of these countries demand morally sound leaders and vote with their feet". You will not see the Irish People do this. Hell JOD will get back in which says more on the point then anything . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

James reilly impressed me a few months back ,when he came out with lowering the cost of vaccines.
    Low and behold ,mary harney comes out with it last week:rolleyes:

I really think once fine gael get into government ,things will start to change immediately. People will have an interest in making things better.

Along with vaccines ,maybe we could abolish taxing donated hospital machinery and start taxing tax dodgers ,that are no longer in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Glad you put in the disclimaer at the bottom because like a good few posters around here I did not endorse ff, I never have and probably never will as long as they allow liars (perjurors), theives and tax cheats be prominent members.

The government's job is to run the country, they are caretakers of the country, it is their job to make sure the country firstly at least isn't bankrupted through short term policies and secondly that society improves for all in the long term.
    That of course would be the ideal.
    ff did everything in their power to improve the lot of certain supporting vested interest groups: the developers, builders, bankers, public sector through the public sector dominated unions much vuanted benchmarking.
    All of these were the primary beneficaries.
    And the rest of us paid through the high costs of goods and services in order to make the above richer in some way.
    Look at how ff allowed property investment and thus pushed up average cost of house for FTBs.

Yes most of us got higher wages, but for lots the quality of life did not improve what with longer commutte times, higher cost of childcare, higher cost of housing even when in the ar***** of nowhere.

It is being very presumptious to say the alternative government would be no better.
    It is a common red herring flung out by ff in order to justify their own incompetence and greed.
    We just don't know what the opposition would be like, but it is doubtful they would be half as bad as ff and their hangers on.
    At least some of the opposition parties members were highlighting the wastage, the dodgy tax breaks for property specualtion, the tax breaks for developers, etc.

ff pandered to everyone and anyone that would ensure they continued in power and they organised it so that their supporters could get even richer.
    That is not running the country, that is not true government.
    That is Zanu type politics, using the resources of the country to further your own and your supporters power and wealth.

Their total inability to govern has now been shown in how inadeqautely they deal with even the smallest of difficulties now that they no longer have wads of cash to throw at the problems.

Its an appalling indictment that you seek to mitigate Governmental incompetence by citing the fact that FF were just carrying out orders. The fact that many of the Nazis were simply carrying out orders doesnt mitigate the atrocity of what they "achieved". (I am in NO way trying to draw a parallel between the two parties, im simply pointing out a fatal flaw in your argument)

ff ala bertie only cared how they could be elected next time.
    They never had any long term plans bar how to achieve power at the next poll.
    Hence mcgreevey was gotten rid of after 2004 local and European elections and clowen put in his place.
    I agree and disagee with different parts ..

I agree there is certainly responsibility on the part of the government in the scandal that has befallen the country . . I also think they have an awful lot to answer for (and wont be happy until heads roll!).

Your assumption that FG/Labour would'nt of gone along with the Bubble is about as presumptuous as assuming that they would . . .

That aside, what role do you think the public should play in this opera ?

You see, everybody knows the role government played in our downfall, but the pink elephant in the room is that while the financial stability of the country was being underpinned by the bubble, nobody did anything about it . .

In truth, the people of this country are just as much to blame for the state of the country as the government . . To try to pin all the problems on the country is like investing all your life savings in a Bond with a very reputable company , not asking any questions for years and then wondering why it all went belly up . .

I think we will end up in groundhog decades until we grow up as a nation and start voting in MORE credible, strong & intelligent candidates . . Seriously, some of the T.D's we have, I wouldnt trust them to clean my toilet . .

And for those who say the opposition havent gotten their chance in power yet . . Seriously . . They have failed miserably as opposition party's, how in anyway does that make them credible leaders of the country ?

We have seen what FF do when allowed to get into the JOD comfort Zone, but why does that mean that the opposition we have at the moment deserve a chance in power ? They have not inspired me at all in opposition . .

I suppose the questions I would ask (which is what everybody should ask before every election) is -
    • What qualities/skills are they bringing to the table ?
    • What are their major achievements in opposition ?
    • What has been their consistent stance on vitally important area's of government that would of benefited us in the long term (not what did they say they would of done after something bad already happened!) . .
    • Why did they fail to make inroads into FF (to a significant degree) in the last elections ?
    • Why couldnt they help us see the ill's of our decision in letting FF have the keys to the ferrari for too long ?

Still think there are alot of question marks over the opposition party (like there always is in people who havent had power). . However, the biggest sin would be to accept that they are better then FF because we are so pissed off with the existing government . . Its like getting let down horribly by your longterm girlfriend and meeting somebody on the rebound who is the opposite to your "ex" and assuming its great because "they are everything she isnt" . .

What you want is to make a choice for the right party/candidate for the right reasons. Otherwise in many cases we will get completely stupid/ludicrous people getting into the Dail at the expense of better candidates . . That just doesn't make sense to anybody remotely intelligent . .

Disclaimer . . I am not promoting people to vote for FF . . I am simply asking people to take responsibility for their vote and to vote sensibly as opposed to voting in anger . .

If you do look back, the opposition may have been at ff for not spending enough money, but often you will find they were looking for it to be spent in certain areas and for the grand ego projects and wastage to be wiped out.

The more you claim you are not trying to get people to vote ff the more your arguments appear to be exactly doing that.
    I just love it when people berate the opposition for not doing enough in warning them.
    In this posters ar right that a lot of the Irish people did not want to know, they were all doing all right jack so bog off mentality.
    When they hammered bertie on his personal finances they were hit in the polls so they then stopped as it was hurting them more than him.
    Go figure :rolleyes:

FFS vote sensibly as opposed to vote in anger.
    What the f*** is that supposed to mean ?
    Either way you would not vote for ff and it's incompetent arrogant wasters.

FG, and Kenny in particular, might not be viewed as brilliant, but have they sunk the country, have they used the country as their own private feed trough to get their friends rich ?
    No they haven't and as opposed to what so called objective posters and ff supporters claim, they have brought counter proposals to the table about how things should be run.
    One huge initiative is their health proposal, another is about setting up state bank (ala the old ACC and ICC banks) to invest in private business and enterprise, rather than waiting on the private banks to decide to bother lending again (after they get even more recapitalisation).

What are ff proposals on this, ah shure we will continue as we are and shure everything will work out when the prices of property go back up and the US economy takes off. :rolleyes:

Yet they berate FG and indeed Labour for not having all the answers.
    FFS ff and their fellow travellers have no bloody answers at all and they have the entire appartus of the state at their disposal.
    Then again the Dept of Finance aren't very good at budgeting, the CB couldn't spot bank over lending not having enough capital and IFSRA probably couldn't even see anything wrong with Bernie Maddoff's ponzi scheme even after he was found guilty.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

One huge initiative is their health proposal, another is about setting up state bank (ala the old ACC and ICC banks) to invest in private business and enterprise, rather than waiting on the private banks to decide to bother lending again (after they get even more recapitalisation).

What are ff proposals on this, ah shure we will continue as we are and shure everything will work out when the prices of property go back up and the US economy takes off. :rolleyes:

With regards to fianna fail and mary harney , is her status as a PD preventing people from blaming fianna fail on the healtcare system?

A new government ,accountable for all aspects of running the country ,would do a better job.

No, I don't see your point. This is the second post in this thread that draws a Nazi/Hitler analogy. And following up your comment with "I'm not making any comparisons" doesn't negate the comparison you just made. . You are comparing my ongoing support of Fianna Fail to Nazi Germany's ongoing support of a fascist dictator responsible for the killing of 6 million jews. . I find your comparison pretty offensive!

Again I find myself in a position where I have to defend my party position because the anti-FF people on here do not believe it is a valid position to support Fianna Fail ! I am not from a FF party background. I have only been a member of FF for about 5 years. I recognise the problems of the past within FF and within the government but I continue to support them because I believe they are the party best positioned and best skilled to lead us out of this economic mess and I believe that the problems of the past can only be changed from within the party. . . In addition I see no credible alternative at the moment and I believe one ought to support a political party. . . it is very easy to sit on the fence and churn out the "All politicians are w**kers" line.

Firstly the comment was not intended to offend. I was merely pointing out that its not that its not ok to gloss over the bad things and just focus on the good things. I gave an extreme example of that mentality. It was not a comparison. A 'less offensive' example would be saying its like focusing on the lovely bread in a sh1t sandwich.

Dont think for one second that I wont treat the opposition with the same contempt if they make similar mistakes and show signs of corruption. I'm not saying i'll never vote for FF in the future, I think its commendable that there are people like you trying to change the party from the inside. But until it has changed I wont be voting for a party that has questions over some of its members integrity. I can see the bad things in the opposition, they just dont outweigh the good at the moment.

But, like Drumpot I am concerned about the overall quality of our representatives. I thought all parties were terribly slow re reducing their pay and tackling expenses. I want high standards across the board, I just see it getting there incrementally

The reason i may seem frustrated and exercised about this and i give the odd extreme example is because i do blame the electorate. I blame the people who supported FF and gave them a mandate. And what depresses me more than the government is those who support them. Like Drumpot said, JO'D will probably be reelected. Thats a sad indictment of our electorate. If people keep voting for clowns we get left with a circus so thats why the focus of a lot of my points is on the continuing support for FF. If George Lee creamed the system if and when he gets into government, he would never get my vote again, despite all the good he might do (and for the fact he doesn't run in my constituency :) )

Was Enda Kenny not the first politican (bar maybe Joe Higgins or some such) who actually came out and said he was taking a voluntary paycut.
    What was accused of, oh yes pulling PR stunts :rolleyes:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/kenny-reverses-his-5pc-pay-cut-2018643.html

At least FF wait until they are in power to start welching on promises . . :eek:

Still think it was Kenny taking a stand for his principles ? ? ?

The main point I have been making is change the way people are looking for it will only mean differant party, same self interested culture . .

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kenny-has-to-take-the-lead-for-fg-on-pay-cut-1975107.html

If they thought for a second that they were going to have to work hard for to be the next government they wouldnt dare do this . . This is what we can expect if we dont demand more from our politicians . . For the people who struggle to understand my point, Im not excusing FF in anyway, I am saying the electorate are simply asking for trouble by letting the opposition believe its a cakewalk to power . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I am simply asking people to take responsibility for their vote and to vote sensibly as opposed to voting in anger . .

Would you care to explain the difference between these ?

If someone votes against "in anger" at the damage that FF have done, then they'll vote against them.

If someone steps back, looks objectively at the damage that they've done and how they've bailed out their buddies and shafted the rest of us, and lined their own pockets, then they can easily draw the same conclusion and action.

If someone simply decides not to reward incompetence and corruption, they'll vote against FF too.

So the whole "vote sensibly" does apply, but the anger is an irrlevant red herring, and if anything it should help those of us who simply want to see a better Ireland, because it would counteract the blinkered (or beneficiary) core FF vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

If you accept that ' not everyone' went nuts, then stop using the collective ' we'.
    FF got approx 43% of the vote in 2007 ... clearly the majority of irish people did not vote for FF's Greed is Good' mantra. Nor were the majority of Irish people in a position to analyse and digest whatever economic information was in the public areana and FF were certainly not honest about the economic realities. At the previous election , it was proven that FF had not admitted about cut backs before the election.

anymore wrote: »
    If you accept that ' not everyone' went nuts, then stop using the collective ' we'.
    FF got approx 43% of the vote in 2007 ... clearly the majority of irish people did not vote for FF's Greed is Good' mantra. Nor were the majority of Irish people in a position to analyse and digest whatever economic information was in the public areana and FF were certainly not honest about the economic realities. At the previous election , it was proven that FF had not admitted about cut backs before the election.

It's perfectly valid to use the collective 'we' . . . particularly as I continue to clarify what I mean by the term 'collective' . . FF were returned to government throughout the Celtic Tiger Years because the collective people in Ireland enjoyed the higher standards of living that we were enjoying . . .

It is time we started to realise that the government are representatives of the people. If the government take responsibility, so too should the people who elected them.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Would you care to explain the difference between these ?

I see the difference as voting based on the past rather than voting for the future. Regardless of your opinion about what happened in the past we all have a responsibility to vote for the party best positioned to take us into the future.

It's perfectly valid to use the collective 'we' . . . particularly as I continue to clarify what I mean by the term 'collective' . . FF were returned to government throughout the Celtic Tiger Years because the collective people in Ireland enjoyed the higher standards of living that we were enjoying . . .

It is time we started to realise that the government are representatives of the people. If the government take responsibility, so too should the people who elected them.

The only thing this Government represents is greed and the pursuit of self interest combined with incompetence that is unparalelled in Western Europe.
    The 2002 election win was based on lies about cut backs :

On May 13, Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy wrote to the then Fine Gael leader Michael Noonan, saying: “I can confirm that there are no significant overruns projected and no cutbacks whatsoever are being planned secretly or otherwise.”

Now it appears cutbacks were being conducted as early as February this year and, most certainly, in April. Then in June, just weeks after being elected to office, the Government embarked on a round of cuts worth more than 300m.

Voters are recognising how devalued a currency a political promise is. And if the Government is looking into why a record low turnout was recorded in the last election, it need go no further than examining its own promises during that three-week campaign.

Now that the election is over, the Government has been quick to point out that the public finances aren’t quite that healthy after all.

That’s because there’s a benchmarking bill to be paid, for which there isn’t enough money, a massive infrastructure programme with shrinking resources, and increases in day-to-day expenses which must be reigned in.

Nothing has changed dramatically in those few months since the election which has forced this spending dilemma on the Government.

You didn’t hear about it at election time because the Government didn’t want you to know about it.

Now that it suits them, expect more dramatic warnings and dire predictions
    Sources Irish Examiner
    The 2007 election was won on the denial of the real economic facts.
    It is almost amusing hearing the hackneyed cliches being trotted out by the loayal supporters !

I see the difference as voting based on the past rather than voting for the future. Regardless of your opinion about what happened in the past we all have a responsibility to vote for the party best positioned to take us into the future.

Yes we all* do.

But you can't say "regardless of....."; "regardless" is a variation on "disregard", so maybe FF would love if we did disregard the RECENT past which is CURRENTLY affecting us so badly, but we won't (or at least, those of us who aren't blinkered won't). We also won't disregard the fact that it's not even the party; most of those in government are the INDIVIDUALS who presided over this mess, including our current Taoiseach who was Minister for Finance while the Galway Tent brigade dug the hole.

So the party best positioned to take us into the future is not the one that landed us in this mess.

Would you expect a manager who had presided over a team's fall from the Premiership to the Fourth Division (within two seasons) to be able to get them back up ?

* No caveat required this way around, so FF supporters take note, but I will still repeatedly object to claims that "we" are responsible for this, unless you - as a member - decide to use that word to specifically refer to FF

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Yes we all* do.

But you can't say "regardless of....."; "regardless" is a variation on "disregard", so maybe FF would love if we did disregard the RECENT past which is CURRENTLY affecting us so badly, but we won't (or at least, those of us who aren't blinkered won't). We also won't disregard the fact that it's not even the party; most of those in government are the INDIVIDUALS who presided over this mess, including our current Taoiseach who was Minister for Finance while the Galway Tent brigade dug the hole.

So the party best positioned to take us into the future is not the one that landed us in this mess.

Would you expect a manager who had presided over a team's fall from the Premiership to the Fourth Division (within two seasons) to be able to get them back up ?

So . . . . . you're subtly misquoting me again . . I said regardless of your opinion . . not regardless of what happened in the past . . .

I'm not asking anyone to disregard the past and nor will I, but I will vote in the next election based on my assessment of who I believe are the party best positioned to lead the next government. At the moment, as you know, I believe that is Fianna Fail. I make that assessment based largely on what the current Cowen-led administration did over the past 18 months or so and are continuing to do. I make it based on the fact that I don't see a stable alternative offering anything better or even different (Back on topic - after all this thread is about the opposition, not another chance to have a dig at FF). I know you don't agree with me and I know you will dismiss my views as blind party loyalty but you don't know me and actually such assertions couldn't be further from the truth. I have no real history with or loyalty to FF but right now I am a member and a supporter.

The difference in your football analogy is that we have already changed the manager, the treasurer and many in the team and we have begun to creep back up towards the third division. . Any footballer will tell you that it is unwise to change a team who are already on the road to recovery.
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    * No caveat required this way around, so FF supporters take note, but I will still repeatedly object to claims that "we" are responsible for this, unless you - as a member - decide to use that word to specifically refer to FF

If it were only FF voters who were happy to live beyond their means, take out 100%+ mortgages and buy new cars every other year that they could ill afford then I would accept your objection but you and I both know this is not the case.

So . . . . . you're subtly misquoting me again . . I said regardless of your opinion . . not regardless of what happened in the past . . .

If it were only FF voters who were happy to live beyond their means, take out 100%+ mortgages and buy new cars every other year that they could ill afford then I would accept your objection but you and I both know this is not the case.

That comment is as offensive as it is inaccurate. It is however consistent with the blatant refusal of FF to take responsibility for their actions, This economy has been brought to the brink of destruction for the sole purpose of holding on to power. The rank and file FF members are as culpable as the FF ministers.

The difference in your football analogy is that we have already changed the manager, the treasurer and many in the team and we have begun to creep back up towards the third division. . Any footballer will tell you that it is unwise to change a team who are already on the road to recovery.

Excuse me ?

The previous treasurer is now the manager.......how is that "change", considering the mess that the previous treasurer got us into ?

The new treasurer paid billions in hospital fees for a new Anglo-Irish striker that is a millstone, signing the equivalent of a 20-year contract without even checking whether he ever actually played football, let alone might play in the future.

And what "recovery" are you talking about ?

The one that's being hampered by the billions being spent paying the bankers and builders of the new stadium for their bad investments elsewhere, despite those decisions having nothing to do with the majority of the club, while trotting out lies about how all of the membership were greedy ?

Or the one that wouldn't even be required if the current manager hadn't screwed up (and allowed the previous manager to screw up) so badly ?

Or maybe the one that has ransomed the future possible position of a lower Division 2 with a 54 billion debt that ensures that the eventual new manager will be hampered in the hope that him having his hands tied will make them look good by comparison.

It is BASIC COMMON SENSE to look at track records and past experience, and none of the current board has shown themselves even remotely capable of forward thinking.

The opposition parties are poor, there's no doubt. And I'd much prefer a strong, ethical, fair-minded, responsible government.

But since that's not available, ethical and fair-minded will do me.

anymore wrote: »
    That comment is as offensive as it is inaccurate. It is however consistent with the blatant refusal of FF to take responsibility for their actions, This economy has been brought to the brink of destruction for the sole purpose of holding on to power. The rank and file FF members are as culpable as the FF ministers.

You accuse me of offense and inaccuracy but yet do nothing to demonstrate either . . .

If you read my posts you will find that I am happy to take responsibility for whatever part I (as a FF member, voter and supporter) played in creating the current situation. As I have also said in the past I believe that the only way to take responsibility is to work to change the situation . . I believe that is exactly what the current government is doing. . . but if you believe that responsibility rests solely on FF then you are mistaken and you will be dissapointed to see that the country will not magically turn around once they exit government.

Look, the country went mental. Property developers could not have borrowed huge sums of money to build unnecessary properties all over the country if there were not people trying to make a quick buck buying up 2,3 or more properties to rent to the casual labour force from Eastern Europe who were building them. . . and if you think that they were all FF voters and supporters then frankly you have your head in the clouds .. I know 2 or 3 of them and none of them support FF !!

Feel free to disagree with me and debate the facts but don't accuse me of offense, inaccuracy or failure to accept responsibility unless you have something to back it up. . . and don't just dismiss me by popping me into your "rank and file FF" bucket. . it's a bit of a lame argument.

• Advertisement

If you read my posts you will find that I am happy to take responsibility for whatever part I (as a FF member, voter and supporter) played in creating the current situation. As I have also said in the past I believe that the only way to take responsibility is to work to change the situation . . I believe that is exactly what the current government is doing. . . but if you believe that responsibility rests solely on FF then you are mistaken and you will be dissapointed to see that the country will not magically turn around once they exit government.

1. You are not happy to take responsibility as a voter because you intend to vote for FF again.

2. The best and quickest way to take responsibility (to change the situation as you say) is to vote in a new government. Its all well and good wanting to change FF (even though its not- see point 3) but they wont be changed in 2yrs by the time of the next election and you'll still vote for them. What would they have to do to lose your vote?

3. You admirably claim to be working to change FF. Out of all the parties in politics you still chose to join FF. How can the young blood in FF expect to change a party when they've shown such low standards as to join them? Why would i ever trust you? You are backing the wrong horse here, showing a huge error in judgment. If you wanted to affect change in politics you would have been better starting a new party or joining one that wasn't rotten to the core. How are FF rotten to the core? Well they still have their core vote.

Advertisement