Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking up home ec now in 5th year

Options
  • 13-01-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    Just wondering can this be done ? and if it can is it a lot of work ? Or could i just do it in one year next year ? What is the project you have to do ? Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Of course it can be done.
    Myself, along with a load of my friends took it up last year. Theres a lot of work for it alright, and as far as I know we're quite far behind but we should be fine.

The project, well a thing is sent to the school which has 6 different tasks to do, it gives a paragraph on a specific subject and you gotta do things for it.
    You must do 5 of them, like for example, one of ours this year was to search for causes and preventions of Osteoporosis and just to cook a meal for them.
    In your journal you write the 1st 2 pages about your investigation into the subject matter, the next page you fill in your recipe and what you will do when you cook.
    The next page is what you did while cooking, and the next page is just evaluating the whole thing. Its pretty easy, our teacher give us notes for the investigation.
    The others things we had were fats/oils, lower socio-economic families, yeast and I can't remember the rest.

Hope that helps!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I didn't do home ec, but AFAIK the project is fairly involved, and is done over a fairly extended period. All I know is it involved cooking different things. It's something you'll need a teacher to sign off on, and, AFAIK it is submitted in October / November of Leaving Cert year. Make sure you have your facts straight before you consider it. Home Ec wouldn't be one of the easiest subjects to do externally because of the project work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The project also has to be signed off on by a teacher. They need to have supervised you while doing it and I have a dim recollection of a phrase like 'following a recognised course of study' on one of the forms.
    OP you don't make it clear whether you are joining a class or just going to try doing it on your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

the assignments are handy if your teacher is good at giving you notes. they take alot of time but are well worth it if you consider you will have 20% going into your exam.

if you like the aspects of home ec i think you should definitley give it a try.
    i love it and find it very interesting,it covers so much more than just food!

also some topics are common sense.. you dont need to learn off loads for them but on the other hand there is a good amount of learning in the course. maybe speak to the teacher before fully deciding?

Advertisement