Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to compare Truman Show with?

Options
  • 13-01-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭

Hi, Id like to know if any people here are using The Truman Show as a text in their comparative and what they're comparing/contrasting it with...

what texts suit The Truman Show

Regards
    Poxy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm guessing you must be studying for the LC outside of school.

To answer your question, TTS can be compared/contrasted with any of the 30+ texts on your course, it isn't meant to 'fit' with any particular texts. Have you gone through the 2010 list? It's here http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&page=&maincat=&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&link=&subject=17601&language=EN My OL class are doing it with Lies of Silence. Are you doing OL or HL? Have you any other texts covered? Have you a theme, or are you going to figure that out as you go along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

I'm doing Truman Show, Tempest and Waiting for Godot.

You can compare Christof to Prospero in Tempest and Godot in Waiting for Godot.

Tempest and Truman Show have some good links, just did a question on it today. Godot is alright, some links but not as many.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm doing Truman with Lies of Silence and Panther in the Basement. LOS and PiB have obvious links as there both about war, but we contrast those with the positive theme of Truman, and talk about the deception of Truman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Aw I wishs my school was doing this,I've watched the film a million times before as a kid s I know all about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping to do HL and did TTS last year and would like to do it this year as it means one less text to start from scratch! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping to do HL and did TTS last year and would like to do it this year as it means one less text to start from scratch! :)

What were your other texts? Some of the texts on 2010 may be similar to the ones you did. If you're repeating, I would opt for short texts that you can cover quickly and then do the notes e.g. Lies of Silence doesn't take too long. Any play with an accurate film version should be a big help too. You should be able to re-use your cultural context headings for 2 new tetxs, then just cover Literary Genre or GVV and you're covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I did The Truman Show, The Crucible and Jane Eyre last year for my comparative.

Jammyc wrote: »
    I did The Truman Show, The Crucible and Jane Eyre last year for my comparative.

Not very helpful to the OP as The Crucible and Jane Eyre aren't on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

deemark wrote: »
    Not very helpful to the OP as The Crucible and Jane Eyre aren't on this year.
    My apologies, I'm not exactly up to speed with the 2010/11 english course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

deemark wrote: »
    What were your other texts? Some of the texts on 2010 may be similar to the ones you did. If you're repeating, I would opt for short texts that you can cover quickly and then do the notes e.g. Lies of Silence doesn't take too long. Any play with an accurate film version should be a big help too. You should be able to re-use your cultural context headings for 2 new tetxs, then just cover Literary Genre or GVV and you're covered.

I did Philadelphia Here I Come and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time.

• Advertisement

Damn, same texts I did last year, none of them repeatable. Your best and handiest bet for a novel would be Lies of Silence and for a drama, Sive, A Doll's House or The Playboy of the Western World would be short enough and easy to get through.

For CC: In LoS, you have a dangerous world which is all too real (Vs safe and fake) and a middle class protagonist with a suburban home and a good job (like Truman). Both are unhappy in their marriages and have mostly dependent wives. Family is not important to them. Both long to escape from the cultural context. Both, while not religious, are influenced heavily by religion - Christof is a god-like figure, sectarian violence in Northern Ireland. You get the gist...

In PWW, you have a world that can be seen to be unreal and it can be violent. Religion plays a role, but is often ignored, the people are amoral and hypocritical. Marriage is a financial arrangement. Women are dependent on men. The characters long for excitement to escape the monotony of the world they inhabit.

Sive is another Irish play. Class, religion and money are all hugely important. The protagonist finds herself with only one means of escape from the world she inhabits.

You get the gist, good luck!

Advertisement