Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celica Key Fob Issue

• 13-01-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Guys,

I went to my car tonight, went to unlock it using my key fob key, and when i pressed unlock, nothing happened, just a red LED light flickers on the key itself?

The hazard lights did not flash, and I did not hear the car unlock?

Nor did they flash when i pressed the lock button on the FOB?

So I decided to use the key to open the door, and off went the siren alarm, and wouldnt stop?
    I cud put the key in the car, and start the engine fine, but the alarm kept going off?
    So I got out closed all doors and locked it with key, the alarm has stopped now, but the key fob still wont work and I'm afraid to open it with the key again incase the alarm goes off and wont stop?

Would it be an issue with the battery in the Key Fob? Has anybody experienced this(with another Toyota perhaps)? Or will I have to take it to a dealer? Cheers in advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Is it a factory fitted alarm or one that was added to the car afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Hi Tipsy,

Its factory fitted, nothing added afterwards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

First try a replacement battery in the keyfob of if you have a 2nd one try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Unfortunately the second key does not have a remote FOB :(

I'll replace the battery tmoro see if it works

Any ideas what else it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carina

Take a look at this, I used it because my key fob wouldnt work. Followed the steps after I replaced the battery & both my key fobs are working perfect now (2004 1.6 Avensis) Hope it works for you ;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776451&highlight=toyota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

when u opened the car with the key and alarm went off did u try pressing the unlock button on the fob to see if it wud turn the alarm off,sometimes if batt is gone fob hasnt the power to open the lock but can turn alarm off

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

pdiddy wrote: »
    when u opened the car with the key and alarm went off did u try pressing the unlock button on the fob to see if it wud turn the alarm off,sometimes if batt is gone fob hasnt the power to open the lock but can turn alarm off
    yeah press the unlock button inside the door to shut off the alarm, dont change the battery though as the little red light wont flash if the battery is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

pdiddy wrote: »
    The key uses no more power unlocking the car than it does turning the alarm off. All the key does is send a signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HBK wrote: »
    Guys,

I went to my car tonight, went to unlock it using my key fob key, and when i pressed unlock, nothing happened, just a red LED light flickers on the key itself?
    This is the bit that makes me think it is the fob battery......

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

docmartin wrote: »
    yeah press the unlock button inside the door to shut off the alarm, dont change the battery though as the little red light wont flash if the battery is dead
    It will still flash if the battery is nearly dead (i.e not enough power to transmit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It will still flash if the battery is nearly dead (i.e not enough power to transmit)
    no it wont, believe it or not the LED on the key uses more power than transmitting the signal, first the light will stop flashing, then your buttons stop working through time. on the other hand i've seen batteries that shift out of place and once they are put sitting back in properly again they'll go for another few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so you're saying not to change the battery then?

Advertisement