Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Maths thing

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

This has probably been asked a million times, but what actually happens when you fail maths.If you have to repeat can u stay out of school? and can you just repeat maths or is it a whole new Leaving cert

Im doin HL is there any difference between failing that and OL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No, as far as I know there are courses than don't require you to pass maths.

As for repeating yeah, you can just not go to school and then retake the exam the following year.

I too do HL, but I decided that tomorrow I'm gonna drop to pass, I never did any revising for it and I failed my christmas test by 1%, so if I was to keep it up something else, if not everything, would suffer, so screw that. A in pass should be fairly straight forward:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wardy92

Ya im thinkin of dropping down too i got 36%! i have looked at ordinary papers and im pretty sure i can get an A. Im gonna do the mocks HL and see what happens.

Oh yea thanks for the info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

there are courses than don't require you to pass maths.

this is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ithoughtitwasap

No, as far as I know there are courses than don't require you to pass maths.

As for repeating yeah, you can just not go to school and then retake the exam the following year.

I too do HL, but I decided that tomorrow I'm gonna drop to pass, I never did any revising for it and I failed my christmas test by 1%, so if I was to keep it up something else, if not everything, would suffer, so screw that. A in pass should be fairly straight forward:D

Best decision you'll make all year boss, I did the same a couple of months ago, and it's a serious relief, especially if you feel you could handle Higher Level in Junior cert without much work, but when you entered Senior Cycle, it became too much. If you're as bad at maths as I am, you'll find that pressure is taken off, given you more time to spend on other subjects. What did your parents think if you don't mind my asking? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I know a guy who failed maths but got 480ish points and got his Computer course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think that people who get an A in pass should really be doing honours. In my opinion, it's easier to get higher than a C3 in honours than it is to get an A1 in pass. Remember, an A1 in pass still means that you have to do the pass paper to (almost) perfection.

But then if you're worried about failing it, maybe pass would be the easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I think that people who get an A in pass should really be doing honours. In my opinion, it's easier to get higher than a C3 in honours than it is to get an A1 in pass. Remember, an A1 in pass still means that you have to do the pass paper to (almost) perfection.

But then if you're worried about failing it, maybe pass would be the easier option.

There's quite a large gap in the Honours and Ordinary for maths. It's true for alot of other subjects but I think in alot of cases the A1 in ordinary is easier.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's quite a large gap in the Honours and Ordinary for maths. It's true for alot of other subjects but I think in alot of cases the A1 in ordinary is easier.

Actually, you're probably right, in relation to Maths anyway.

But some subjects e.g. Physics only have small difference between HL and OL, and with the same amount of effort it's possible to score higher points in the HL. But yeah, big subjects like Maths and Irish probably wouldn't apply to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Answer:

Some courses specifically ask for a certain qualification of maths.
    Pretty much all engineering courses specify HL maths, (usually about c-).
    Many courses have either HL or OL qualification specifications (generally HL d- or OL b-)

If you fail maths you can just repeat that one subject (but you will have to keep the leaving cert points that you previously got).

So if you do your leaving cert and you get 375 points, and fail maths, and the next year you repeat maths (only!) and get an A+ in HL, you will still have 375 points (but a higher maths qualification in maths)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I got an A1 in pass last year and i dont regret doing pass at all. It gave me time to put the effort into my other subjects particularly honours irish so I warmtn freaking out about honours maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Best decision you'll make all year boss, I did the same a couple of months ago, and it's a serious relief, especially if you feel you could handle Higher Level in Junior cert without much work, but when you entered Senior Cycle, it became too much. If you're as bad at maths as I am, you'll find that pressure is taken off, given you more time to spend on other subjects. What did your parents think if you don't mind my asking? :P

Very meh, my parents are completely for me making my own decisions regards my subjects and which level, even though before i did my mom wanted to talk to me Maths teacher just to make sure that I was being honest, and not lying, so as to get out of doing it, just in case i was good or whatever.

Went down today. It was really funny, cause in comparison to my maths class, which was teacher was very serious, and our principal, it seemed like it was a childrens class as it was so relax and SOOO much easier, love it:)

Advertisement