Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Manager Story (PES/FIFA)

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Some interesting threads around on the Be-A-Pro / Legend mode and some good stories in Championship Manager forum so can we get one going here. What have been your tales of triumphs or woes?

Myself:
    Started on the second highest difficulty (for both game and board). Picked Gillingham - Coca Cola League 1 and no hope it seemed. Objectives for first season were to avoid relegation zone. First few pre-season friendlies didn't go so well - plenty of experimentation with players and positions. Once the league started, we got moving though. Plenty of scalps taken in the league and were in a strong position at the mid-point. Cup run was less fortunate - some sloppy defending or just generally unlucky and knocked out of all three. Did make my objective in FA Cup though. Right to the end of the season in the league, we were challenging for promotion. A slump at the very end brought a string of poor results and a 9th place finish (and an end to Andy Gray's commentry on my XBox because he kept betting against Gillingham - Henrik Strombold (or something) has taken his place!)

Second season:
    A couple of new signings - Ruz (RB), Gonzales (CM), Sariava (RM) and Petric (GK) bolstered the squad (forgot abo9t Kantari (CB) and Ailton (LM/RM) - pretty sure they were S1). Discovered a couple of the younger lads who have potential. Objective this season was to consolidate our position in the league. Smashed that by running at the top. Were 12 points clear at one point towards the end of the season but once again, we hit a slump. Finished 2nd and gained promotion...Also tasted cup success with the Johnstone Paint Trophy! Celebrations all round. We were heading for Division 1 to face old rivals Leeds.

Third (and current) season:
    Objective is to avoid relegation but halfway through the season and we are 4th. Only 3 points seperate the top 6 sides so it could go any which way...Once again, cup run has been cut short but met the 4th round objective. Szalai (CF) has been added to the squad to provide some firepower up front. Despite his height, his feet have been majestic in providing goals (I really need to learn how to header!).

Overall, it's been quite a successful run thus far. Building reputation slowly but surely. No big job offers yet so I have been quite happy to stick with the squad that I am building...and know. Hope to get promotion this season but wary of that end-of-season slump! Staying in the division another year wouldn't be too bad - at least we can challenge. Not sure how the squad will fare at top level yet.

On the difficulty note - top difficulty in FIFA is just annoying to play against - one I'm on uses the glitches enough as is :D Challenging games...but enjoyable.

So, what's your story?

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    objective. Szalai (CF) has been added to the squad to provide some firepower up front. Despite his height, his feet have been majestic in providing goals (I really need to learn how to header!).

I thought he was like 6ft 4?

Or supposed to be at least

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Exactly - and yet I can't get him to score headers.....or win them :'(

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Exactly - and yet I can't get him to score headers.....or win them :'(

Nice story - i never managed to play FIFA offline. I rather play the unknown online every game :)

I too cant score headers either... its my crossing that is brutal too, I cant get it sorted!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I am with Arsenal in Master League. First season I only signed Gourcuff as I ws quite happy with the squad. I brought 2 youngsters up from the youth squad because they had abnormally brilliant attributes!
    Lost to Citeh in the first round of the cup, finished 3rd in the league and got knocked out of the CL in the 1/4 finals :( In fairnest, Gourcuff somehow got injured for 6 months!
    Next season I bought Henry (backup), Jovatic, Gibson and a couple other young lads. Offloaded useless Bendtner and Edu. As it stands in the past 3 games I won the cup final against City (great revenge), wrapped up the league with 4 games to go, and had an epic and dramatic CL final victory over Barcelona. So I can give the young lads a run around for the last 4 league games.
    I want Ronaldo and/or Aguero this summer :D

5 games left in the season and it could go one of two ways...If Gillingham have a good run of form we'll be pushing for 3rd/4th (depending on other results); if it's a mixed bag we'll likely finish in 10th. Had a couple of bad games, broken up by a 3-0 hammering of Leeds, so took a small breather. Need the lads refreshed for the games to come :D

🤪

• Advertisement

5 games left in the season and it could go one of two ways...If Gillingham have a good run of form we'll be pushing for 3rd/4th (depending on other results); if it's a mixed bag we'll likely finish in 10th. Had a couple of bad games, broken up by a 3-0 hammering of Leeds, so took a small breather. Need the lads refreshed for the games to come :D

Had a tough run of games - had to play three of top four in last four games. A few 1-1 draws with a 3-0 win over leaders Reading in the last game sealed 6th place. Into the Semis of Championship playoffs and took Burnley down over two legs (1-1; 3-0). Played Preston in the final and took a 3-0 win to seal a spot in the Premiership.

Team is still only about 2 stars though so it's going to be a tough season ahead. Can't attract talent; got two guys on loan for the coming year - defender and goalie. Let's see if we can stem the easy goals. Wasting too many 1v1 chances too...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sabre0002

About 10 games into the Premiership season and in 7th place...Difficult games are to come though - Manchester United, Arsenal and City are three of my next four games!

Just knocked Villa out of League Cup - went behind 1-0, pulled it back to 1-1 and was all over them...until Extra Time where I was hanging on and throwing desperate blocks around. Secured victory on penalties 4-2.

Considering bumping up the difficulty - Gillingham are still 2.5 stars and yet I'm doing ok...That shouldn't happen, although I may freak out at the stress of games being realistically tough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Difficulty: World Class
    Board Difficulty: Amateur :p

Picked Leeds for an easy promotion

Wasnt as easy as expected.

Spent the first half of the season just about in the top 10

I had only managed Gael Kakuta in the transfer window and tbh he was a bit of a flop.

BUT THEN the January transfer window came... in come Aaron Ramsey and Micah Richards (Bargain). :D

Fought my way up to second but never even got within 10 points of Charlton.

So got promoted and won the st.johnstone shield or whatever (on pens). :cool:

Jermain Beckford top player :rolleyes:

Just bought Jack Wilshere and James McCarthy :eek:

Lost my first match of the season 3-0 so currently 23rd in the championship:(

Messi in January perhaps?

Finally got through the Premiership season...and nearly forgot about this thread!

Anyways, bumped up the difficulty to Legendary and got my 5 star manager rating. Finished safely in mid-table, 11th position and made it to Quarter-Final of FA Cup. A formation of 4-5-1 has worked against the bigger dogs after forcing Man City to ET in that Quarter Final and beat Man Utd (:'( ) 2-1 in the closing stages of the season...and may have cost them the title.

Two players on the team of the year and my goalkeeper got player of the year (which shows how poor my defending was!).

And then...comes the difficult decisions. Plenty of job offers including the English jobs at United, Chelsea or Arsenal and abroad with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus. Turned them down to stick with Gillingham. Don't want to go to another English club (couldn't cope with the heartbreak of seeing them slip down the table) and abroad was tempting...But just thought I'd stick it out and see if I could get any silverware!

Couple of players are gone back after loan and have some work to do...Need to get a couple of signings in and may have to jiggle things around. Think my Virtual Pro will become a defender for the season - needs to be stable at the back. Perhaps use the 4-5-1 strategy more. The friendlies will hopefully answer a few questions and hopefully some decent players will come.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've won the Champs League 4 years in a row and the League 5 in a row with Bayern - it's kinda ridiculous. My team until this season had Messi, Ronaldo, Fabregas, Ribery and Vidic :P I think the problem with the mode is that the longer you play the easier it gets because 1. the other teams rarely if ever buy any players, and certainly not big players and 2. the young players that are created into the game every year and generally pretty cheap so you can nearly snatch up the best of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Created a player in the image of myself but couldn't get a computer animated WAG. Got very lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Legendary difficulty in Gameplay and Board.
    Picked W.Ham won league and carling cup 1st season.
    Sold Ashton,Cole,Diamanti,Behrami,Dyer,Spencer and Boa Morte
    Bought Gignac,Nilmar, James McArthey,Damo Duff, Richard Dunne,Marcelo,Nani,Derek Riordan, El Hadj Diouf, Cishoko(Lyon), Muntari, Joe Ledley and Gamberini..

Basically I'm doninatin everything. Green (GK) Ilunga (Rb) Dunne Gamberini (CB), Cisshoko (lB) Marcelo (Rm) Parker/Collison Muntari (CM) Nani (Lw) Gignan Nilmar (ST)

Won the league 3 times in a row won the ECC 2 times in 3 years, Won Carling Cup 3 times in a row, Yet to win The F.A cup, Mid way through Season 4 top of the league and in all competitions Manager Reputation 5*.

THANK YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Purchiz

won the Premier LEague with tottenham in first season but didn't make it past first round of F.A Cup so the season was considered as a failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Got Ipswich into the PL. Then couldn't buy any players, wage bill was too low, finished 4th in my second PL season, after finishing 10th the year before, then won the PL and got to the quarter finals of the CL after buying Young, Ronaldo (Brazil) and Ozil.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

1st season- Leeds promoted to Championship, Beckford sold for 5 million:D
    2nd season- Leeds promoted yet again through the playoffs, beating QPR in the final, we won carling cup:)

3rd season- Leeds nick 7th place, Uefa Cup Football. We beat Manchester United 1-0 in the league...twice!
    Victor Moses top scorer with 26

4th season- Half way through, 7th place currently, Ive got my eye on bringing James Milner back home in January!

Season 5 not going so well for Gillingham! The Winter struck and showed why a move to the sunny climates of Spain or Italy may have been a wise move. Why it was a good idea to play in the snow with a white ball I don't know but anyways....

Dumped out of both cups pretty early - lost to Cardiff in League Cup on penalties which was a disapointment.

League form hit a massive blow with the snow. Struggled to pick up points and home form has been truely awful! Currently 11th and holding on. How to get above this could prove challenging. Biggest matches are always against Manchester United - just engaged in a thrilling 5-5 draw (a goal at either end scored in injury time).

Star signing is a young 18 year old called Tokgoz. Cost 3.5m so was a bold move but he has 16 goals in 21 games and tied with Rooney at the top for overall points (goals + assists). Surprisingly I don't get messages saying that other teams are showing an interest in him!

🤪

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing as newcastle on world class in Fifa.

1ST Season:I won the F.A Cup and finished first in the championship and qualifyed for the E.F.A

2nd Season:Won the premiership,was knocked out of the efa league in the semi's and did'nt make it past the 1st rounds of the english league cup or the F.A Cup,I brought raul garcia (CAM) and simoa (LM) (atletico madrid) daniel ayla (CB) (liverpool).

3rd season Won the premiership again,was knocked out of both cups again and made it to the semi's of the champions league but was knocked out by chelsea and I can't buy any players because I have no money only 3million or something :(.

4th season 1first in league 11points.

and thats newcastles story so far :).

Managed to put together a good run at the end of the season to finish 11th.

THEN

The dream move to Barcelona...or so I thought. Club finances looked good from the outside only to find them €2bn in debt and minus in the wage budget too! Naturally a good team and the board expectations are to win all round. Played the four friendlies with three comfortable wins and one loss. The loss was the only result that impacted on the board confidence.

Could be an interesting season but with the debt situation, I am not sure how long I will stay...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Managing arsenal in pes top level. Had been with wolves on level below this but found it too easy.

Finding it ok very difficult to sign players at moment, even the ones with no club!!! have set a few of mine on loan and released a few to create places. Really surprised how rubbish cesc, have him for sale/loan but no interest was expecting him to be brilliant!!!! still in the group stages of cl on joint first at moment. league not going so well in 6th/7th and finding home wins difficult to pull off and anytime a break comes up 90% of team are on internationl duty. will be lucky if we win anything this year have a great goalie obviously not almunia but cant sign a replacement one for life of me. When i had wolves i was signing left right and centre!!!

It has really turned into a love hate relationship!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

In FIFA 10, I just went into my 9th Season, I think. Could be 10th though... I play on Legendary!

After three succesive LOI Titles with St Patrick's Athletic, I joined Accrington Stanley. I'd three promotions winning the odd Johnston's Paint Trophy along the way and one League Cup. Came 2nd in L2, won the Playoff's in L1 after finishing pretty poorly, like 6th. Then won The Championship! I then won the Premier League in my first year, along with another League Cup and in my second year I won the Charity Shield, League Cup, Premier League again by a point, and then I also won the Champions League. Smashing stuff!

Got really fed up of Stanley, so decided to leave. The choices of clubs were excellent, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Fenerbache and Galatasary. The best looking of the lot, was Real Madrid, with a budget of €128million and a wage budget of €2.5million. It said the best players were Ronaldo, Xavi Alonso and Sergio Ramos. Happy out, I signed for them! It saved straight away, thanks to the good aul Autosave. Anyway, first bad thing I noticed was that Ronaldo and Xavi Alonso were gone, altho I still had a decent team! Benz and Higuain up front, Raul Albiol, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Iker Cassilas at the back and the likes of Gago, Marcello and a few others in the middle of the park. So wasn't too dissapointed that I lost the two better players.

And then, I noticed the horrible thing. I'd a remaining wage budget of €0, and a Club Budget of a whopping -€2billion... Disaster. How is one supposed to make up a deficit of 2 fúcking billion?

And then to add to all of that, my xbox broke this morning! Pfft

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Star signing is a young 18 year old called Tokgoz. Cost 3.5m !

Where did you sign him from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Have they not patched that -2 billion bug yet? Supposed to be one of the core elements of the gameplay, and this is a massive gamebreaker.

Glazers eat your heart out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Read about this problem after it happened me! Apparently EA don't give a damn!

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Have they not patched that -2 billion bug yet? Supposed to be one of the core elements of the gameplay, and this is a massive gamebreaker.

Glazers eat your heart out!

Doubt it! Sickening tbh! Like, there's no way to make that -2bn up really.

Where did you sign him from?

I can't remember to be honest - I'll look up his profile to try and get you some specific details to search by...

€2bn glitch is still there unfortunately as I found out to my peril after moving to Barca! Means that I can't do any staff upgrades which is frustrating as Barcelona by default should be good but instead, are stuck on 5's.

Anyways, first season with Barca - expectations were to qualify for ECC, Final of Spanish Cup and Quarter Finals of ECC. Succeeded in them all but not as I had hoped.

Was 7 points off Real Madrid in the league heading into the last few matches. Managed to actually get ahead of them going into the last game as they drew to Seville, the team I then had to play! Was up 1-0 in the last 10 mins and then disaster struck; they equalised and Real Madrid won the league.

Won the Spanish Cup pretty comfortably. Was expecting to win after knocking Real Madrid out (but there's always the chance of something going wrong!)

ECC was a disaster. Just about qualified for the knockout stage thanks to other results going my way. Crashed out in the QF to Benfica :(

Decided to stay - some unfinished business to attend to! First three matches of the competitive season are against Real Madrid. Spanish Super Cup (2 matches) and then the league). Tough start and will could set the trend for the year.

🤪

I can't remember to be honest - I'll look up his profile to try and get you some specific details to search by...

€2bn glitch is still there unfortunately as I found out to my peril after moving to Barca! Means that I can't do any staff upgrades which is frustrating as Barcelona by default should be good but instead, are stuck on 5's.

Anyways, first season with Barca - expectations were to qualify for ECC, Final of Spanish Cup and Quarter Finals of ECC. Succeeded in them all but not as I had hoped.

Was 7 points off Real Madrid in the league heading into the last few matches. Managed to actually get ahead of them going into the last game as they drew to Seville, the team I then had to play! Was up 1-0 in the last 10 mins and then disaster struck; they equalised and Real Madrid won the league.

Won the Spanish Cup pretty comfortably. Was expecting to win after knocking Real Madrid out (but there's always the chance of something going wrong!)

ECC was a disaster. Just about qualified for the knockout stage thanks to other results going my way. Crashed out in the QF to Benfica :(

Decided to stay - some unfinished business to attend to! First three matches of the competitive season are against Real Madrid. Spanish Super Cup (2 matches) and then the league). Tough start and will could set the trend for the year.

I just found out, with Madrid, my -2bn goes to 2 billion, plus when I go into the transfer centre. Doesn't work anywhere else though, like staff upgrades, as you said. So I sold a couple of young lads off there, and got a bit of a wage budget, and signed a few new players :D

Advertisement