Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timing Belt - Life Expectancy (Vectra)

• 13-01-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Does anybody know how long a timing belt for a Open Vectra (2003) is roughly?

I've only had the car about 7 months and I think it was changed at 42k miles and the car just hit 75k miles. (I didn't put 30k miles on in 7 months either! :) ) I've heard various different lengths of time it should last, but am looking to get some views maybe from people who know more about these things and maybe own a Vectra!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

I'd recommend you change it anyway as so many people say a belt was changed but it never was (depending on garage/belt location it can cost a good bit, and it's not done)
    Your Opel dealer should tell you over the phone what the belt life is.
    I got caught before with a micra which had a service history stamped by a "reputable" garage and the belt snapped less than 10,000 miles on the "new" belt. My neighbour mechanic reckoned it was never changed at all looking at the condition of it. Cost me 400 or so for a 2nd hand head, gasket, labour. Ever since then I ALWAYS get the belt changed no matter how honest looking the seller is.
    You'll have piece of mind belting down the motorway with a new belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What does the manual say?

The old-old model had a short interval (40k miles) due to a dodgy idler pulley but that's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I don't have a manual, I must fish one out online to check actually!

I might pop into a dealer and ask if I get chance, I just don't want them to try and rob me. (they asking my when it was changed and telling me its due NOW!!!)

I didn't mention it in my original post because I didn't want to put words in peoples mouths, I wanted a non influenced opinion. But I know for a fact, that the belt was changed at 42k, so its done 33k on it. I was told its life is 30k and EVERY person I've told that 30k is the life of the belt they says its crap and that a belt should last upto 50/60k on a car? This now, it talking to my dads friends, so I dunno... they are all old :) (80's plus!)

I personally do think that cars of today should be able to more than 30k before the belt needs changing!!!

Its not that I don't want to change it, but cut long story short. Redundancy, child, bills... car comes 2nd at the moment! :( (and I loves cars, I always take car of them - not mechanically though, leave it to the pros!)

I know you can buy the kit yourself and get it put on for you, which is cheaper than a dealer, I might try that route.
    (NB: I had a punto, and pug 106 before this, dunno if they had timing belts, but never got one for them, hence the dumb question(s) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not bother going to a main dealer with a 03 car, find a good independant mechanic to do the job cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Thinking of upgrading to a vectra myself so did a bit of research on the topic and found this thread which may be of use

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344826&page=2

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would not bother going to a main dealer with a 03 car, find a good independant mechanic to do the job cheaper.

Oh totally, I was only going to pop into a dealer to see what their line was on the life expectancy of the timing belt. I would never pay those robbing (insert expletive here) :D

budhabob wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to a vectra myself so did a bit of research on the topic and found this thread which may be of use

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055344826&page=2

hmmm... they are very varied! From around 40k upwards? If you don't drive it hard I'd say if your lucky, you might be able to get an average and get about 50 / 60k out of it! Oh course, you might be simply unlucky and if could snap any time!

Does anybody know the work involved? I heard the kits around around €120 (please correct if wrong) but then what work is required? Does half the engine need to be removed to get to the timing belt, which means ridiculous labour charges to remove stuff and put it all back once the belt is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

DanGlee wrote: »
    Does anybody know how long a timing belt for a Open Vectra (2003) is roughly?

I've only had the car about 7 months and I think it was changed at 42k miles and the car just hit 75k miles. (I didn't put 30k miles on in 7 months either! :) ) I've heard various different lengths of time it should last, but am looking to get some views maybe from people who know more about these things and maybe own a Vectra!

Thanks.

Every 40k miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Yep its every 40k miles. I've had 3 vectras. Belt, pulleys, tensioners and water pump to be replaced. Opel were doing a fixed price deal a while back for this but a local recommended indy would be a lot cheaper and just as good

furtzy wrote: »
    Yep its every 40k miles. I've had 3 vectras. Belt, pulleys, tensioners and water pump to be replaced. Opel were doing a fixed price deal a while back for this but a local recommended indy would be a lot cheaper and just as good

What was the price for this job to be done all in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I love how nobody actually asked what model Vectra it was, and just threw 40k out there.

The 1.6/1.8 Petrol engines were every 40k miles or 4 years.
    The 2.0d had a chain, a belt obviously doesnt need to be done.
    The 2.0t is the same as the diesel.

What was the price for this job to be done all in?

€450 if i remember correctly. What model is it anyway?

I love how nobody actually asked what model Vectra it was, and just threw 40k out there.

The 1.6/1.8 Petrol engines were every 40k miles or 4 years.
    The 2.0d had a chain, a belt obviously doesnt need to be done.
    The 2.0t is the same as the diesel.

All belted engines are a 40K change.

€450 if i remember correctly. What model is it anyway?

Havent got one, but looking at cars so just want to know what to know all the facts.

All belted engines are a 40K change.

Not entirely accurate.

The 3.0CDTi (highly unlikely, I know) has an interval of 100,000 miles.

My main point was the OP didnt point out what model car it was. He may have assumed that it needed a belt, where it might not need anything at all.

Havent got one, but looking at cars so just want to know what to know all the facts.

You would need to know the model as some have a timing chain i.e the old GM diesels and some of the petrol e.g 2.2 Direct.

Belt changes are an important to look out for but also budget for suspension problems. Vectra's go through track rods, ARB's, bushes and various other suspension components with ease. Avoid the 1.6 petrol and the pre 2004 1.8 petrols. The 1.6 is grossly underpowered for the size of te car and the pre 04 1.8's drink petrol...mine was only doing 26mpg in town when I had it.

Not entirely accurate.

The 3.0CDTi (highly unlikely, I know) has an interval of 100,000 miles.

My main point was the OP didnt point out what model car it was. He may have assumed that it needed a belt, where it might not need anything at all.

You would be a very brave and foolish man to bet on that. Vauxhall UK very strongly recommend all belted engines have the change at 40k. Its the water pump that gives out causing belt failure. The belt itself would probably be good for 100k. Had a look my old one when it was changed and it was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

the brother has a 2003 2.0 dti and it has a chain and not a belt so if you have a 2.0 dt5i the odds are its a chain you have , dont go off me get it checked by someone qualified

It's unlikely to be 40k on a 2003 MY, as it's 100k miles on the 2006 MY.

Phone an Opel dealer. You're not going to get your answer here.

vectrac2006fw1.jpg

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's unlikely to be 40k on a 2003 MY, as it's 100k miles on the 2006 MY.

Phone an Opel dealer. You're not going to get your answer here.

vectrac2006fw1.jpg

Thats well out of date now. After a number for belt failures especially on 19DTH engine the recommended interval was brought down to 40k miles as a cover their arse exercise. Go into any Vauxhall dealership and they have this plastered all around the service areas.

Go onto the owners club site at www.vectra-c.com and you'll get the same advice.

• Advertisement

You would be a very brave and foolish man to bet on that. Vauxhall UK very strongly recommend all belted engines have the change at 40k. Its the water pump that gives out causing belt failure. The belt itself would probably be good for 100k. Had a look my old one when it was changed and it was perfect

My information comes from Opel Ireland, so its accurate. Thats the recommended interval for the 3.0CDTi.

If we can find out what car it exactly, I can find out very quickly what Opel recommend.

Both a main Opel dealer and Hursts of Belfast where my cousin works both recommended the 40k miles change for my 19DTH so thats what I went with. A quick google of "vectra cam belt failure" will defend that decision.

It would be worrying if Opel Ireland were giving different advice than the main dealers

A quick google of "vectra cam belt failure" will defend that decision.
    That'd be because of the faulty gf50 idler pulley in the Vectra-B which even made it onto BBC's Watchdog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have a little hyundai [from new] and my dealer tells me its to be changed at 40,000 miles on the clock

JHMEG wrote: »
    That'd be because of the faulty gf50 idler pulley in the Vectra-B which even made it onto BBC's Watchdog.

Google "vectra c cam belt failure" then. Various reports on trusted owners sites such as vectra-c.com and on honestjohn site especially for 19DTH engine.

The change or not to change question always seems to rear its ugly head with all things Opel.

Its not something I would be willing to tke the chance on

From honesjohn.co.uk

On 1.9CDTI, timing belt drives waterpump and waterpump failure can fling it off in as little as 40k miles, wrecking the engine. By December 2008 this was becoming increasingly common at about 4 years old and circa 50k - 60k miles. So engines need new belts, tensioners, pulleys and waterpumps before 4 years old or 50k miles.

Pretty much the advice I got from 2 main dealers....just covering their arses I suppose

Advertisement