Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom help needed

• 13-01-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I ordered Eircom broadband bundle last week (wireless router is being sent out to me), there was no active landline here in the flat in Rathmines. Eircom came out, installed the line and activated it. I rang up sales and ordered Talk and Broadband bundle. I so dont want Eircom, but wanted Broadband, and to get Broadband i need a line installed, and cos its Eircom's infrastructure i thought they were the only ones that could come out and install the line. I have signed nothing, and have given no bank details. I have plugged nothing into the phone line, so no phone calls and no broadband has been used.
    Can i pull out of this, seeing as i didnt sign anything?
    I would much prefer to go with Magnet, Smart or UPC here in Rathmines. I think €61 for 7MB and 50Gb cap a month is not very good value.
    Can i have your comments and thoughts, can i cancel out of the contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How long since you ordered? You have 7 days after placing an order to back out. After that, it's at eircom's discretion. Not signing anything is not necessarily going to protect you. If you ordered over the phone then it's a verbal contract, still binding, and if you ordered online, that's as good as a written contract.

Since they came out to install the line, you may be liable to pay for that. Also, eircom lines come with a 6 month contract now, so you can't move to any other DSL provider (Magnet, Smart, etc) without either paying off this 6 months rental, or waiting 6 months with eircom.

If you wanted UPC, you shouldn't have ordered a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Well i ordered the line before xmas. Engineer came out after xmas and installed the line. I only ordered Broadband yesterday. I havent been billed yet, or received the wireless router. I am going to ring them up today and say im moving out of my rented accommodation i am in. I am not actually that hopeful of getting out of the contract. All i can do is try though. :-(
    Thanks for your reply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At the very least your stuck with the telephone line on a 6 month contract and the install fee's (if they apply in your case).

You could always cancel the phone line but you'd have to pay whatever contract buyout fee that applys. (if you ordered the phone line BEFORE 1st December 2009 you may not be in a 6 month contract)

As you only ordered the Broadband you can cancel that no bother at this stage under your 7 day cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks Cabaal. What would you do in my shoes, can i ask? Would you pay Eircom for 6 months of phone line rental that i am not going to get anything out of, just so i can go to another provider, or..?
    I definitely didn't order before Dec 1st.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    At the very least your stuck with the telephone line on a 6 month contract and the install fee's (if they apply in your case).

You could always cancel the phone line but you'd have to pay whatever contract buyout fee that applys. (if you ordered the phone line BEFORE 1st December 2009 you may not be in a 6 month contract)

As you only ordered the Broadband you can cancel that no bother at this stage under your 7 day cooling off period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

I'm moving into an apartment soon where I want to get eircom broadband. Its wired and everything. I want to get the 7mb broadband which is about €39.99. I dont want a phone line with this, just broadband.....do I still have to pay line rental or do I just pay the €39.99 a month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't not get a phone line, and you have to pay the line rental. Your other options are cable or wireless, if there's anything available.

Advertisement