Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread-starting limits

Options
  • 13-01-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭

I notice someone's gone on a thread-starting binge over on AH again - three locked in the space of a few minutes.

Considering that and the fact that mos spamemrs post in as many forums as possible as quickly as possible (also causing extra work for mods) would it be an idea to introduce a thread-starting limit? Say one or two per day, to stop the frivolousness/fivolity whatever the word is?

Just an iadea (and my thread for the day!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Just to clarify.

They were locked because they were troll threads by the same poster.
    That poster was banned for a short time.

Spam is different altogether and a different line of approach is taken in that instance.

Spam is sometimes posted in an already existing thread, so mods rely heavily on posters reporting what they see.

Again just to clear it up, the threads that were locked were trolling threads and not spam.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At the same time, it might be an idea to require at least one or two posts before a user can start a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not suer if it matters - they threads are still annoying regardless of why they are started. I see your point about spam appearing everywhere, when when I've seen it, it's been started in a new thread.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Does boards have much of a problem with spammers creating multiple threads?

If such a limit was implemented, surely that means that boards is treating all users as spammers. The current system of reporting threads and users seems to be a good system to me.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

koth wrote: »
    Does boards have much of a problem with spammers creating multiple threads?.

99.9% of sitebans are down to spammers.
    A lot of them create multiple threads, but are deleted in one go by an Admin.
    the deletions and sitebans are done quickly enough for it not to be noticed by most of this sites members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Beruthiel wrote: »
    the deletions and sitebans are done quickly enough for it not to be noticed by most of this sites members.
    Ninjas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Beruthiel wrote: »

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually seen a spam post on boards.ie. They must be dealt with very rapidly. Well done to boards.ie staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If it were a problem to such an extent that it were to annoy the admins excessively, id say this would have already been implemented.

Good idea though.

I see a future for you kid :p

Have you considered season 3 of the apprentice?

Advertisement