Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six-year old film...

• 13-01-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what actually happens to film when it goes out of date.
    After borrowing my dad's Nikon FM2, I realised that the only roll of 35mm film left in the house went out of date in 2004 :eek:
    Basically, is it worth shooting with it/paying to have it developed? Will the colours just be weird (which could be interesting!) or would it simply not work?

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It would work alright but really depends...

To me I would love that roll of film now and go shoot lots of different things and see mad colors..
    To you you could go off and shoot some lovely landscapes and sunsets etc and see mad colors and hate it..

It depends on what you shoot imo.. cause with weird colors you have to shoot something that's not often shot something that weird colors wont ruin... I shot a photo of a friend on 4 year out of date fuji pro and I loved it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

It depends on a number of factors, the ISO ..the lower the better chance of survival , it though probably will have some colour shift. It also depends on the manufacturer in my experience. I have some 5-6 year old Fuji Pro 400 35mm and it still gives great results. see below.

but only way to know is to try it....

3756194556_11de1e1ef3_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I've sent rolls of film in for development 10 years after shooting them. One was colour negative, the other was slide. In both cases there were some interesting colour casts but overall the final images were actually fine and pretty much as I would have expected them to look.

It's worth exposing & developing that roll as an experiment, just to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Simplicius wrote: »
    It depends on a number of factors, the ISO ..the lower the better chance of survival , it though probably will have some colour shift. It also depends on the manufacturer in my experience. I have some 5-6 year old Fuji Pro 400 35mm and it still gives great results. see below.

but only way to know is to try it....

3756194556_11de1e1ef3_m.jpg

technically its Fuji Superia 400 now! pro 400 is exactly the same as superia 400 only it can be bought in bulk and has been refrigerated during storage, its supposed to be anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Cheers folks! Should have said, it's Fuji, ISO 200.

And @dazftw, mad colours sound good to me!

I've already taken a few shots with it, so I think i'll keep going and see how it turns out. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement