Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Music Therapy in UL

Options
  • 14-01-2010 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,
    I would be very interested to hear of anyones experience in the MA in Music Therapy. I wouldn't be ready to do it for at least 5/6 years, but just curious...

My questions are:
    1. Being a full time course, do you know of any students who travel from Dublin to the course. Are your required to be there on a daily basis ?

2. Is there any talk of any colleges holding a masters in music therapy in Dublin ?

3. I thought Master courses are generally part time..........why is this full time ? And again would you imagine this might become an option in later times...

Thanks for taking the time to answer :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭finnezzia

hi nazar. 10 months is a long time to wait for a reply I know but didn't see this and hope it'll be of some help. 1) Yes, one of the girls on the course travels from Dublin (others from Cork and Carlow). Lectures are two days a week (for us wed and thurs), and then you have placement one day a week in semister 2 and 3, and two days a week in the final semister. This placement you get assigned and have pretty much no say in where it is. At the moment people are placed in dublin, ennis, limerick and belfast and it's kinda luck of the draw - though I'd say sayin as your from dublin you'd have a good chance of getting one there. So your only required to be in Limerick two days. Anyone who travels is getting on well, though it adds to the stress of all the assignments and stuff, and to be honest, I couldn't do it - mostly because I'm not organised enough. If you can, I would live in Limerick, but basically if you need to keep a job in Dublin or something, it can easily be done. (remember as well that the cost of weekly travel and b'n'b's or the travelodge will add up too). 2) No idea. really you depending there on someone who's qualified enough coming in and setting one up, and I think that's probably unlikely for now. But I suppose if the demand was there it could happen. If you've a few years to wait you might get lucky. 3) I can't imagine this course going part time any time in the near future. I'm not sure your right about most masters being part-time either, anybody I know doing a masters it's full-time. Thing is, the lectures are kinda part time (2 days) but then your placements take up the rest of the time and you have to do a research project in final year. So how you would make that part time I dont know. Anyway. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Advertisement