Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How someone conducts themselves in a debate can win or lose a shedload of votes. While not a debate as such how much stick has moany Joan Burton come in for after her woeful performance on VB last week, her attitude and comments really turned potential voters off her.

Another notable TV debate that severely hurt a candidate was the Bush/Gore match up where Gore came across as a bit of a bully who was cut down to size by a single nod of Bushes head.

The big daddy of the all has to be Kennedy Vs Nixon, that debate was a major factor in the defeat of Nixon and a prime example of how appearances and the public perception of a candidate can make or break a campaign.

Perhaps Enda should remember that before he starts throwing a wobbler, TV is the primary medium through which politicians get their message across and any snub or infantile spat he has with a (highly popular) TV presenter will only end badly for him.

These debates are significant but imo that is a sad statement on the way politics is conducted. The fact that people would base their vote not on years of following politics but on a debate that lasts an hour or an hour and a half. In my view it's X-Factor style, style over substance BS.

We're not trying to choose the head of the debating society but who should govern the country and all this media fanfare over who looked the most comfortable, push the red button for who you thought won, etc. To me it's a shallow sideshow designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I do think that Kenny comes across as petulant and scared by not wanting to face Browne but I really hope the media doesn't turn this important election into a great big soap opera. It's food for thought too that the British whipped themselves into a frenzy for Clegg during the first TV debate over there and this boosted him in the polls. Since he's been in government he's been panned by a large section of those who previously supported him, particularly students. It's very silly if you ask me to base a vote on a programme that has been staged, rehearsed and masterminded by spin doctors, PR men etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

These debates are significant but imo that is a sad statement on the way politics is conducted. The fact that people would base their vote not on years of following politics but on a debate that lasts an hour or an hour and a half. In my view it's X-Factor style, style over substance BS.

We're not trying to choose the head of the debating society but who should govern the country and all this media fanfare over who looked the most comfortable, push the red button for who you thought won, etc. To me it's a shallow sideshow designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I do think that Kenny comes across as petulant and scared by not wanting to face Browne but I really hope the media doesn't turn this important election into a great big soap opera. It's food for thought too that the British whipped themselves into a frenzy for Clegg during the first TV debate over there and this boosted him in the polls. Since he's been in government he's been panned by a large section of those who previously supported him, particularly students. It's very silly if you ask me to base a vote on a programme that has been staged, rehearsed and masterminded by spin doctors, PR men etc.

Clegg may have got an initial boost in the polls, but on election day, the Lib Dems did not do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Indeed, perhaps I should have asked do you recall anything of substance in the previous debates and/or anything that made an impact on decisions taken over the following 3-4 years?

While you typed the word " Indeed " I imagine there was a sigh as well,like a teacher reprimanding a wayward pupil.:D
    Yep..I can well remember it was like all the debates I ever heard..all bull and spin..we will do this we will do that,instead of saying "We will sit on our fat arses and salaries,and we wont give a crap about anyone until we are found ourt to be useless money grabbing wasters.I dont need to hear a debate to know that there is a good chance we will be wearing german soccer shirts as we support our team in the world cup;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Personally I feel this debate question is being hyped up way too much, no surprise that FF have gotten behind it, people will have forgotten about it by the time the rte debates are over. A large part of this issue has to be Vincent throwing his weight around and trying to get on an equal or higher footing than rte in terms of election coverage and ultimately current affairs broadcasting, I'm sure he is still sore about being let go from Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Personally I feel this debate question is being hyped up way too much, no surprise that FF have gotten behind it, people will have forgotten about it by the time the rte debates are over. A large part of this issue has to be Vincent throwing his weight around and trying to get on an equal or higher footing than rte in terms of election coverage and ultimately current affairs broadcasting, I'm sure he is still sore about being let go from Prime Time.

Maybe so, but think its a mistake by Kenny imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A large part of this issue has to be Vincent throwing his weight around and trying to get on an equal or higher footing than rte in terms of election coverage and ultimately current affairs broadcasting, I'm sure he is still sore about being let go from Prime Time.
    Vincent wasn't let go from Prime Time, he didn't work for them, he had a radio slot on Radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Vincent wasn't let go from Prime Time, he didn't work for them, he had a radio slot on Radio 1.

He was on it a few times and looked like he was going to become a new presenter but it didn't happen.

Let Sean O Rourke loose on them..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Jesus, the LLS is a huge steaming pile of sh*te. Looking forward to finally viewing something even halfway resembling 'light entertainment' tonight. Hope VB is in good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

(Adopts Bouncer pose)

Evening folks, have you had a good night?

Did you have a few drinks?

All right, in you go, €10 cover charge, pay at the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

A relaxed programme? I hope not!

This ad break has lasted about 10 mins now :mad:

Sardonicat wrote: »
    A relaxed programme? I hope not!

Yea, thats worrying. He's not even wearing a tie!! :eek:

SkidMark wrote: »
    (Adopts Bouncer pose)

Evening folks, have you had a good night?

Did you have a few drinks?

All right, in you go, €10 cover charge, pay at the door.

I didnt have any drink.....Thats nasal congestion.......

He was on it a few times and looked like he was going to become a new presenter but it didn't happen.
    He was a guest presenter on a few occasions but he was never going to be a presenter as it clashed with his radio show.

Vincent Browne is a fine journalist, it is worth remembering that this man was one of the few journalists that had the balls to ask Haughey where he was getting his money from. He was asking that hard questions long before tribunals were heard off and his questions didn't cost us millions. We could do with a few more journalists like him.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    This ad break has lasted about 10 mins now :mad:

What are you gonna do...turn back to Tubridy??

I think I'll stick with the ads thanks...

telekon wrote: »
    Yea, thats worrying. He's not even wearing a tie!! :eek:

Must be casual friday.

Whats with this ad break? FFS!

it is worth remembering that this man was one of the few journalists that had the balls to ask Haughey where he was getting his money from. He was asking that hard questions long before tribunals were heard off and his questions didn't cost us millions. We could do with a few more journalists like him.

Well said missus.

At last!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sorry im late JonathanA got sick in the taxi on the way over from the Late Late:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

telekon wrote: »
    Well said missus.
    Did you feel the passion?

enda's labradoodle is on the panel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Sorry im late JonathanA got sick in the taxi on the way over from the Late Late:rolleyes:

You ruined my shoes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

At least iron your t-shirt man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Gemma Hussey would run rings over anyone on the FG front bench at the moment.

She was a proper heavyweight politician.

Did you feel the passion?

Yes, right here...

4389309.jpg

Vinny's hair is looking better tonight... the TV3 hairdresser's strike must have come to an end :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Colmo52 wrote: »
    You ruined my shoes :mad:

Sorry.. :(
    I think I've left my jacket back on the LLS thread.. And I've lost my phone and my keys as well.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

VB plans on going to the daily FG press conferences now... haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is that Robert Plant?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement