Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Good old Vinnie is a bit of a flat track bully. As a result his "discussion programme" tends to degenerate readily into a Punch and Judy Show, in which he tends to beat up on any guest he feels is a soft target. As such, it's a bit pathetic to watch. And probably is attractive only to weaklings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

delaad wrote: »
    Good old Vinnie is a bit of a flat track bully. As a result his "discussion programme" tends to degenerate readily into a Punch and Judy Show, in which he tends to beat up on any guest he feels is a soft target. As such, it's a bit pathetic to watch. And probably is attractive only to weaklings.

in fairness to him though, he does what nearly everyone else watching the show does, which is get pee'd off at not getting a straight forward answer. last week with conor lenihan, lucinda creighton and mary lou was a prime example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    It was genuine alright. He included Enda's wife and kids too - and anyone else who decided to be offended.

From memory, Vincent prefaced his remarks with "Is there any truth to the rumour that"... so it was obviously a joke... I dont think he should have had to apologize for that remark.... it was funny and inoffensive imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Aye, thats what I meant by saying "anyone else who decided to be offended".

I believe there are a lot of people out there who actively seek out something to become offended about.

Even if they have nothing to do with the subject matter, they will take it upon themselves to become offended on behalf of others.

Remember all the white people who complained about Enda Kenny telling a joke with the word n1gg€r in it? The same people were out in force when Mary O'Rourke muttered something about her team working like blacks.

I don't think Vincent Browne should have to apologise either, but it was probably the best way to shut these eejits up for another few days.

I actually found Bertie Ahern's "go and commit suicide" remarks a few years ago to be far more sinister, and while the outcry was more vocal, I don't recall him making a piece to camera apology a la Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lapin wrote: »
    Remember all the white people who complained about Enda Kenny telling a joke with the word nig*er in it? The same people were out in force when Mary O'Rourke muttered something about her team working like blacks.

Boards seem to have a problem with the word ****** but then I also do, as I do with retard and other words that describe people in a negative light. I would have to hear the joke I am sure that it may have been offensive even without the word ****** in it, I can't imagine it was funny.

I think the offence part is in relation to how we deal as a nation with Suicide. Bertie did have to make an apology on how he phrased his speech, I am sure he did the apology in a much more political sensitive way towards himself, as most politicians do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What is it with Browne and Kenny/FG?
    The time Bruton decided to make the move against Kenny for the leadership, it was our Vinny egging him on on his show the night before that precipitated the move to some degree...Browne kept at him and at him about whther he would stand for leader of FG, then the very next day the move was made...
    Then you have this comment about Kenny involving suicide, which joke or not, has no place on a supposedly unbiased political show. (Yes I know he apologised)

Think Vincent might get a rap from the BCC over this one.. He directly addressed the camera (and the viewers) and said (paraphrased) "we should get this lot out".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Think Vincent might get a rap from the BCC over this one.. He directly addressed the camera (and the viewers) and said (paraphrased) "we should get this lot out".

What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wertz wrote: »
    What is it with Browne and Kenny/FG?
    The time Bruton decided to make the move against Kenny for the leadership, it was our Vinny egging him on on his show the night before that precipitated the move to some degree...Browne kept at him and at him about whther he would stand for leader of FG, then the very next day the move was made...
    Then you have this comment about Kenny involving suicide, which joke or not, has no place on a supposedly unbiased political show. (Yes I know he apologised)
    It's simple really. He has been long enough in the game to see right through the joke that is Enda Kenny, as indeed anyone with half a brain could conclude for themselves.

What's wrong with that?

It shows his bias. Regardless of if you agree with him or not, he is there to be impartial, his guests are there to provide opinion, and he is there to question that opinion weather he agrees or disagrees with such opinions.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    It shows his bias. Regardless of if you agree with him or not, he is there to be impartial, his guests are there to provide opinion, and he is there to question that opinion weather he agrees or disagrees with such opinions.

At the same time listening to some of the crap being spouted about how FF had no responsibility for the current economic climate he can be forgiven for his outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

He said ''Anyone'' who gets driven around in cars should be out of office.

At the same time listening to some of the crap being spouted about how FF had no responsibility for the current economic climate he can be forgiven for his outburst.

I was only giving a reason and it was very general. If Vincent was making a valid point in opposition to one or two of his guests then he is entitled to be critical, after all they have had the opportunity to speak.
    He said ''Anyone'' who gets driven around in cars should be out of office.

No you couldn't to that it, wouldn't save any money, I mean the high earners in most companies only represent a tiny proportion of people, to reduce their wages would not be of any benefit what so ever. And what would their drivers do?

:
    :
    :
    :

Now they might want to reduce the wages of their drivers. :rolleyes:

Sorry, if you miss my sarcasm there in that!

Is it just me or is there an echo on the program.. having trouble hearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Is it just me or is there an echo on the program.. having trouble hearing it.

Yep, something wrong with the sound. Text in.

MY god that Migrant's Rights Council wan with her new dress and hairdo really pissed me off.. Does she not think there are better things that she should be working for, for the people of Ireland at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Surely a migrant's rights person should be redundant at this stage?

Koloman wrote: »
    Surely a migrant's rights person should be redundant at this stage?

I think she was more defending her right not to be made redundant more than anything else... Another quango I think..

http://www.mrci.ie

along with..

http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/

MY god that Migrant's Rights Council wan with her new dress and hairdo really pissed me off.. Does she not think there are better things that she should be working for, for the people of Ireland at this stage...

Firstly both are NGOs not QANGOs, but I am sure you will be glad to here that the Equal Rights Authority (open to all) has been significantly been reduced in size by the Department of Justice in the last number of years www.equality.ie.

Secondly you would want to wise up as most all of our trading partners will be are many of those countries in the coming years.

Thirdly anyone living in Ireland is a person of Ireland and everyone has rights (bar the bankers who should have the key thrown away).

Elmo wrote: »
    Firstly both are NGOs not QANGOs, but I am sure you will be glad to here that the Equal Rights Authority (open to all) has been significantly been reduced in size by the Department of Justice in the last number of years www.equality.ie.
    I found them listed on another thread on politics.ie listed as being quangos (someone was questioning why both carry out effectively the same function), but you are right about the second one anyway. The Migrant's Rights Council is listed as "The MRCI is a national organisation concerned with the rights of migrant workers and their families", it does not say specifically that it is an NGO.. If you can say definitively where it's funding comes from, I will bow to your superior knowledge..
    Secondly you would want to wise up as most all of our trading partners will be are many of those countries in the coming years. Thirdly anyone living in Ireland is a person of Ireland and everyone has rights (bar the bankers who should have the key thrown away).
    The countries that the migrants come are generally not countries that Ireland exports large amounts to... (well, except if you include the exporting of Dell to Poland)..

My point is, that in these economic times, more attention should be put on those fighting for creation of jobs for ALL people here... not focusing on minority (and ever decreasing) subsections within the workforce..

• Advertisement

AFAIA both are NGOs and are community/voluntary organisations, the receive donations and the government may provide some money to them but in the last number of years government funding of all NGOs has depleted significantly.
    The countries that the migrants come are generally not countries that Ireland exports large amounts to... (well, except if you include the exporting of Dell to Poland)..

Your right Ireland and successive governments have held on to US and UK trading rather than looking outside our too main English speaking neighbours, but any American and British person is a migrant in this country. We need to significantly diversify our trading partners, indeed the head of Etihad Airways was on Five 7 Live saying how important Irealand will be for western access for many developing countries of the coming years. We need to look at trading to many other countries than just the usual, indeed we may need to look elsewhere rather than just the US and UK.
    My point is, that in these economic times, more attention should be put on those fighting for creation of jobs for ALL people here... not focusing on minority (and ever decreasing) subsections within the workforce..

There are plenty of organisations that deal specifically with job creation this is a completely different issue to Worker rights and migrant rights, if we take our eye of a small subsection of society we will inevitably kick ourselves in the ass. Minority rights are important regardless of the economic circumstances.

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/botmaintrpartners.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Former Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald is on tonight if anyone's interested

I dont mean to be cruel, but I think Garrett is not well enough in mind to be interviewed..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

Always was a clever guy. Thanks to him, I nearly joined FG. Don't always agree with him, but I always like to hear what he has to say. Would love if there had been a full panel tonight - a grand debate could have followed.

I dont mean to be cruel, but I think Garrett is not well enough in mind to be interviewed..

He seems fine to me, maybe a little laboured but that's to be expected at his age.

NOOOOO.... Fionan Sheehan

PKen wrote: »
    Would love if there had been a full panel tonight - a grand debate could have followed.

Yes Master..

genie1.gif

"Kangaroo feared dead after disco terror"

Great journalism from the Star

AOwannabe wrote: »
    NOOOOO.... Fionan Sheehan

In fairness to Fionnán, it's takes some effort to still look the same as you did when you made your communion..

See that lad that was killed in Avoca was reportedly killed in a row over the Liverpool game... They are hardly a team worth dying over... and I'm a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Garret Fitzgerald makes quite sound sense,political and business integrity disappeared in recent times

• Advertisement

Garret Fitzgerald makes quite sound sense,political and business integrity disappeared in recent times

But I think it's a lot easier to be frank and honest in your analysis when you dont have to get re-elected.. Could you imagine any scenario where Colm McCarthy would get elected?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement