Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Majorly p*ssed off. Going to bed.

Night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

To think that people still might buy Martin's rehabilitation attempt, in the context of the succinct description of FF toxicity above, worries and sickens me.
    the only thing MM is doing is keeping a sinking ship afloat until they can load more rum.

he'll never see power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

SkidMark wrote: »
    1.Cassie
    2.Sarah Mc
    3. Niamh
    4. Aine

Niamh before Lassie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

To think that people still might buy Martin's rehabilitation attempt, in the context of the succinct description of FF toxicity above, worries and sickens me.
    Agreed. The scariest thing about all of this is the gullability of the irish electorate. This is what is gonna cost us the most. I would leave now if i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

So Anglo needs another 15bn wedge then?

Its absolutely disgusting. How far into the future does the blanket guarantee last?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

JohnDee wrote: »
    I thought Merril and co put a few ideas on the table? ?

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-09-15/us/banks.bigchanges_1_investment-bank-foreign-banks-bank-of-america-plans?_s=PM:US
    The venerable Lehman Brothers investment bank said early Monday that it will file for bankruptcy, while Bank of America unveiled plans to buy Merrill Lynch -- two pieces of news that profoundly alter the American financial landscape.

Interesting fact btw lads... heard it on the radio a few weeks ago.. Merril Lynch was bought over earlier in the month when they advised our Government on the banking crisis (sept 2008)... why, you ask? Because they were bankrupt themselves..

yet they were advising our Government on financial affairs... you couldnt make this stuff up..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If they get back in i will leave my country there really is no hope if they are re elected

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-09-15/us/banks.bigchanges_1_investment-bank-foreign-banks-bank-of-america-plans?_s=PM:US

Interesting fact btw lads... heard it on the radio a few weeks ago.. Merril Lynch was bought over earlier in the month when they advised our Government on the banking crisis (sept 2008)... why, you ask? Because they were bankrupt themselves..

yet they were advising our Government on financial affairs... you couldnt make this stuff up..

It reads like something from an Absurdist script, except, if it was, it would be rejected on the grounds of being too over the top. don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Quandary wrote: »

Its absolutely disgusting. How far into the future does the blanket guarantee last?

Makes you fearful about future budgets...

Makes you fearful about future budgets...

It really does. :(

I know we have already pumped billions and billions and billions into Anglo but why dont the Govt just introduce whatever legislation they need to in order to exclude Anglo from the blanket guarantee?

Is this something that is possible & if so why hasn't it been done?

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to economics/finance so apologies in advance if this seems like an ignorant/foolish question...

• Advertisement

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-08/irish-banks-may-need-an-additional-68-billion-anglo-irish-s-dukes-says.html

50 not 15 apparently....

i'm assuming dukes is talking long term or some or twaddle. he'd prob be better to keep his mouth shut, or be very very clear in his announcements

I think legislation should be introduced to criminalize presiding over the Finance portfolio if either a) a huge Exchequer deficit occurs or b) a banking failure occurs... Politicians need to know that their lives are on the line if they buy votes with irresponsible policies. This would 'encourage' them to bring in expert financial advisors as opposed to just appeasing the unions/lobby groups.

I mean you can go to jail in this country for not having a TV license, yet you can preside over the economic collapse of your country and still collect a full state pension...

ArtSmart wrote: »
    i'm assuming dukes is talking long term or some or twaddle. he'd prob be better to keep his mouth shut, or be very very clear in his announcements

Art, I think when he said 50 in relation to ALL the banks, not just Anglo..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-08/irish-banks-may-need-an-additional-68-billion-anglo-irish-s-dukes-says.html

50 not 15 apparently....

Its staggering, just staggering how there is not large scale criminal investigations going on into this thing. Not to sound melodramatic, but massive sums of money are being stolen from people who are not yet even born.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Its staggering, just staggering how there is not large scale criminal investigations going on into this thing. Not to sound melodramatic, but massive sums of money are being stolen from people who are not yet even born.

Those who would reveal all will end up sleepin with the fishes.

ha!
    goodbody's suggesting some unsecured senior bond holders take a 50% hit - wonder never cease
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0208/economy-business.html

edit - that whole article is unsettling.

Art, I think when he said 50 in relation to ALL the banks, not just Anglo..
    phew!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

50 not 15 apparently....

The bit that gets me about that article is:
    'Patrick Honohan said last month that he would be “disappointed and surprised” if the entire 35 billion euros was needed'.

Hold on, Honohan is meant to be the guy whose word you can kinda trust.
    Do ANY of these people have a clue what they're about at all?

Morgan Kelly's "kindness of strangers" article resonates even more now.
    I'd say we're truly fcuked- next year or two should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

ha!
    goodbody's suggesting some unsecured senior bond holders take a 50% hit - wonder never cease
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0208/economy-business.html

edit - that whole article is unsettling.
    Why not they the unsecured and subordinate bondholders to go suck a lemon? For them to take a 50% haircut will save us 10 Billion, if we tell them to go swing then thats 20 billion in total. I'd rather we had it then them tbh.

[QUOTE=take everything;70548583]The bit that gets me about that article is:
    'Patrick Honohan said last month that he would be “disappointed and surprised” if the entire 35 billion euros was needed'.

Hold on, Honohan is meant to be the guy whose word you can kinda trust.
    Do ANY of these people have a clue what they're about at all?

Morgan Kelly's "kindness of strangers" article resonates even more now.
    I'd say we're truly fcuked- next year or two should be fun.[/QUOTE]
    for me it's the possible 20 years of austerity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭pennypocket

Ah .. elaine byrne has lost all credibility.. her an "expert" in politics and running a website on political reform, and concurrently pulling a big academic wage from the state... Then gives out to other people for not running in this election, when she should be the one putting her money where her mouth is..
    The media does tend to cannibilise all that comes before it. She does have a very timely book on Irish corruption 1922 to 1990 coming out soon which should be an interesting read. Not all people who suggest political reform should have to stand on a ticket. We need independent and (hopefully) politically neutral individuals to call out bull**** when they see it.

We need independent and (hopefully) politically neutral individuals to call out bull**** when they see it.

I actually agree with a lot of what she says.. I dont know if you saw the first episode of The Eleventh Hour (RTE) there a while back... she had a right go at Dunphy and McWilliams for not standing, while she was prepared to sit on the ditch in her comfortable state job and do nothing herself.

Dunphy, being quite old, said something like "Elaine, you're a young woman....." prefacing a remark to her.... him meaning that her (being young) would be in a better position to take on the job, and she completely jumped down his throat, misinterpreting his remark as if it was Andy Gray she was speaking to..

Easy just to sit up in UCD and write a few books about political reform, having a go at everybody else, than actually doing something to make a change herself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but he has that lovely lisp. I'm a sucker for a man with a lisp. I could tolerate his voice alone.

Thho, Mth Thardonicat. You thtill thay thith Conthtantine it very thexy and thopithticated eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Dunphy, being quite old, said something like "Elaine, you're a young woman....." prefacing a remark to her.... him meaning that her (being young) would be in a better position to take on the job, and she completely jumped down his throat, misinterpreting his remark as if it was Andy Gray she was speaking to..

It seems as if every woman on TV now has issues when being called She, Her, Woman, Lady or any other general word used to describe the opposite sex.
    Andy Gray has allot to answer for.

However I am thinking that most of the commons on here about some of the good looking female guest might not go down too well. Andy Grey has allot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I actually agree with a lot of what she says.. I dont know if you saw the first episode of The Eleventh Hour (RTE) there a while back... she had a right go at Dunphy and McWilliams for not standing, while she was prepared to sit on the ditch in her comfortable state job and do nothing herself.

Easy just to sit up in UCD and write a few books about political reform, having a go at everybody else, than actually doing something to make a change herself..
    I'd feel the opposite. I gained a lot of respect for her when she called Dunphy on his bullsh1t. He's been spoofing from the sidelines for years and dragging himself along on the coat-tails of others.
    His response was pathetic - basically he did a Joan on it i.e. call the other person sexist when you can't come up with a better response.

If he did run for the Dáil his ego wouldn't be satisfied with being a mere backbencher - he'd have to be Taoiseach. It wasn't all that long ago Dunphy was licking McGreevy's and Harney's ass on his radio show. He's all about talking the talk though..........

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I'd feel the opposite. I gained a lot of respect for her when she called Dunphy on his bullsh1t. He's been spoofing from the sidelines for years and dragging himself along on the coat-tails of others.

well you're making the assumption that Dunphy was disingenuous in his attempts to run for office, which I think is unfair... either way, he is a 65 year old ex footballer turned journalist... Elaine Byrne is in her early thirties, is a journalist, consultant and political analyst and lectures at Trinity College Dublin. I mean who would be more suited to bring about change???

And she's having a go at a man who is at retirement age for not having more of a go?

And she's having a go at a man who is at retirement age for not having more of a go?
    She's having a go at a spoofer for spoofing.
    Dunphy will dine out on the story of how he almost ran for office for years as though that in itself was an achievement. His claim that he's worked for years "for the people" is more bullsh1t. He's worked for years for his own big fat paycheck and nothing else.
    Why is she obliged to run for office? Because she comments on politics? If that's the case then every pub in the country should have a couple of hundred candidates running for election.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    He's worked for years for his own big fat paycheck and nothing else.

She's paid a fortune for lecturing by the government (y'know the one that she criticises so much), and gets to publish private projects as well.. job is hugely overpaid, permanent, pensionable.. etc etc
    Why is she obliged to run for office?

did I say that she was obliged to run for office? No, I didnt.. My point is that she does NOT have the right to criticise a pensioner for not running for office, when she is not prepared to do it herself...As I would say about any citizen criticising another citizen who's not prepared to run for office.. That's my main point..

My secondary point on this is the irony. The irony is, politics is what she has spent her life studying and lecturing in politics, history and political reform, telling us all "how things should be" and pointing out everything that is wrong.. So if there was anybody that you would think would be most suited to running for office, creating a new movement (as Dunphy etc were trying to do), pushing for political reforms, it would be her..
    Because she comments on politics? If that's the case then every pub in the country should have a couple of hundred candidates running for election.

Made "a few" comments has she? It's her life's work ffs..

Dr. Elaine Byrne
    is a lecturer, journalist, consultant and political analyst.

Dr Byrne is an adjutant lecturer at the Department of Political Science at Trinity College Dublin and teaches Irish Politics and Comparative Political Reform. Elaine is a co-editor of www.politicalreform.ie established under the aegis of the Political Studies Association of Ireland (PSAI). She was awarded her PhD from the University of Limerick in 2007.

Her first book, A Crooked Harp: Political Corruption in Ireland 1922-2010, will be published by Manchester University Press, forthcoming Spring 2011. She has acted as a consultant for the United Nations and the World Bank on governance and media issues.

Elaine is a regular Irish Times contributor, writing on Irish politics and social issues, political reform, corruption, Northern Ireland and Irish history. She has also written for the Guardian. She is a regular broadcaster and writer and her work has appeared in Irish and international newspapers, radio and TV programmes and documentaries. She was a guest reporter for RTÉ Prime Time May 2010 on the Iceland economic collapse.

She's paid a fortune for lecturing by the government (y'know the one that she criticises so much), and gets to publish private projects as well.. job is hugely overpaid, permanent, pensionable.. etc etc
    It's ironic that you bring up pay. If you compared her pay with Dunphy's I suspect you might be have to re-calibrate which one is "hugely overpaid" and being paid "a fortune".
    did I say that she was obliged to run for office? No, I didnt.. My point is that she does NOT have the right to criticise a pensioner for not running for office, when she is not prepared to do it herself...As I would say about any citizen criticising another citizen who's not prepared to run for office.. That's my main point..
    If it's your main point it's pure bollox. One can't criticise anyone else unless one is prepared to do his/her job? I guess we better lay off Enda, Eamonn and Michael unless we're prepared to lead a political party. None of us can criticise anyone else until we're prepared to drop what we're doing and do what they do? This is your logical argument? Really?
    Made "a few" comments has she? It's her life's work ffs..
    Frankly I never heard of her until she started appearing on a few of Vinnie's programs.

I don't know much about Byrne but from the little I've seen she spouts a lot less shoite than Dunphy does. Eamonn sits a lot more comfortably in the cosy media consensus that you'll see especially on RTE TV and radio programs where the same guests keep getting invited back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What do you actually know of her job? She graduated in 2007 and is only publishing her first book this year, she's hardly established and probably neither permanent nor pensionable atm. I know nothing about the woman but I think you are being seriously hyperbolic in your condemnation of her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement