Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

Elaine Byrne is not "paid by the government" she criticises, she's paid by Trinity College, and she is paid by them because she is a good researcher and lecturer. They get much of their funding from the state coffers, but that does not and should not make them a government mouthpiece. We do not live in North Korea, though it may seem like we do sometimes! She is as entitled to an opinion as anyone else, and given that she has a level of expertise in how government functions, her opinions are more informed than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

DeepBlue wrote: »
    If it's your main point it's pure bollox.
    well I obviously think similar of your point, but I'm polite enough that I wouldnt put it that.. have a bit of respect would you?
    One can't criticise anyone else unless one is prepared to do his/her job? I guess we better lay off Enda, Eamonn and Michael unless we're prepared to lead a political party.

She was criticising Dunphy for NOOOOOOOTTTT running.. Dunphy was going to run for the Dáil but then didnt, he was going to put himself forward as part of a new movement to help the country, but didnt.. of course she doesnt have to run herself, but she doesnt have the right to criticise somebody else for (doing the same as she did) and not run...
    Elaine Byrne is not "paid by the government" she criticises, she's paid by Trinity College,
    I could be wrong on this but I assumed that Trinity was paid for by the state? Maybe somebody could clear this up?

What do you actually know of her job? She graduated in 2007 and is only publishing her first book this year, she's hardly established and probably neither permanent nor pensionable atm.
    I know about her work from what I've read on her website.. If she's not well paid then I'll accept that point no bother.. but I would assume that lecturers, from my own experience in college, are very well paid..
    I know nothing about the woman but I think you are being seriously hyperbolic in your condemnation of her.

It's more disappointment to be honest.. The way she was speaking a few months ago, and her straight talking and thinking about political reform made me think that she would have more to contribute to the actual political running of Ireland, than just commentary and giving out to others who dont run... I'd certainly be interested to hear her on other panel shows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I know about her work from what I've read on her website.. If she's not well paid then I'll accept that point no bother.. but I would assume that lecturers, from my own experience in college, are very well paid..

I think she is well paid but I would not say 'very well paid' but that is also down to opinion, you'd have to give a ballpark figure to clarify this. However, she can't have been in her position for even 3 years and I doubt its been that long, so I don't think she's far off the starting wage in TCD.

It's more disappointment to be honest.. The way she was speaking a few months ago, and her straight talking and thinking about political reform made me think that she would have more to contribute to the actual political running of Ireland, than just commentary and giving out to others who dont run... I'd certainly be interested to hear her on other panel shows...

Its also important that people outside of the government offer opinions and a counterweight to the government. I do agree its a bit rich to tell dunph to run and then not accept the same suggestion, but you already pointed out that she is working with the politicalreform site, plus she is only starting out in her career and would be mad to pass up a chance to try to establish herself or keep a job at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

well I obviously think similar of your point, but I'm polite enough that I wouldnt put it that.. have a bit of respect would you?
    I gave your argument (as you presented it) the respect it deserved. ;)
    I think she is well paid but I would not say 'very well paid' but that is also down to opinion, you'd have to give a ballpark figure to clarify this. However, she can't have been in her position for even 3 years and I doubt its been that long, so I don't think she's far off the starting wage in TCD.
    Without knowing either her or Dunphy's take home pay I can comfortably say his is higher and probably by quite a margin for doing (what I would consider) less work.

In any case if she's a political consultant then she can do far more as a consultant to the Government on political reform than she could do a member of a opposition, bankbench, independent, group of egos.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

She's paid a fortune for lecturing by the government (y'know the one that she criticises so much), and gets to publish private projects as well.. job is hugely overpaid, permanent, pensionable.. etc etc
    http://www.tcd.ie/Staff_Office/assets/pdf/Schedule_2_1_1_10%20_2_.pdf
    If she's been there 3 years then that's the princely sum of €40,741. And she's paid to lecture students; if she wants to criticize FF in her spare time, so what? Are all public servants required to support the standing government?
    (that's if she's permanent, she may have been hired as a contract lecturer. Funnily enough every right winger in the country seems convinced there's no such thing as fixed term contracts in the public service!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Good news for all you Constantin fans, On tonight's show ...
    Pat Rabbitte, Alan Dukes, S.Fleming**, Constantin Gurdgiev, Damien English discuss the hard choices on economy & deficit. Liveblog: PoliticoTV.ie

** Dunno who S.Fleming is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

SkidMark wrote: »
    Good news for all you Constantin fans, On tonight's show ...

** Dunno who S.Fleming is.

Sean, I presume, your typical FF gombeen man.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Gurdgiev will tear into Dukes hopefully. :)

Rabbitte on again? He was only just on Prime Time. Give him a rest or he will be sleepy on Vinnie like last time. Obviously Labour only have two members they can trust on these shows - Rabbitte and Quinn. A Labour led Govt would be terrible in terms of a strong competent team. Labour supporting FG and Quinn and Rabbitte being given important departments is a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Dukes?? nice. I'd like to know wtf he's on about re: the banks.

• Advertisement

SB-08 wrote: »

Rabbitte on again? He was only just on Prime Time. Give him a rest or he will be sleepy on Vinnie like last time. Obviously Labour only have two members they can trust on these shows - Rabbitte and Quinn. A Labour led Govt would be terrible in terms of a strong competent team. Labour supporting FG and Quinn and Rabbitte being given important departments is a better idea.
    yes, but who for Taoiseach?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

ArtSmart wrote: »
    He's on about gouging the Irish taxpayer for every penny they have and giving it to himself and his banker buddies I believe.

I wondered about him too Art, but you have to remember he HAS to say particular things with the position he is in.. I think he's redefined the word understatement with the way he nonchalantly throws around figures relating to the banks..

I used to like Dukes but he's gone native since he went to Anglo, demanding more and more billions for them without batting an eyelid.

He speaks with an air of entitlement about the bailout for Anglo which is hard to stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

SB-08 wrote: »

Unless you know for a fact that Joan Burton is in tucked up in bed that's very unfair, she's been seen often on tv during this election, she was on Frontline just on Monday. Besides she's unlikely to show up on Vincent's show again between the sexism comments and vincent's gift grub piece last night (which unlike the original interview was pretty rude and bullying and served no good purpose). Point is you don't know where she is now or what campaign event she might be at.
    On a similar note Gilmore was obviously on the tv3 leader debate show and Ivana Bacik was on Frontline too (or a similar RTE show, they all look the same to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dukes regularly appeared on panel discussions talking about the issues of the week up til recently - it did my head in! Now finally, he's copped on that he's only allowed to speak on matters related to Anglo.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

I know its not the right place to ask, but anyone know where fine gael are getting all the funding or backing for this campaign because it looks like they have a serious amount of cash flow and candidates:eek::eek::eek:

here we go.....

flemming is actually handy enough on the battlefield.

Sean Fleming is front bench spokesperson for "public sector reform"...

....yea, yea, yea Fianna Fail, ye're all about the reform aren't ye? :rolleyes:

Jaysus lads, who swallows this rubbish??

• Advertisement

this is a sales presentation from dukes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

"Constantin might be with us twice over" on funny friday. Mario must be coming back to do his impressions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Dukes reminds me of a surgeon who has just given you bad news and is practised at conveying to a patient that an amputation and industrial strength chemo are nothing ot be afraid off...

telekon wrote: »
    Sean Fleming is front bench spokesperson for "public sector reform"...

....yea, yea, yea Fianna Fail, ye're all about the reform aren't ye? :rolleyes:

Jaysus lads, who swallows this rubbish??
    the term is 'fluff n bluff' as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Vinnie gets very cross with Dukes and usually takes him down a peg or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I preferred Alan Dukes as Magneto.

dukes, you're full of shiite

Corsendonk wrote: »
    "Constantin might be with us twice over" on funny friday. Mario must be coming back to do his impressions!

Thats the second time VB has 'subtley' alluded to Mario Rosenstock...like we're all still going to get a big surprise when he comes on screen. :rolleyes:

Come on Vincent, its an adult audience you have...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Dukes reminds me of a surgeon who has just given you bad news and is practised at conveying to a patient that an amputation and industrial strength chemo are nothing ot be afraid off...

How about a labotomy then on the bank?

• Advertisement

Stoopid duplicate post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement