Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ascanbe wrote: »
    He's not really an economist, anyway He's an 'economist' for a private business, 'Friends First'

Yeah, these panel shows label people "economists" as if they are independent academics or observers.... without adding the disclaimer that they definitively represent the views of a vested interest, and are consequently putting their own spin on things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think Vinny is getting burnt out from doing these extended programmes :(

I agree, he is very tired.

Another 'live or recorded' update just for you, MrsD, The Late Late Show on Friday week will be pre-recorded, because RTE need the studio on Friday.

Apparently there is an election on that day (Presumably they wouldn't have time to arrange the set overnight).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

SkidMark wrote: »
    I agree, he is very tired.

Another 'live or recorded' update just for you, MrsD, The Late Late Show on Friday week will be pre-recorded, because RTE need the studio on Friday.

Apparently there is an election on that day (Presumably they wouldn't have time to arrange the set overnight).
    Wonder will they be edit out the dead pan expressions on the guests' faces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gallinini

I bet Mr. Lynch is relieved she is spending Valentines with Vinny B :D
    This isnt a beauty contest . Its supposted to be about what people stand for and believe. So bringing peoples looks into it really is below the belt and downright nasty. And with all the talk about online bullying ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Craebear wrote: »
    Wow that lady was actually talking sense. Too bad people are too thick to understand it.
    she took common sense criticism of media, what it is, the power it has, etc etc and turned it into conspiracy theory 'everyone's in on it' theories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

gallinini wrote: »
    This isnt a beauty contest . Its supposted to be about what people stand for and believe. So bringing peoples looks into it really is below the belt and downright nasty. And with all the talk about online bullying ......
    I think mrs d was referring to Ms Lynch's monotone, not her looks. And while i agree with Kathleen on most points she made tonight, she didn't come across very well. maybe the lady is tired tonight or unwell, but she was very hard to listen to.

Craebear wrote: »
    Wow that lady was actually talking sense. Too bad people are too thick to understand it.
    Absolutely agree with you. Not only do they not understand her they mock her too... sound familiar

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ah I think it is time you turned on your sense of humour button. Kathleen Lynch is a very bright and intelligent woman but her message is lost at this time of night, she comes across is a very sorrowful way :(

I think you should retract your bullying remark, that is completely out of order. I made no remark about her appearance, I was referring to her tone.

imme wrote: »
    she took common sense criticism of media, what it is, the power it has, etc etc and turned it into conspiracy theory 'everyone's in on it' theories
    Yes the power it has on issues being discussed. no conspiracy theories just they dictate what is to be discussed and especially the likes of Pat Kenny et al. you dont think they are going to bring up how they are living on crazy salaries do you ? Of course not there not fools are they. Everyone one of them is looking out for no 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Shock horror, old lady loses it!

Send to the Conspiracy Theories thread.

Genuinely, though, what was 'Conspiracy theory' about what she said? It's clear that organised media has been pushing a certain agenda in this country for year's. It's clearly obvious that Tony O'Reilly pulled the plug on the Tribune, which he used as a bulwark against competitors like the Sunday Times, in order to give the Sunday Independent a clear run at discrediting/damaging Labour and SF in the run up to this election, as he doesn't wish either party to be anywhere near power.
    It's well known and acknowledged by those involved that FF had a meeting with O'Reilly prior to the last election; the Independent then supported FF once they had clarified that they were on-board with O'Reilly's agenda.
    This isn't 'conspiracy theory' stuff; it's plainly obvious.

• Advertisement

Ah I think it is time you turned on your sense of humour button. Kathleen Lynch is a very bright and intelligent woman but her message is lost at this time of night, she comes across is a very sorrowful way :(

I think you should retract your bullying remark, that is completely out of order. I made no remark about her appearance, I was referring to her tone.
    Ihave a wonderful sense of humour and referring to her tone was left up to ones interpretation as to why her husband was glad she was with VB on Valentines night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Genuinely, though, what was 'Conspiracy theory' about what she said? It's clear that organised media has been pushing a certain agenda in this country for year's. It's clearly obvious that Tony O'Reilly pulled the plug on the Tribune, which he used as a bulwark against competitors like the Sunday Times, in order to give the Sunday Independent a clear run at discrediting/damaging Labour and SF in the run up to this election, as he doesn't wish either party to be anywhere near power.
    It's well known and acknowledged by those involved that FF had a meeting with O'Reilly prior to the last election; the Independent then supported FF once they had clarified that they were on-board with O'Reilly's agenda.

she was ott.
    In terms of the media newspapers have been trying to control the political/social agenda since for ever. William Martin Murphy, and the Indo of the day, and the Lock Out, nothing new.
    He was centrally involved in the Lock Out and the media and political campaign in support of it.

In terms of the Tribune I suspect that Denis O'Brien has more to do with it's demise. I believe he was behind the sale of the lossmaking UK Independent.

Newspapers have agendas, wow shock horror:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Ihave a wonderful sense of humour and referring to her tone was left up to ones interpretation as to why her husband was glad she was with VB on Valentines night.
    I'm delighted that you have a sense of humour :) we need one for the times we are living in. Kathleen is a very capable individual who has written a number of books on equality and social justice etc., she has been on the show before and has put in much stronger performances. Tonight, she didn't sound herself. I found her tone very depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

your spot on, also the fact that the polls are rigged and all of european funding fine gael are getting for this campaign! Europe needs the blueshirts in power, people in this country really have there head up their own arses until its too late!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think mrs d was referring to Ms Lynch's monotone, not her looks. And while i agree with Kathleen on most points she made tonight, she didn't come across very well. maybe the lady is tired tonight or unwell, but she was very hard to listen to.
    Wouldnt you be tired reading all those boring party policy papers all day. Considering all that she did very well and made the most sense of all ive heard all night.

:rolleyes:
    I'm delighted that you have a sense of humour :) we need one for the times we are living in. Kathleen is a very capable individual who has written a number of books on equality and social justice etc., she has been on the show before and has put in much stronger performances. Tonight, she didn't sound herself. I found her tone very depressing :(
    You must remember she had read most of the policies of the parties today .. no wonder she seemed tired and monotone. Who wouldnt ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

PC went bulupas. what i miss/

Tonights VB show is terrible. Never heard so many on one panel unable to speak clearly. Everything is "emmmm, ahhhhh, errrrr". Even yer one reading the papers can't string a few words out. Desperate telly altogether. Christ on a bike.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i thought it was one of the very few probs where vinny and the others let the othe person actually talk. for the majority of the time.

what VB's have you been watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

she was ott.
    In terms of the media newspapers have been trying to control the political/social agenda since for ever. William Martin Murphy, and the Indo of the day, and the Lock Out, nothing new.
    He was centrally involved in the Lock Out and the media and political campaign in support of it.

In terms of the Tribune I suspect that Denis O'Brien has more to do with it's demise. I believe he was behind the sale of the lossmaking UK Independent.

Newspapers have agendas, wow shock horror:rolleyes:

Well, you'd be wrong, regarding the Tribune, as i believe it was Independent holdings that pulled the plug on it.
    And you agree that media-outlets are prone to having an agenda? Is it that outlandish to suggest that certain parties/persons may control media within a particular country to the extent that it could be a problem/stifle debate?
    If someone asks that question, are they really veering into the realms of 'conspiracy theory'?
    Clearly not; so drop the :rolleyes: sh*te.

no.

she didnt.

• Advertisement

so, em, after hours then?

i'm buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Methinks a certain weariness of it all has overcome us:( I'm taking to the garden to do something productive and listen to the birds instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrrolls

aah vincenzo - "tha tha thats extraordinary.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dr Mary Attenborough

RayM wrote: »
    John McGuirk, of 'New Vision', formerly of Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, the Green Party, Libertas and the National Alliance. Managed Declan Ganley's 2009 European election campaign. His CV seems every bit as obnoxious as his political views and general demeanour.

John McGuirk is not a 'New Vision' candidate nor is he a member. Fís Nua (New Vision) is an officially registered political party. We have a wide and comprehensive manifesto covering the end to the bank bailout, for social justice, sustainability, a steady-state economy, greater democracy with devolution of power and an end to corruption. More information can be found on our website www.fisnua.com.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

ArtSmart wrote: »
    'cept the 'all will suffer' bit. :D
    Yeah, I think that phrase is destined for a sample...
    All will suffer <scratch scratch wakka wakka> All will suffer <scratch scratch wakka wakka> Public Enemy in da house!

John McGuirk is not a 'New Vision' candidate nor is he a member. Fís Nua (New Vision) is an officially registered political party. We have a wide and comprehensive manifesto covering the end to the bank bailout, for social justice, sustainability, a steady-state economy, greater democracy with devolution of power and an end to corruption. More information can be found on our website www.fisnua.com.
    Sounds like the US Tea Party to me. A gang of rightwing pocketliners who have been found out royally at the polls trying to re-invent themselves as some sort of grassroots social conscience movement.
    Spare us. It's transparent tripe. Just go home to FF and Libertas and we'll pretend you didn't embarrass yourselves with this.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dr Mary Attenborough

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Sounds like the US Tea Party to me. A gang of rightwing pocketliners who have been found out royally at the polls trying to re-invent themselves as some sort of grassroots social conscience movement.
    Spare us. It's transparent tripe. Just go home to FF and Libertas and we'll pretend you didn't embarrass yourselves with this.:rolleyes:

Dan_Solo, why have you quoted me explaining that John McGuirk is not standing for Fís Nua (New Vision), nor is he a member, before your comment? I can assure you that we have no ex-Fianna Fáil candidates and certainly no ex-Libertas candidates and we are a grassroots social conscience movement that has spent nearly a year building up our new party Fís Nua (New Vision). We have an open and transparent party structure. We have wide ranging social justice, democratic and anti-corruption policies and policies for economic regeneration based ending the bank bailout and on local and ecologically friendly industry and a steady-state economy.

Fís Nua is standing five candidates in this election: Cllr Pat Kavanagh and Gerry Kinsella in Wicklow; Dr Ben Nutty in Waterford; Liam Johnston in Dublin Central; and Peadar Ó Ceallaigh in Dublin South East.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056171319
    This should make New Vision's position clearer...:eek:
    I think you should drop "New Vision" entirely from your name (even if you had it first) to distinguish yourself from these guys.
    Apologies for confusing the two groups, and I certainly wish you more luck in the election than I wish the Green Party!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056171319
    This should make New Vision's position clearer...:eek:
    I think you should drop "New Vision" entirely from your name (even if you had it first) to distinguish yourself from these guys.
    Apologies for confusing the two groups, and I certainly wish you more luck in the election than I wish the Green Party!

Fis Nua and New Vision are 2 separate parties.

Anyway.

In relation to the end of VB last night.

I agree with Kathleen Lynch Irish media is tame. I am surprised that both Jim Power (Economist) and Nicole Cooke (Sunday Business Post) disagree with her. Initally they agree about RTÉ's news reporting but then she started talking about the Indo and the Times. The Jim and Nicole try to list of all the great and good of Irish Journalism. And she was right there are a handful including VB. I however would have mentioned The Sunday Business Post as a analytical news report paper. TV news and Newspaper reports however general are tame and give you the news from the press office. I have seen so many reports were reporters have just read a press release and then regurgitated it. This is why the media seem so in favour of FG/FF.

On Today with Pat Kenny Terry Prone was pointing out how Eamon Gilmore last night try to get Enda Kenny on his 5billion blackhole, she said Enda was able to answer that with figure courtesy of ........... The ESRI and The Dept of Finance because they are good people to provide you with figures.

Reporters shouldn't just say Labour Leader Eamon Gilmore has stated their is a blackhole of 5billion in FGs numbers they should go out and find out how Labour come up with this figure and then report on what is being said not state what has been said by whomever. The same goes when Enda Kenny states Labour are a party of High Taxes the reporters should look to see what FG are doing different report on their stealth taxes and look to see what labour have said.

From TV3 News to me this is doesn't tell any of the story and isn't even a good bitsized version but in a way quite pro FF. 1. Show the disparities between LP and FG and 2. Showing that Michéal giving Gerry a dig about economics, usual TV and News reporting: -
    The five-way leaders's debate last night was marked by sharp clashes on taxation, the restructuring of the banks and health.

The 90-minute debate saw repeated arguments between Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny and Labour leader Eamon Gilmore on policy issues, with Mr Kenny rejecting Labour claims of a €5 billion "black hole" in its financial calculations.

Labour leader Eamon Gilmore claimed that Fine Gael's economic policies would result in higher taxes, more people out of work and no recovery.

The debate also saw repeated attacks by Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin and other party leaders on Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams and his party's economic policies.

Two more debates between the leaders of Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail are scheduled before the general election.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Fis Nua and New Vision are 2 separate parties.
    I get that now!
    I think presenting the party as Fís Nua (New Vision) is counterproductive though with another very different group around with the same name. It's not as if Sinn Féin would put an English translation in brackets after their name!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement