Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

AOwannabe wrote: »
    I'm staying up to read your reply to the latest post on the "Don't tell the bride" thread :D

lol... just warming up the poison pen as we speak..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

Anybody staying up to watch the mid terms with Tubridy?

No, it's on a bit late. I'm going to bed - I'm knackered. Said that to a Traveller once, but I think I got away with it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Watched Vincent last night with that John lonergan guy on it. Honest to god, I try to see things from his point of view but ultimately I think it's a joke how he ran the prison system. I think he said "between humanity and security, I always took the side of humanity" which to me seems like he neglected his role as Governor because security should be the main issue when working in a prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Watched Vincent last night with that John lonergan guy on it. Honest to god, I try to see things from his point of view but ultimately I think it's a joke how he ran the prison system. I think he said "between humanity and security, I always took the side of humanity" which to me seems like he neglected his role as Governor because security should be the main issue when working in a prison.

You have to have a balance in terms of both. Lonergan possibly had a better grasp of that in comparison to the current Governor. Antagonizing prisoners can lead you into a situation that is far from secure (e.g. the riot a few weeks ago), being overly nice to prisoners can have them walking all over you (e.g. giving Liam Lawlor a cell of his own). You need to strike a balance.

Elmo wrote: »
    You have to have a balance in terms of both. Lonergan possibly had a better grasp of that in comparison to the current Governor. Antagonizing prisoners can lead you into a situation that is far from secure (e.g. the riot a few weeks ago), being overly nice to prisoners can have them walking all over you (e.g. giving Liam Lawlor a cell of his own). You need to strike a balance.

Didn't someone on here say that the riots a few weeks ago were the prisoners testing the new governor or something. But fair point anyway, striking a balance is important to keep order in certain ways. But security is still the main thing. He said he deemed it immoral to search kids, cause it was traumatising enough for kids to be in a prison. But at the same time, if the gaurdian of the child is hiding stuff on the kid then they're pretty much allowing things to be smuggled, and he wonders why it's is hard to stop drugs from getting into the prisons.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Didn't someone on here say that the riots a few weeks ago were the prisoners testing the new governor or something. But fair point anyway, striking a balance is important to keep order in certain ways. But security is still the main thing. He said he deemed it immoral to search kids, cause it was traumatising enough for kids to be in a prison. But at the same time, if the gaurdian of the child is hiding stuff on the kid then they're pretty much allowing things to be smuggled, and he wonders why it's is hard to stop drugs from getting into the prisons.

I am sure many people will alluded to what people do and to why people do it. The children in many cases should possible be taken from some parents but then the HSE/Social Services don't have a good record on that issue.

It will always be hard to stop drugs. You really need a system that divides non-users from users and users from recovering addicts. The system is supposed to reform people and if it doesn't do that then it fails.

However drug addicts weather you like it or not cannot be starved of their habit it, and no matter how much we want to suggest we can force people off such habits we know that that does not work people need to want to recover. I think no matter how strict, drugs will enter the prison system and to deal with a high number of cold turkey prisoners would be a security issue.

Vincent on now... some wishy washy Green, Fintan O'Toole promoting some book, and Pearse Doherty (after his court win today regarding the by-election)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Fianna Fail didn't send anyone to tonight's show to discuss the by-election. Who is this Green Party lightweight?

Havent seen him that regularly...

Niall Ó Brolcháin

He has the look of a shinner to be honest... Ó Brolcháin performed poorly so far tonight... vincent easily tripped him up with his typically pedantic questions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Dreadful performance from Ó Brolcháin. If you're going to do that 'question-dodging' thing, you really need to have either the arrogance or charisma to carry it off properly. VB should have destroyed him, Paxman-style.

Fintan O'Toole is very impressive, as always.

• Advertisement

The Green Party website administrator should double check his work...
    .He was subsequently elected in the Seanad bye election of December 2010, winning 119 of 205 votes.

... unless of course they can now see into the future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Vinny: (incredulous) Will the Greens get any votes at the next election?!
    Odious Green Senator: (Po-faced and indignant) Well we'll all get at least one vote.
    Vinny: (Facetious and not unreasonable) Why would you vote for yourself.
    :D

I love Vinny.

Cant believe he said.. "I would vote for myself, cos I believe in myself"... oh good lord...

Strong performance by Pearse Doherty, a good day for him indeed... Cheap shot against him that journalist wan...

haha Niall got taken to the cleaners today by Vince and co. He really kept on digging a hole for himself with the question dodging

That Finton O' Toole book looks like it's worth the read

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

Very disappointed with Ó Brolcháin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Anyone that missed last night's programme, here's the TV3 link

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne

The Green (unelected) senator was horrific. I think it deserves an apres match sketch, it was that bad.

It reminded me of Sarah Palin's devastating interview with Katie Couric.

He seems to have no intelligence whatsoever.

I think the problem the greens have is that they have to continue to defend the previous FF/PD governments. You will of course note that the 9 other unelected senators, but then I suppose we should be grateful that Senator Eoin Harris doesn't go around presenting TV shows.

Marianne McKeon

In the United States they also have elected administrations in each state. MEP's total 736 and will soon rise to 751. A better comparison to Ireland would be a specific state legislature such as Louisanne which has 106 in the lower house and 39 in the upper house, while Kentucky has 100 and 34 respectively. (both then have a separate executive branch made up of the Governor and his Cabinet). And in relation to EU states we are fairly average in terms of numbers.

Discussing the 6 billion euro adjustment tonight.

Dan O Brien from the Irish Times usually talks sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

It is absolutely crazy that FAS are still training builders.

Dan O Brien from the Irish Times usually talks sense.

He does, unlike Michael Taft.

• Advertisement

I agree with Dan for what it's worth.. "While I have it I'll spend it"... Who adds to current expenditure, knowing that he may not always have it.. I guess McCreevy is out of it and worth a few million now anyway, I'm sure he doesnt care..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

how come the chicks that go through the papers are usually very good looking?? well, 2 of them anyway!

Yeah Niamh Lyons is quite a looker, such a shame she works for The Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd smash and grab her!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Yeah Niamh Lyons is quite a looker, such a shame she works for The Daily Mail.

it's a shame sarah mcinerney works for the sunday times too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

how come the chicks that go through the papers are usually very good looking?? well, 2 of them anyway!

Notice how they are almost always dark-haired.
    Sarah Mcinerney, Niamh Lyons, even your one on before Niamh Lyons...
    At this stage i am convinced Vinny has a thing for brunettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Notice how they are almost always dark-haired.
    Sarah Mcinerney, Niamh Lyons, even your one on before Niamh Lyons...
    At this stage i am convinced Vinny has a thing for brunettes.

I'd just be happy /surprised if he had a thing.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    I'd just be happy /surprised if he had a thing.

Vince has an animal magnetism as far as the ladies are concerned.biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Jaysus i just watched the funniest Vincent Browne in along time. Frank McBrearty has made a show of Labour and himself. He was so funny talking through his arse.

Ireland has €8 bonds... It's worth a watch on the catch up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

baldbear wrote: »
    Jaysus i just watched the funniest Vincent Browne in along time. Frank McBrearty has made a show of Labour and himself. He was so funny talking through his arse.

Ireland has €8 bonds... It's worth a watch on the catch up!

It was hilarious alright. What a group of idiots. The Labour guy particularly stood out as annoying. They couldn't run a bath, one texter said. Sums it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement