Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TONIGHT With Vincent Browne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Even the boards.ie poll doesnt give Bill much of a chance (thank god)

Whys Carey so close to the camera in those :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That Ganley was talking alot of bollocks there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You know, if Bill is a doctor I think it is better and safer for the public that he is entering public life and quitting his medical career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Ganley proved yet again to be an utter arrogant a***hole.
    What?

Compared to Bill who had to resort to a who can shout the loudest competition. Outside of thinking he's arrogant on which point was he wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

SugarHigh wrote: »
    He would have no chance of getting elected because people seem to be very suspicious of him based on nothing. The truth is the Irish prefer to be lied to and anyone who tells the truth is looked on as having a hidden agenda.

Spot on. RTE did an 'investigation' on the guy in the run up to Lisbon that practically had the JAWS theme running in the background; they uncovered absolutely nothing sinister.
    If people have any kind of proof that he's some kind of fascist/has a hidden agenda i'd genuinely love to hear it.
    I'm not a supporter of him now but i'd certainly be against him if i heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

back tomorrow night from 11 to 4.30 or whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

does Michael Noonan remind anyone else of

dr_evil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Jackie and Michael Healy Rae will now finish the night off with the national anthem

HealyRae_1189166417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

were the boards election results?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SWK

Back up your cynicism with something more substantial than "He has shifty eyes and a weird accent so I don't trust him".

Ah sure google him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Does anyone here have a credible argument against what Declan is saying. It all just seems to be conspiracy theories of "Hidden agendas".

He was speaking a lot of sense. Bond holders don't show loyalty to each other and the only reason we need to borrow from the ECB is because we haven't dumped the debt. Is there any reason why we couldn't re-enter the markets?

I agree with Declan that the markets would have more confidence in us if we weren't held down with debt.

Declan's strategy is to play a game of chicken and there is chance we could win and be in a much better position, but there is a significant chance that we would loose badly. If we end up being forced out of the euro and we bring back the punt, you can expect it's value to plummet faster than a lead ballon. We're talking about a devaluation on the scale of 50% in meer weeks. The amount of inflation that will cause would not have been seen in Europe since the Weinmar republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

What?

Compared to Bill who had to resort to a who can shout the loudest competition. Outside of thinking he's arrogant on which point was he wrong?

considering that Emperor Ganley was interrupting everyone with Vinnie cackling in the backround then yer man was kind of right to shout ganley down, its a pity he didn't punch the smug b******d really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This comment on Twitter made me laugh:
    Vera never got Bill Tormey as upset as this when he was on Coronation Street

I wasn't familiar with Bill before this but I shouldn't forget him in a hurry after that performance.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Spot on. RTE did an 'investigation' on the guy in the run up to Lisbon that practically had the JAWS theme running in the background; they uncovered absolutely nothing sinister.
    If people have any kind of proof that he's some kind of fascist/has a hidden agenda i'd genuinely love to hear it.
    I'm not a supporter of him now but i'd certainly be against him if i heard it.
    No one in this thread has even attempted to back up why they disagree with him. It's all based on disliking his personalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

sink wrote: »
    Declan's strategy is to play a game of chicken and there is chance we could win and be in a much better position, but there is a significant chance that we would loose badly. If we end up being forced out of the euro and we bring back the punt, you can expect it's value to plummet faster than a lead ballon. We're talking about a devaluation on the scale of 50% in meer weeks. The amount of inflation that will cause would not have been seen in Europe since the Weinmar republic.

but....but....we voted yes to lisbon, yes to jobs, yes to recovery?
    they can't throw us out if we default, because they'd be throwing out Ireland,Portugal,Spain,Greece,etc,etc.
    More likely scenario would be Germany reintroducing Deutschmark and leaving the rest of us in the ****!!

found boards election results. em, not exactly em, exact.

considering that Emperor Ganley was interrupting everyone with Vinnie cackling in the backround then yer man was kind of right to shout ganley down, its a pity he didn't punch the smug b******d really.
    I'm not even sure if you are being serious. You really viewed it as Declan interrupting bill and not the other way round?

How many times did Vincent have to tell BIll to shut up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ok folks ty for the banter but its not the same wen your not watching

Vinnie boy is the bomb, peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

BUt if its done in a way where the so called PIGS would bring down the entire Euro, then Europe would have little choice but to introduce some sort of scheme where the debt is spread out more evenly. This would make sense as this debt is no more mine than it is any french or german citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

I take it you voted Fine Gael then?

• Advertisement

scargill wrote: »
    but....but....we voted yes to lisbon, yes to jobs, yes to recovery?
    they can't throw us out if we default, because they'd be throwing out Ireland,Portugal,Spain,Greece,etc,etc.
    More likely scenario would be Germany reintroducing Deutschmark and leaving the rest of us in the ****!!

Same thing really, if Germany goes many others will follow suit. Only the countries in the ****ter will be left with the euro and and it will just be the euro plummeting rather than the punt. We need germany to keep the currency credible.

You are making out that taking on the debt and guaranteeing the banks isn't also a massive gamble that can lead to default when we become insolvent.

mickdw wrote: »
    BUt if its done in a way where the so called PIGS would bring down the entire Euro, then Europe would have little choice but to introduce some sort of scheme where the debt is spread out more evenly. This would make sense as this debt is no more mine than it is any french or german citizen.
    Exactly, it's very likely they will kick that many countries out of the Euro. How likely are they to kick even one out?

Exactly, it's not very likely they will kick that many countries out of the Euro. How likely are they to kick even one out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I didn't get the impression he was advocating a game of chicken. Seemed to me he was suggesting that we negotiate from a position that suggests that anything would be better than the position we are currently in. To say 'we simply cannot afford this debt and it will destroy us'. He made a point of suggesting that a main tenet of the negotiational standpoint should concentrate on some kind of federalisation of the debt.
    Perhaps he has some kind of hidden agenda to take down Europe etc; but i've seen no proof of it before and didn't tonight.

Germany can go back to the DM easily enough. Infact it's value would likely rise significantly early on. We'd be left holding the can. We're counting on Germany not taking the option to go back to it's own independent currency and they're as likely to do that as take on all our bank debt. Remember if they take on our bank debt they're going to have to do the same for all the PIIGS.

i dont disagree with what gangly is saying, but rather the reasons he's saying it.

Same thing really, if Germany goes many others will follow suit. Only the countries in the ****ter will be left with the euro and and it will just be the euro plummeting rather than the punt. We need germany to keep the currency credible.
    I don't think there is any chance of Germany dumping the euro. If they were worried about a weak currency they never would have joined the euro. They had by far the strongest currency and always knew they would be switching to a weaker one.
    There hasn't been any indication that they would consider dropping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You are making out that taking on the debt and guaranteeing the banks isn't also a massive gamble that can lead to default when we become insolvent.

we have the figures... deficit last year 19 Billion, reduced the expenditure by 6 Billion, and added 8 Billion interest (on the bailout)... is anybody else in denial about the fact that we WILL default... it's just the political parties (bar SF) that dont see it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

this was very entertaining indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement